SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I'm really looking forward on taking delivery on my 2018 XC 90 R-Design in Bursting Blue within the next week or so. It's been a long evaluation period between BMW, Audi, Volvo, and Acura, but I feel like I've made the right move for the next 36 months :) But it doesn't come without a gut check, especially reading all of the issues and reliability concerns on this and other Volvo Forums. Initially, I was in the market for the XC90 but moved away due to the concerns of software, non-starts, buyback stories (abeit it seems like Volvo USA has been excellent in working with customers in the reads I've read). I've evaluated Audi, BMW, and Acura, and ultimately decided to go Swede with Volvo. But I've just seen more than my fair share of issues, concerns, and buy backs that has me nervous.

I don't mind the SW bugs here and there, but I'll need this car to travel for work and transport my children and couldn't imagine being stuck on the side of the road on a long road trip. And the threads I've seen recently aren't small issues here and there, they are major non-starts, engine replacements, and long roads to Volvo buybacks. Don't get me wrong, I research extensively before the executing the decision to lease, but it seems more and more of the recent threads have been major problems and issues.

My question: Although rather new, have the 2018 XC 90 owners seen a decrease in major issues vs. 2016-2017 owners? Could it be safe to say that most of the major concerns were ironed out in the 3rd year?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
2018 owner here from a 2016 buyback. To make it short, Volvo is a great company to work with and the 2018s are night and day to the 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,748 Posts
Same here, they provided me trade in assistance concerning my 2016 and while I've only had my 2018 XC60 a short time with around 2k miles, the software speed and reliability has been night and day versus my prior 16 XC90 FE.

The process took a bit of time but I truly wanted to try and stay in a Volvo and as a company I feel they did right by me especially as a VERY early adopter of the new XC90 when it came out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I bought a 2018 T6 Momentum, it's a month old now with 2k miles, no problems at all so far! My wife loves her new XC90 :thumbup::beer::D

I spent a year on the forum prior to pulling the trigger, I had a fairly good idea of what I was getting into. Clearly the 2016 exhibited many "first model year" problems and I am grateful to the early adopters. For me 2017 would be fine but a 2018 is discounted just as much.

'Problems' very commonly reported These are subjective and depend on the model/trim selected, also what platform you're comparing against
- Cabin noise
- Ride quality
- Sensus loading

Actual problems, addressed during manufacturing
- Water leaks
- Incorrect spark plugs (affects 2016 model.) This is a big one, where you see the engine replacements.
- No Android Auto on some 2016 models due to USB architecture
- Battery drain (addressed via firmware update)
- Seat squeak, trim rattle etc
- Squealing brakes

·
Registered
150 Posts
New 2018 T8 owner here. Have experienced smallish minor issues in my first month of ownership. Remote start failed but solved by software update. Incorrect warnings of hybrid system failure and turn signal lamp failure - problem went away on its own within 3 -5 minutes. Now Volvo On Call service required error message - known issue and parts on back order but does not change how the car drives. Still happy to be driving this car. It's not a Toyota but it will do for us. Overall, many pleasing characteristics and features covered by many people here. That offsets the imperfections.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I picked up my 2018 T6 M+ last week, with 07/2017 build date. Issues I see so far (nothing compared to issues with the 2016 models):
- HUD position shifted up. I believe it's related to the driver profile. I deleted the driver profile, and have not noticed the shifting since
- Passenger side door tweeter rattles slightly on some songs with strong high frequency notes (standard sound system). Not bothering enough to bring it in

Sensus starts very quickly, like within 30 secs or so.

Local driving so far. Will take a long 2-week trip this weekend and see if more issues are observed with more time spent with the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I picked up my 2018 T6 M+ last week, with 07/2017 build date. Issues I see so far (nothing compared to issues with the 2016 models):
- HUD position shifted up. I believe it's related to the driver profile. I deleted the driver profile, and have not noticed the shifting since
- Passenger side door tweeter rattles slightly on some songs with strong high frequency notes (standard sound system). Not bothering enough to bring it in

Sensus starts very quickly, like within 30 secs or so.

Local driving so far. Will take a long 2-week trip this weekend and see if more issues are observed with more time spent with the vehicle.
Interestingly, both of those issues have been with the XC90 since the beginning (speaking as a May 2015 FE delivery). I had the car way before they added profiles (it was promised at launch and in the owner's manual but they left it out of the software until a year later) and by the time they did add it no one else in my household wanted to drive it so I never messed with them. So I can say that the HUD issue is likely unrelated to the user profile, though perhaps that makes it worse. It only happens to me infrequently. Always correctable by manually holding down the memory button until it repositions. There was a service bulletin (way before the '18 model year) that allegedly addresses the speaker rattle in the door. It definitely helped in mine. I still get in on music with very heavy bass or high volumes but don't notice it most of the time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me with that rattling going on in the passenger door... I'll bring it up at my service appointment on Tuesday

·
Registered
84 Posts
Over 4,000 miles since purchase in August. Car has been trouble free in every regard.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
People is very vocal when things go wrong, but most of us are extremely happy with our XC90's.
+1

I’ve had my 2016 for well over 2 years now and have experienced none of the no start issues nor any other major reoccurring reliability issues. It is a small vocal minority.....I’m happy to hear that Volvo has been doing the right thing with the buybacks when necessary but again it’s not a concern for the majority of 2016 or 17 vehicles. As time goes in, the percent of vehicles with issues will decrease so a 2018 should be even less likely to have any issue but please understand that the majority of us have few problems.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Only ~600 miles on our 2018 (which replaced a trade-assisted 2017) so far, but no issues other then remote start not working. Probably a software issue needing an update. VOC otherwise has been rock-solid so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
2018 t8...3 weeks old...had the voc issue, waiting on a battery replacement... hard to believe already a bad battery on a 3 week old car...but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was the first customer to take delivery of a 2018 Momentum (or any 2018 Volvo) at the dealership on 22 June. Build date was last week in April. So far no issues with 8K miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Volvo bought back our 2016 and we have a later 2017 T8. The only issues that we are having is the Tires, which are not nearly as smooth as the ones on our 2016. Two have been replaced, and it still has the balance issues, but not as bad. Everything else is great.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I got my 2018 R-Design T8 about a little over a month ago.

Issues I have had:
Loss of VOC, Onboard WiFi, and Travel Link connectivity - Fixed w/ software update
Alignment off from the factory - pulling to the right - Fixed w/ 4-wheel alignment - May also have been from aggressive tie down on the ship during the trip across the Atlantic, rather that from the factory.

Otherwise the initial quality on the car has been excellent. I do get some bass vibration at certain bass notes in the doors w/ my B&W sound system...debating whether to have the dealer look at it or just pulling the door panels and backing them w/ Dynamat which others have posted about doing here on the forum.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
2017 T5 Momentum since may 25th and have had very few if any problems. I would think my car was Japanese built if not for all of the folks posting here with their problems. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did an OSD on our 2017 XC90 Inscription, and now have over 9,000 miles. The only issue was a failed seat belt module. Absolutely no software glitches and we've been very impressed with the Nav system. It got us through LA rush hour traffic in making the I-5 to I-10 connection, without any stops. It made us enter and exit the XWay several times but we never stopped, thanks to live traffic updates.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
People is very vocal when things go wrong, but most of us are extremely happy with our XC90's.
+1

I’ve had my 2016 for well over 2 years now and have experienced none of the no start issues nor any other major reoccurring reliability issues. It is a small vocal minority.....I’m happy to hear that Volvo has been doing the right thing with the buybacks when necessary but again it’s not a concern for the majority of 2016 or 17 vehicles. As time goes in, the percent of vehicles with issues will decrease so a 2018 should be even less likely to have any issue but please understand that the majority of us have few problems.
Thanks for your feedback. I absolutely agree and it's good to see many in this thread are happy despite smaller issues. It's good to know that even in major concern or issues, Volvo does a great job taking care of their customers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts