SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a V70 with a budget limit of $7K and would like to stay under 100K miles. AWDE is prefered but not essential. This seems to come out well for 2001s but I've heard that was a bad year for reliability. Should I go older? Wait for a deal on a 2002?<p>Any advice/ information is appreciated

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Best years for V70 (hsvt)

IMO, year doesn't matter. Preventive and regular maintainance and service record does. If you go AWD, system changed from viscous coupling to haldex in '02. While both expensive to repair, my indep. mech. tells me '01 less $ to fix. If you have a good local indep. Volvo mech. (not dealer) - just ask him for an opinion and have the car checked out thoroughly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Your information is consistent, but in greater detail, with other input I have gotten. As it turns out we have settled on a Honda CR-V which we intend to purchase tomorrow.<p>Thanks again.<br>hsvt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Best years for V70 (hsvt)

2001 always gets a bad rap because the transmission. I purchased a used 2001 V70 @ 35k miles, before all the transmission horror stories surfaced. I had the transmission software update at about 50k and a fluid flush. Flushed again at about 75k and 100k. Transmission still ok<p>Cooling fan relay failed about six months before the recall was announced. Fan assy. replaced under warranty. <p> ETM failed at about 65k. Covered under extended warranty. Car was towed 130 miles to dealer and we were supplied with a rental. Enterprise drove 50 miles each way to pick us up. <br>I use synthetic engine oil. Right front spring seat failed one year after replacement when Bilsteins were installed; and about six months before IPD released their heavy duty spring seats. <br>Installed poly lower transmission mount bushing. Currently need to replace top side bushing.<p>Current problems are: alarm module has failed and drains the battery, so I quit locking the car.<br>A/C blower fan acting up, probably hair balls on the sensor. Haven't gotten around to cleaning it.<br>I get an intermittent P1132 code which I figure is O2 sensor, but it is very intermittent, twice a year, so haven't replaced them yet. <br>Hood support struts are worn out.<br>Inside rear view mirror melted, I'm debating a self repair with a used mirror to cannibalize to avoid the $600 Volvo wants (receiver for key remotes is glued to back of mirror). I might have sprayed liquid on mirror to clean, and destroyed it myself. <br>Think I should replace turbo vacuum hoses, thinking about IPD turbo control valve. <br>Highway mileage has actually increased with age, though my driving habits have mellowed too. Currently at 102k and about to spring for timing belt, water pump, pulleys etc. <p> Everything depends on how the car was serviced and driven. I'd make sure transmission software was changed and transmission had been flushed. Well regarded local independent service shop didn't encourage trans fluid change, mentioning Volvo didn't recommend it; and they'd yet to see transmission problems. I do it anyway. <p>I'd look complete for service records, synthetic oil use if a turbo. Get an independent shop to check it out. If close to 100k check for timing belt assembly change. A lot are sold just before that's due.<p> My first certified used car from Volvo had been wrecked (no disclosure). Used car manager put car on lift to explain why the radiator support had broken when I bumped a parking lot curb car within one week of purchase. Putting the car on the lift revealed scrapes back to the passenger compartment and body paint overspray. Car was delivered with front end out of alignment. steering pulling, was told that was as good as they could get it. New car department took care of everything under warranty. The big Certified Abused Car signs with the dealer name in my rear windows might have helped. Don't trust anybody.<p> Re:AWD. I read in another post somewhere that the 2001 AWD systems are especially sensitive to tire wear/diameter on opposite sides, and that the later systems are better in this regard. <p>If I had to do it over again, I'd have purchased a 2000 V70 Turbo. They aren't so dealer dependent for software integration. Think Air France and fly-by-wire. <p>Anyone else see the photos of the S60 head-on collision with a Volvo semi in Poland? Not for the faint of heart. S60 went under the front of the semi, cut the car in half horizontally, including the driver. Semi driver unhurt.<p>My two cents plus<br>

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Best years for V70 (gobies)

If you want AWD, go for the (rare) 2003-2004 V70 AWD. If you prefer an XC70, anything 2003 and up is good (Haldex AWD) and plentiful.<p>No AWD needed? Get JRL to find you a nice 2002+.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts