SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2010 V8 with 145k on the clock has just been diagnosed with a failed bevel gear -- which means AWD is out and I am front wheel drive only. 3,000 estimate to repair (fair price?) from a reputable indy.

I love this car, and original plan is to drive it into the ground. With 145k mileage, what's the opinion on making this repair vs. just letting it go and continuing in FWD mode? Being in Seattle, we don't get much snow, but when we do, it's hilly and the AWD is useful, if not essential. I do have a pickup truck with 4WD, so it's an option if it can be planned for.

If I can get another 100k out of the car, my inclination is to bite the bullet and get it done.

1. Is the repair fairly estimated?
2. What should I expect for total mileage/service life for a 2010 V8?

Opinions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
So my 2010 V8 with 145k on the clock has just been diagnosed with a failed bevel gear -- which means AWD is out and I am front wheel drive only. 3,000 estimate to repair (fair price?) from a reputable indy.

I love this car, and original plan is to drive it into the ground. With 145k mileage, what's the opinion on making this repair vs. just letting it go and continuing in FWD mode? Being in Seattle, we don't get much snow, but when we do, it's hilly and the AWD is useful, if not essential. I do have a pickup truck with 4WD, so it's an option if it can be planned for.

If I can get another 100k out of the car, my inclination is to bite the bullet and get it done.

1. Is the repair fairly estimated?
2. What should I expect for total mileage/service life for a 2010 V8?

Opinions?
I don't know how much difference it is from an 06 Xc90 2.5 - I just checked pricing.. Volvo bevel gear exchange is 1600 (for 2010, v8), probably + 200 refundable deposit - $200 for sleeve kit - I think I saw book time at 5 hours - assume $100/hr = Guess $2500 - 200 core = $2300 seems the most reasonable.

I don't have V8, but I expect 100k out of angle hear/collar and 300k out of car as a whole (2.5t engine)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Smae issue with me. I ignore the transfer case and AWD issue.
The car is FWD, zero issues.
I have a separate set of snow tires on 4 rims for winter.

Invest in 4 snow tires and rims (I bought used rims from Erie Volvo for about $400/set of 4) and this is a much better investment than running 4WD with 4-season tires.

·
Registered
564 Posts
V8s can last for well over 200k – one member on here in particular has~260k on his and it's still going strong. Plus, given that you bought an AWD car, it would be pointless to settle for FWD even if you'd scrape by. If you've got the means, definitely get it done.

Plus, knowing how drivers are around here (Vancouver, BC is no different hehe) when winter hits, the extra pair of drive wheels could very much come in handy :D

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
tomtoth's pricing estimate seems in range, assuming you're not getting the exchange angle gear at "list". And if you're getting a legitimate exchange, one would think it has been OEM refurbished to include a new collar (sleeve)? So my guess-timate is that, assuming the part if purchase by an OEM reseller at a reduced cost, you ought to be in the area of $2300 after taxes. Not having done it myself but having both a 2.5T and a V8 at home to compare, I think the V8 labor is likely much more for the R&R as it looks like the sub-frame plus exhaust manifolds have to come off as a minimum above the work that a 2.5T would require.

The issue, though, maybe what constitutes the judgement from your mechanic that the angle gear (aka bevel gear) has failed? It’s a pretty straight forward assembly. If it’s the “box of rocks” assessment, then maybe yes, it’s failed to the point of not being economical to repair. But if it’s the collar/sleeve, that ought to cost far less to resolve.

I’m wondering if another shop visit might be in order (second opinion), just to make sure you’re needing at a full replacement versus something smaller. Easier for any shop to do an R&R, especially if they have no experience in replacing a collar/sleeve. I live in your area so can suggest a few indy shops (depending on where you went to get your initial diagnosis). Can PM me if you want a few more options.

As far as running it FWD versus AWD, your call. To me, I bought an AWD as I needed an AWD. So I would be inclined to make the investment and get it back to working properly all things considered.

The V8 itself is turning out to be a pretty reliable powerplant with fewer regular tear-aparts than the 2.5 (timing belt and PCV service as the prime examples). Sure it gets hot under the hood and sure, you’ll probably be doing some auxiliary components over time (PS pump, alternator, water pump) but nothing that suggests you ought to be walking away right now. As far as life for this powerplant, itwontstopsnowin has two V8s, last I saw he had more than 255,000 on his XC90 (post regarding alternator failure).

At any rate, and for what it’s worth, I would get a second opinion and see if you can find someone to do a little more detailed analysis (assuming you don’t already have these facts in hand). Then make your plan.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had this twice
first time indy, change the entire thing about 2k
second car, different indy
change the sleeve only, 800 included amsoil and volvo filter

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been searching for an hour because I had no idea what an angle gear was, where it was located, how it failed or how to prevent its demise. Most of the failures seem to be in the 2001-7 XC70 models or the S60R models. I don't know if that has to do with the earlier Haldex I vs Haldex II systems or not. Given that I just bought a 2007 XC90 3.2 AWD last week, does anyone care to comment on how to possibly prevent such a failure? Obviously if the fluid leaks out, that's a problem :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine failed on my V8 at 40k after being gently driven by my wife. I was about 6 months out of the factory warranty but Volvo stepped up and replaced it at no charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts