SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day Gents!
Just to share my story with you guys.
Recently, I've been pre-occupied with another type of vehicle (bought a sport cruiser boat) so I somehow neglected my XC90 and all its much needed TLC. After some bitching and whining from her, she finally gave me the slap. In a span of one month(Christmas time too!), memory seats, rear left door locks, side engine mount, angle gear collar, and turbocharger...gave in! No accidents...nothing unusual happened...she just got a bit jealous and gave me the finger. Anyway, I now purchased about $1500 worth of parts to fix her up from IPD and FCP...Only thing I need is a Turbocharger.
Called a dealer for a quote = $1460 AUD
Called a rebuilder for a rebuild = $990 AUD + core
Hmmm... But still a bit expensive.
Only thing left would be a used junkyard turbo...and to check on Ebay!

So, I went to Ebay and typed in turbocharger xc90 2.5
A few listing came out...usual second hand ones...refurbished ones(which cost more than a brand new one FYI)...then saw this!(see picture)

Sweet! And the asking price is...$435 including shipping! Wow! It looks exactly like the one I have! With the logo casting and everything...But wait a minute, it doesn't have the ID plate. That's a bit odd. Could it be a fake?
After scrutinizing it for 30minutes...comparing every minute detail to a real one, I noticed that the screws are different, and the precision of machining is a bit off.

By the way, here's a photo of a real one from FCP Euro.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-turbo-charger-36002369

So what do you guys think? I call it fake.
Amazing how close they make em now! I contacted the seller confirming its authenticity...upon writing this down, I still haven't gotten a reply from him.

But my question is, if let's say you bought a second hand car, and it had THIS in it...would you be able to tell?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Counterfeit goods been around for a looooooooooong time.

I would get a used turbo instead.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-OEM-2...ash=item3f5975a005:g:avcAAOxydB1SgSQP&vxp=mtr

Did you find out what killed your last turbo? If that issue is not fixed yet, it's going to kill your new turbo as well.
Yeah, but they weren't cocky enough to copy even the logo...we'll not from here anyways.

I think old age killed it. The car has done a good 240k kms so I would say it would be wear and tear. It was still working (spooling and boosting). It was just dumping oil on the intake tube and a bit noisy when it spools.

I was more scared when the collar sleeve went out. Was accelerating hard from a stop then BANG! I thought I was rear ended. Next thing you know, no more AWD.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Old age doesn't kill a turbo. Lack of quality oil supply, plugged oil return, inline oil restrictor on oil journal turbo, clogged exhaust/catalytic converter, clogged PCV system, excessive blow-by, torn CBV diaphragm, torn hoses, lack of air filter, etc kills turbo.

Dumping oil on intake, that is usually a sign your PCV system is not working correctly. I'd replace the PCV, clean up everything and then wait a bit first before replacing the turbo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PCV WAS clogged and was serviced a year ago... I guess it took its toll on the turbo...not to mention my driving style. I drove a Sub Forester XT (twin turbo mod) prior to moving to the XC so I guess I was kinda hard on it. Trust me, when you see my driving habits, you'd say I was lucky the turbo made it 240k kms. :D

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I used a junk ebay turbo for 75k with no problems. Sold the car with it and it's probably still going fine.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you notice a decrease of performance?
I wouldn't mind installing it if it's for another car. Problem with the layout of the XC90, is you need to remove the angle gear to install the Turbo properly. With that, you need to remove front axle, part of exhaust, etc. If it breaks in a year, that's a LOT of labor.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Check out erievolvo.com. They will probably have a couple in stock.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Did you notice a decrease of performance?
I wouldn't mind installing it if it's for another car. Problem with the layout of the XC90, is you need to remove the angle gear to install the Turbo properly. With that, you need to remove front axle, part of exhaust, etc. If it breaks in a year, that's a LOT of labor.
It was a vw and the turbo was blown so the only thing I noticed was an increase

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts