SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys looking for a little help on answering a few question i have not been able to find a definitive answer on.

I recently purchased a beautiful 2000 XC70 SE 95,xxx miles for $400. Sadly it is suffering from what i have learned to be a very common
failure of the transfer case/bevel gear. As of now symptoms would be a very loud whining noise from the transfer case.
I am assuming this means it originally was a bearing failure due to poor lubrication. Also assuming since i have not separated
the unit yet that this more then likely has damaged the gear/sleeve combo.

Like others the AWD is not a deal breaker for me as it is a 3rd car. So from what i have read i have 3 options at this point (if i have other options feel free to chime in.)

1. Replace with a new unit for about $1200 (used has been impossible to find due to being a 2000)
2. "Modification" Removing the unit and some how bracing the sleeve into input to seal. (Can some one link to pictures of this because I'm having trouble picturing this)
3. If possible swap in a non awd transmission? (Thus is more of a question then a statement)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If the bearings are worn you can replace them. You would obviously have to inspect to make sure there isn't damage beyond the noisy bearings but it's doable. Then take the opportunity to install new seals, the updated vent and possibly a drain while the case is open and put it back together. The pinned AWD thread at the top of this forum has the bearing numbers listed I believe. If you go this route I would also replace the sleeve between the gearbox and angle gear as that's likely worn.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hello,

I have a used unit from a '00 XC if you're interested. You're right, they are hard to find for a 2000...

Had slight input spline wear, pretty common. Loctite'd the coupler in place, should be fine for many more miles.

PM if interested, thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try removing the rear driveshaft and see if the noise is gone. If it's still there you can remove the angle gear and leave the collar in place, however, I've tried this and I could never get it to seal, it leaked everywhere.

I ended up just putting a FWD Transmission in it. They are very cheap used since they rarely fail. $275 for a 66,000 mile trans that shifts like new. It's a direct bolt up, you just have to get a FWD right axle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I have a used unit from a '00 XC if you're interested. You're right, they are hard to find for a 2000...

Had slight input spline wear, pretty common. Loctite'd the coupler in place, should be fine for many more miles.

Joe
If i end up replacing it i definitely will send you a a pm. Where are you located?

Try removing the rear driveshaft and see if the noise is gone. If it's still there you can remove the angle gear and leave the collar in place, however, I've tried this and I could never get it to seal, it leaked everywhere.

I ended up just putting a FWD Transmission in it. They are very cheap used since they rarely fail. $275 for a 66,000 mile trans that shifts like new. It's a direct bolt up, you just have to get a FWD right axle.
Yeah i was hoping this wouldn't be an issue but didn't know if there was a computer related issue that would prevent me form swapping a fwd tranny in. Do you know if my transmission is as special as the angle gear assembly?
Or can i use any 98-2000 v70/s70 auto trans?

Thanks for all the responses guys

·
Registered
291 Posts
There shouldn't be any computer issues. I'm running a FWD transmission with an AWD Trans Computer. The AWD and FWD transmissions are controlled the same. You should find a FWD Trans for a FWD 2.4 turbo car, 1998-2000. These transmissions are easy to find. Try www.car-part.com for local listings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There shouldn't be any computer issues. I'm running a FWD transmission with an AWD Trans Computer. The AWD and FWD transmissions are controlled the same. You should find a FWD Trans for a FWD 2.4 turbo car, 1998-2000. These transmissions are easy to find. Try www.car-part.com for local listings.
Thank you very much same to the rest of you also.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after reading threw the sticky i have decided i am going to take a shot at rebuilding the angle gear.

To keep the car use full while i do this i am going to use the Angle gear delete method.

Am i missing something in the AWD components thread? I don't see the part numbers for the seals/retainer clip that fit to the transmission side.
Any info on where i can obtain these part numbers (or tell me how im doing it wrong lol)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
So after reading threw the sticky i have decided i am going to take a shot at rebuilding the angle gear.

To keep the car use full while i do this i am going to use the Angle gear delete method.
Am i missing something in the AWD components thread? I don't see the part numbers for the seals/retainer clip that fit to the transmission side.
Any info on where i can obtain these part numbers (or tell me how im doing it wrong lol)
Post # 8 has the numbers for the seals at the diff output. There are three different seals, one for the 5 speed auto ('00 R) one for the 4 speed auto, and one for the M66. Inner seal for the axle pass through is the same for all.

Unfortunately, since you have an '00, the bearing numbers are useless to you. '00 BG uses Koyo bearings. I was never able to determine the part numbers for these.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post # 8 has the numbers for the seals at the diff output. There are three different seals, one for the 5 speed auto ('00 R) one for the 4 speed auto, and one for the M66. Inner seal for the axle pass through is the same for all.

Unfortunately, since you have an '00, the bearing numbers are useless to you. '00 BG uses Koyo bearings. I was never able to determine the part numbers for these.
I sent Jtekt an email and they feel confident if i can get them accurate measurements and a few other specs of info that they can identify the bearings. Im hoping i can accomplish this once i have the assembly disassembled.

Also im sure you have heard this a hundred times by now but your thread was a wealth of info. Thank you very much for the time you vested into it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I sent Jtekt an email and they feel confident if i can get them accurate measurements and a few other specs of info that they can identify the bearings. Im hoping i can accomplish this once i have the assembly disassembled.

Also im sure you have heard this a hundred times by now but your thread was a wealth of info. Thank you very much for the time you vested into it.

When I had my original '00 angle gear apart, I believe there were numbers on the bearings. I also read somewhere that the pinion bearings and crush sleeve are the same as the older RWD Volvos, not sure how true that is :-\.

Are the gears and input splines good on yours? Long as it's just bearings, a rebuild shouldn't be too terrible :).

Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When I had my original '00 angle gear apart, I believe there were numbers on the bearings. I also read somewhere that the pinion bearings and crush sleeve are the same as the older RWD Volvos, not sure how true that is :-\.

Are the gears and input splines good on yours? Long as it's just bearings, a rebuild shouldn't be too terrible :).

Joe

Not 100% sure yet as its coming apart tomorrow but the fact the only signs of trouble as of now is a bearing noise from the BG. So i have high hopes.

Not going this route but i did stumble onto some info about an axle ipd offered at one time that actually allowed 2000 owners to use the older more common
bevel gear on out cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Joe

Hi. Im looking for an angle drive for my V70R AWD 2000, do you still have this part availiable? The part number I'm after is #8601587.

Silika

1 - 14 of 14 Posts