SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fog lights on my 2005 V50T5 are useless - not near as bright as my S60 or even my old departed 2000 S40. Has anyone upgraded theirs and if so, what did you use? I'd like to find a quick "plug and play" upgrade rather than a major conversion project.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Take the plastic covers off. There is LOTS of room for whatever tickles your fancy.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The LEDs I put in have held up well and do have a very significant difference over stocks and are cheap and plug n play but not enough to safely drive with out headlights.

I head the CREE LED ones are pretty good but I wonder if they have over heating issues, I know HIDS in the fogs have over heating issues from my experience.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thats what I thought about mine until i found out they were aimed at the ground in front of the bumper, once aimed properly I can see their beam and are quite wide actually!! Give that a shot first.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Started off with standard fogs with halogen bulbs, replaced the bulbs with CREE LEDs and there was a significant difference in output. About a year later I got my hands on the OEM DRL "fogs" which are LEDs as well but "quality parts from Volvo" that the last couple of V50/S40/C30s got from factory. Could see a difference there as well, these are better than just switching to CREE LEDs off eBay but not by far.
Whatever you do, don't aim them too high just to get more spread - these tend to flash oncoming drivers quite bad. Talking from experience lol.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You have to take the cover off and there is a Philips screw facing you all you have to do is turn it one way or the other on a garage door when it's dark and make them even. I would raise them some go drive and see how you like them that's the best way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
Started off with standard fogs with halogen bulbs, replaced the bulbs with CREE LEDs and there was a significant difference in output. About a year later I got my hands on the OEM DRL "fogs" which are LEDs as well but "quality parts from Volvo" that the last couple of V50/S40/C30s got from factory. Could see a difference there as well, these are better than just switching to CREE LEDs off eBay but not by far.
Whatever you do, don't aim them too high just to get more spread - these tend to flash oncoming drivers quite bad. Talking from experience lol.
Do you have a part number for the oem drl bulbs?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
^Those OEM DRLs would be nice, how's the illumination in the dark though?

I bought the below LED bulbs, which claim some absurdly high lumen output (yet is obviously not the reality once installed), to try in low beams (despite what most of educated internet says and the perfect example that jschinito posted here of how they really perform http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ut-going-HID&p=2525254&viewfull=1#post2525254 ). After trying them in one 650 mile nighttime commute, I removed them and put the converted H9s back in the lows. So I took out my Nokya yellow bulbs from the fogs and removed the lamin-X yellow film, and put the LED bulbs in. They are quite bright, and actually seem to work better in reflector housings (nice flat cut-off), than in projector housings (cut-off in projector was like the photo that jschinito posted; rising cut-off moving away from center, just not good, and the throw/distance was not that great, compounded with a wicked bright direct foreground illumination = :thumbdown:). Once these are properly aimed they seem to provide more driving light than any fog bulb I have had thus far. Possible option OP, as they are very reasonable now. Also LED PNP bulb tech seems to be on the move right now, as Philips just cranked out an H4 headlight bulb that apparently actually works, similar to their H8/H9/H11 Ultinon but with enough lumens to use as headlights.

Bought these from amazon, because they have dropped to more than 50% of what they used cost.

Installed in fogs

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
looks great slipperyb. can you post the link to those led h11s again? i'm sure it's around here somewhere but i'm lazy to look today...
the form factor of the wiring/heat dissipator looks great, especially for tight spaces. if it doesn't cost too much over other h11 led kits i may consider them for my fogs as well

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Slipperyb:

TL;DR:
Brighter than the China LEDs I had before, but not mind = blown brighter.

I really should've taken side by side shots of the swap before I sold the old pair of fogs. :(
But I had something like these, LED H11 3W 300lm 7000k:

I have to admit that I expected more from the OEM DRL lights but the difference wasn't that big. Sure, it was noticeable but my GF wouldn't see the difference. Of course it's not for suitable for night time driving because it's not that bright at all, I use it for day time driving as most of us do. I also like that it looks like 4 small squares (as you can see in the Volvo link I posted earlier, also not blue-ish, more like 4500k).
IIRC Volvo had a campaign here regarding the DRLs because they were waaay to bright. Even at day time you'd get blinded by the light from a far so Volvo apparently did some SF adjustments.

I got mine used (almost mint condition) for like $70 shipped and as they're about $300 at the stealership I didn't hesitate for one second.

·
Registered
659 Posts
looks great slipperyb. can you post the link to those led h11s again? i'm sure it's around here somewhere but i'm lazy to look today...
the form factor of the wiring/heat dissipator looks great, especially for tight spaces. if it doesn't cost too much over other h11 led kits i may consider them for my fogs as well
I got these, and it looks like the priced dropped even a few more dollars; http://www.amazon.com/Partsam-LED-H...=UTF8&qid=1446665311&sr=1-29&keywords=H11+LED

I got mine used (almost mint condition) for like $70 shipped and as they're about $300 at the stealership I didn't hesitate for one second.
That seems like a sweet deal, good for you. I am not sure if we can get those in the states as an accessory...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I think I've seen a few on eBay located in the US actually. I had those on my "to do list" almost from the beginning but if they're hard to get, I would settle with proper LEDs instead.

·
Registered
966 Posts
can we see some pics of the oem volvo bulbs?

·
Registered
966 Posts
phish: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ee/V50/Accessories/Document/VCC-449628/2012

Edit:
If you already got the regular fog lights, it's just a simple swap. No SF needed. Plug n play!
But if you don't have the fogs you'll need the interior switch and new fog light covers (as stated in the installation instructions) and SF update.
My understanding is that the LED fogs are not actual bulbs but they are completely different light housings with the leds hardwired into them. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
phish: Here's a pic of one of the original housings with the LED bulb in it and the other two in the pic is the pair of DRLs.
So I think you're correct, different housings (same size of course) with hardwired LEDs. I've read about someone who had a faulty DRL light and went to the shop, ended up swapping the whole piece. I'll have a look next time I remove the fog light trims (need to put another layer of plastidip on them).

·
Registered
659 Posts
phish: Here's a pic of one of the original housings with the LED bulb in it and the other two in the pic is the pair of DRLs.
So I think you're correct, different housings (same size of course) with hardwired LEDs. I've read about someone who had a faulty DRL light and went to the shop, ended up swapping the whole piece. I'll have a look next time I remove the fog light trims (need to put another layer of plastidip on them).
Yeah, the LED DRLs are definitely a unique LED unit housing, not just a bulb in the regular fog housing, like shown in those pics. There are similar units on the XC70, which I have checked out when I've gotten it for a loaner. I just wonder what the plug connection is like, because I doubt it is an H8/H11 type connector.

Rental any pics of the connector type?

Tappin' via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Not at the moment, sorry. But I do know that people have bought these for their V70II, plug n play.
After digging around for a few minutes I found one guy who said he did this "mod" to his XC70. Also plug n play. The only thing was that because he had parking sensors up front he needed to turn the connector a bit. Otherwise it'd was a perfect fit.
Have in mind, I'm not comparing article numbers here, just spreading the word of others. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts