SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I think it is a pretty cool idea. I've always been a fan of hidden lights behind the grill. If you have slotted fog light grilles, that is another option for install location. As long as they are legal I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
When I was still installing a guy came in with one of the $600 light led bars on top of his Chevy silverado. We played around with it and were very impressed with the light output.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is a pretty cool idea. I've always been a fan of hidden lights behind the grill. If you have slotted fog light grilles, that is another option for install location. As long as they are legal I say go for it.
Not too sure about the legality but where I live it's not a big deal everyone has extra lights

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
http://www.RigidIndustries.com/product-p/srseries6.htm I was thinking about putting this behind my grill to keep the clean look but add much needed light for the back roads. Good idea? Bad idea?
IT's a great idea! I have previously looked into this and will probably do the install this winter sometime. I am hoping to put two 6" light bars behind the grill operated by the aux light kit that I already have installed. The only issue might be interference from the PS(?) cooler and horns that share that same space.

·
Registered
598 Posts
would you be cutting out a small part of your grill for a flush install or just simply placing them behind your grill?
Gotta be 100% behind the grill for that stealth look.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would you be cutting out a small part of your grill for a flush install or just simply placing them behind your grill?
Definitely behind the grill so you can't see it during the day

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like the idea and might've gone with this instead of what I did for a couple reasons.

I've got flood pattern white Duallys installed in place of my original fogs, they are 1300 lumens each. Wishes:

I should have gone with the spot pattern
Probably should've chosen amber (though then I'd probably wish I'd have chosen white :rolleyes:)
Wish they could be mounted higher, but might not wish that if I had the spot pattern.

IMO having gotten the flood pattern, and looking at the lux charts on their website, I think the spots are still plenty wide with their throw.

They are BRIGHT, high quality, and pretty cool IMO. If I was spending someone else's money I'd get a 6" or 10" bar in white with the spot pattern behind the grille, and get both amber Dually D2's in the driving pattern or amber D1's in spot pattern to put in the stock fog light location (& mount only 1 set, but see which set I like better).

There are a couple guys here with Duallys too, hopefully they respond.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IT's a great idea! I have previously looked into this and will probably do the install this winter sometime. I am hoping to put two 6" light bars behind the grill operated by the aux light kit that I already have installed. The only issue might be interference from the PS(?) cooler and horns that share that same space.
Ya I don't have any already existing set up so I was also wondering how hard it will be to wire this

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great solution for those who are not fazed by the order of magnitude larger price tag...
ya thtas why i was looking at just a slim light bar looks easy to install and bright

·
Registered
236 Posts
do you have pictures of the led's behind the grille?

·
Registered
598 Posts
do you have pictures of the led's behind the grille?
I'm not sure anyone has mounted LEDs behind the grill yet. It's on my list of things to do but I have to finish my garage/workshop first!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It's going to be difficult to make it look like it should be there... If that makes sense.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think I have an idea that will allow for the installation of 2 x 6" lightbars behind the grill. I plan on tackling this in the new year ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'd be much happier with a 10" E series in a Spot and Flood Combo. I use two of the 20" SR series lights at work to light up the inside of glovebox. It is not going to wow you behind the grille. Trust me. It takes two of them to provide sufficient light.

Here is what the 20" looks like on the front of my Raptor...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts