SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of Edge Racing andy prospective SSW Wheel buyers

Well I tried to mount my SSW T-Rexs today, but lo and behold Edge Racing didn't send me centering rings, and the rims aren't hub-centric.

So I called Edge Racing, only to discover this is a standard ploy they run, not sending them.

If you don't call within a couple of weeks, they won't send them to you for free, you have to buy them seperately. They also don't mention that the wheels need them anywhere on the website, and they don't list them as equipment inlcuded in the parts manifest.

I was also told by Leo that centering rings aren't necessary, and he called me a liar when I told them it was illegal here in Germany to not have them. He insisted that they don't do anything, and that the bolts will hold the wheel fine. He also kept saying it was my own fault for not noticing they weren't included and calling right away.

I said that I didn't know the wheels required them (never bought aftermarket wheels before), and that I couldn't know until I tried to put the wheels on, which was now after snow season. He then told me about how just recently when he was arrested, that the officer told him that ignorance of the law was no excuse.

I told him that he just compared buying wheels from Edge Racing to committing a crime, was he sure he wanted to do that.
After losing my temper when he started lying to me again, I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said he wasn't in, but he could give me the voicemail of the supervisor, Alex. So, I hung up, called back and dialed in Alex's voicemail extension. It was Leo's voice.

So I called back again, and this time got Tony in technical support. He said the exact same lines as Leo (you could tell this is a well rehearsed scam), and again when I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said that all he could do was give me "Alex's" voicemail, since he wasn't in. I asked him if Alex was going to call me back, and he said no. He compared me wanting them to send the rings a couple months after the original order to trying to return clothing to a store two months later after having worn it. He also insisted that centering rings are only there to help mount the wheel, they aren't necessary, but he would be happy to charge me $25 for them, just not ship them to my APO address.

I never could get an answer as to why they intentionally didn't send the Rings, making it incumbent upon me to notify them immediately of their mistake (even though there was no parts manifest listing the rings).

I also asked about the fact that the bolts they sent were only 25mm long (stock 33mm) and he assured me that was fine also.

At any rate, I don't know if I'll ever be able to mount my SSWs, since I don't think any of the a$$holes at Edge Racing are going to send me the correct centering rings, even though I paid for them again. It sounded like the ones he wanted to send me are the wrong size anyways.

Sorry icebiker, guess you won't get to see the rims, and I get to keep driving on the Bubbled Dunlop until my OZs get here, sometime within the next month.

When I asked the local wheel shop if today if they could sell me a centering ring that was close in size, he said no, even a milimeter difference isn't safe and I was better off driving on the bubbled Dunlop, which wouldn't be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Re: Beware of Edge Racing andy prospective SSW Wheel buyers ("R" Kelly)

i tried to order those wheels as well. on their site they listed as instock. after a little run around i was told they were out and on back order. ok i said how long. "we aren't able to say". i couldn't believe that couldn't even give a guess. i just told them to forget it.

i asked about rings and was soft shoed some but they told me they would be included because i asked.

mike

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

What a bunch of jerks!! I hate terrible customer service, too!!

The more you buy over the internet, the more chances you have of this happening.

I would work many hours overtime to satisfy an online business because of the potential to make a lot of money. People just don't have a clue when it comes to customer service. I ordered my MOMO shift knob last Wed. and just today they sent me an email stating that they don't have any in stock. And I called them for the last four hours to cancel and no one answers their phone...and a local number at that!!

Anyway, you almost have enough wheels to open your own business.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Kelly, please be sure to report them to the BBB ... you can report and query online now and it is an even more effective tool coupled with the internet

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

That's f'upped. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
What ever happened to the customer is always right?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

Look up in the sky...
It's a bird
It's a plane
No, it's Super George to the rescue! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Viva la ViVA!!!

George - You personify what a real vendor providing real customer service is all about! KUDOS.

BTW - What's up with shady wheel companies!?!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

I don't know the law in germany but any wheel with tapered lug nuts would be centered around the bolt circle and not the hub anyway. For a wheel to be truly hub centric it would have to be a VERY stiff fit of the hub and have shouldered lug nuts. Quite a few cars in the 60's and 70's (yes I know that was a long time ago.....) had different sized hubs front to rear with a single wheel available. Been a long time since I've had to hammer a wheel off for anything other than corrosion. Not supporting Edge racing's attitude, just providing info.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

I would definately talk to a rep at SSW and have them talk to Edge, they have a concern that there product is being sold properly.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Beware of Edge Racing andy prospective SSW Wheel buyers (Lightspeed)

Quote, originally posted by Lightspeed »
That's f'upped. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
What ever happened to the customer is always right?

If you're a Volvo customer then you're always wrong no matter what

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
sometimes I wish I was there in person (not on a phone), and I wish I was 7 feet tall and about 400 lbs.

the BS would stop.

Send Leo a package in the mail full of doo doo.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

A tire centre in the area could provide you with hub ring for 3 Euro PP or so..

Why make such a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Beware of Edge Racing andy prospective SSW Wheel buyers (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
A tire centre in the area could provide you with hub ring for 3 Euro PP or so..

Why make such a big deal out of it.

I went to a tire center yesterday, did you read the post?

They told me that since they don't sell SSW, they can not provide a hub ring, I would have to go back to place I purchased wheels from.

Are you saying to put a non-SSW ring on my car? Tire center said even a millimeter difference was bad.

And the big deal was to warn people about what sort of company Edge Racing turned out to be.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Did you measure the rim at all?

Can you provide a picture of the inside of the rim?

Here is a list of some of the available sizes.
The Volvo uses 65 mm hub so the ring inside diameter should be 65+, there are plenty of 65.07 in that list.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Kelly, thanks for the head's up. SOrry you had such a lousy experience. As for me, I had pretty much decided against the SSW's by virtue of the spoke's susceptibility to rash vs the Pegs (which are already tough to keep blemish free). I've also been on the fence re going to 18's given the lower sidewall height.
Hope the ring thing works out for you. They still are a sharp looking wheel set, and given the guidance from some of the guys on the forum, you may just find a solution yet. As for Edge, you might want to report your experience to the BBB. I've done this before on some home-related stuff, and was pleased with the outcome and resolution. More than anything, it got action.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

I went to a tire center yesterday, did you read the post?

They told me that since they don't sell SSW, they can not provide a hub ring, I would have to go back to place I purchased wheels from.

Are you saying to put a non-SSW ring on my car? Tire center said even a millimeter difference was bad.

And the big deal was to warn people about what sort of company Edge Racing turned out to be.

Kelly, the hub bore of the wheels are 73mm.

http://www.stamford-tires.com/ssw/s013.php

You can get hubcentric rings with a OD of 73mm and ID of 65.xx mm at almost any tire/wheel shop. they don't have to be SSW rings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: Beware of Edge Racing andy prospective SSW Wheel buyers (vintagemilano)

Quote, originally posted by vintagemilano »
I don't know the law in germany but any wheel with tapered lug nuts would be centered around the bolt circle and not the hub anyway. For a wheel to be truly hub centric it would have to be a VERY stiff fit of the hub and have shouldered lug nuts.
Agree. I used rings off and on on my GS 400 with Mile Miglia... Wheel is centered by the lug nut, not by the ring, which has at least 1 mm gap around the hub. You won't feel any difference. I believe the rings are provided to easier align the lug nut when installing the wheel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts