SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace turbo on 2006 AWD XC90. I cannot get the drive shaft to slide out of the bevel gear. I removed all of the torx bolts and the center bearing. The manual says to remove a screw around the center bearing not exactly sure what that means. All I see is the bearing and universal joints. Any suggestions on how to remove the front propellar shaft from the Angle Gear?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'm confused. Why are you taking out the angle gear and driveshaft to replace a turbo? I've always pulled them out the top. Seems like you may be removing unnecessary components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused. Why are you taking out the angle gear and driveshaft to replace a turbo? I've always pulled them out the top. Seems like you may be removing unnecessary components.
Ahh Snap. I'm just following the instructions in Vida/Dice. Do you have a write up with that procedure?

·
Registered
696 Posts
For the record, the front CV joint on the prop shaft can quite be "seized" to the transfer case or angle gear or whatever you want to call it. Force is your friend, and maybe some PB Blaster. You could try the following, at your own risk:

Car up on a lift or 4 stable jack stands. Front CV joint screws removed; rear CV joint screws still in place and torqued. Apply parking brake. Start engine and engage D or R. Give it some gas? Not sure how the Haldex unit will response to this, but it might break the joint free. Or maybe not? I can't remember if I used this method or not, but I at least considered it when I was having trouble getting mine dislodged.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I don't really have a "write-up" I've had many out over the years. I'm guessing the reason for taking out the angle gear in the repair instructions is for easier access to the oil return tube bolts. They can be removed with a 1/4" swivel T30.

I took a look at the repair instructions and I guess they have the turbo being removed with the manifold out the bottom. I'll just suggest you follow the instructions if you've never done this before but I know I've replaced these out the top. It's been a few years since I was at the dealer but I remember replacing two turbo's on XC90 5 cyl right off the delivery truck, maybe in 06-07. One had a large bolt in the compressor side and one was just noisy. I may have only replaced the cartridge and left the manifold on since they were so new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solution

Trying to replace turbo on 2006 AWD XC90. I cannot get the drive shaft to slide out of the bevel gear. I removed all of the torx bolts and the center bearing. The manual says to remove a screw around the center bearing not exactly sure what that means. All I see is the bearing and universal joints. Any suggestions on how to remove the front propellar shaft from the Angle Gear?
Just in case anyone ever tries this on a 2006 XC90 AWD. I had to drop the exhaust system. Then with a good firm downward jerk from where the Universal joint is, the shaft will just pop right out. Tip if the exhaust bolts can't be removed (center connection) You use an oscillating tool with a carbide blade. It will fairly easily cut the bolts off. Be sure you use oil or lubricant periodically as you cut the bolts, this will make the cutting faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts