SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<p>I did as much searching as I could do on the topic before posting, but no luck in finding some answers.<p>I believe my bevel gear is has a slow leak in it. When doing the ATF on my XC90 last week, I noticed a thin coating of smelly oil on what I surmise to be the bevel gear unit aside the transmission pan. In order to assess any immediate risk, how do you check the current fluid level in the unit? I have an appointment at the dealer next week (won't be driving it until then), but would like to do my own poking around before taking it there.<p>Also, if the leak is small and/or slow, what are the general approaches to fixing it? <p>And one last question -- are the V8 models subject to the same bevel gear problem, or is the AWD system different?<p>Any help is appreciated. I'm a bit miffed that my CPO expired last month, and I specifically took the car in beforehand because of some strange front axle behavior that could not be reproduced. If this ends up being a problem they could have found then, I'll be raising quite the stink with Volvo NA.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Bevel gear help needed (nsany)

There a fill plug beside the bevel gear. The oil needs to be level with that. You can top it up. To fix the leak, the housing needs to be split and re-sealed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Bevel gear help needed (nsany)

<br>Unless it is dripping it is not worth resealing. Even if you need to check it once a year.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Bevel gear help needed (dmd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dmd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Unless it is dripping it is not worth resealing. Even if you need to check it once a year.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Unless you got CPO warranty like me... I'm trying to get it resealed on warranty at next service. It will start dripping sooner or later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts