SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting a car that has CarPlay, however it has Wired CarPlay and Wireless Charging. The usefulness of Wireless Charging is greatly reduced by having to use Wired CarPlay, so I've been starting to look at picking up an adapter that can allow for Wireless CarPlay use.
I've seen a few on the market, most notably the variety of Carlin adapters sold on Amazon as well as the CPlay2Air adapter sold on via their own website.
In reading reviews, it seems that common issues across all of these devices are failed syncs that sometimes require you to unplug/plugin the adapter, slow connection times, lag when using certain controls such as steering wheel controls, and reduced audio quality as compared to traditional wired or even bluetooth.
My question to the group is -- what is truly the best out there, and are there any that I'm missing from my search? Has anyone found one to be more reliable than others - and without the potential reduction in audio quality?
Just a note, this is brand new 2021 Volvo XC60 - so replacing the headunit isn't an option.
Thank you!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Since none of those devices are official, rather than (cheap) workarounds, I dont think you’ll find anyone here saying which is the best.
Having said that, considering the fact that they are all practically the same devices with different name, your best bet is to buy the cheapest and closest you can find in order to return it in case (when) you get into problems

Reactions: afroa zkhan

·
Registered
2021 S60 T6 AWD Inscription
23 Posts
I purchased both Carlinkit 3.0 and CPlay2Air, after I realized the CPlay2Air was coming directly from China and didn't want to wait that long. Ironically, the both arrived within a day of each other, so anyways...

I installed the Carlinkit 3.0, and it does take longer to connect than hardwiring directly, but I don't think it's terribly long. It pretty much takes the amount of time of me plugging in an address in Maps to connect, so I'm fine with it. I did notice that the play/pause and next buttons are definitely delayed, but it hasn't really bothered me yet. I may try out the CPlay2Air to see if it's any better. Then I'll probably end up selling the other one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used CPlay2Air for the past 18 months and I've had zero problems or issues.
My question to the group is -- what is truly the best out there, and are there any that I'm missing from my search? Has anyone found one to be more reliable than others - and without the potential reduction in audio quality?
Just a note, this is brand new 2021 Volvo XC60 - so replacing the headunit isn't an option.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
403 Posts
I think CarLinKit and CarPlay2Air are the same thing. I have both and they're the same device.

They work fine. They're a little slow to start but not overly. The only annoyance I have is that Google Maps seems to not update unless the phone is unlocked and the Google Maps app is the front app. I don't know if this happens on wired, tbh, since I never use it so maybe that's just a CarPlay bug.

·
Registered
2020 XC60 Momentum
132 Posts
I have the Carlinkit 3.0 and it works 80% of the time. It's not any more buggy than Carplay. When it doesn't connect I either unplug it or just drive without it. Most of my trips are short distance so I'm going to restart the car soon anyway. My 2020 model just turned 4,000 mile over the weekend.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I saw that Carlinkit.com has launched a new AI Box for wireless Carplay and wireless Android auto, and it claims to be able to watch YouTube, Netflix in the car, etc. Has anyone used it? How is it? It is the samething as MMB?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Cplay2air and it worked flawlessly in my Kia and worked for a year in my 2020 XC60, and then just stopped working.

I recently bought the Carlinkit 3.0 hoping maybe there was something wrong with my Cplay unit, but alas, it doesn’t work either. The Sensus screen shows “device intialization error”. Tried two different units and get the same error (both those units work fine in the Kia.)

Wired Carplay works fine in the Volvo, so it’s odd that others are stil having success with the wireless units and I am not..

I chuckle at those taking about how long it takes to connect, as they obviously are not factoring in the time it takes to plug the phone in! (And even besides that, in my experience is that it connects as quickly as plugging in with the wire…certainly within a second or two, if not the same speed.

long story short, buy from somewhere with free returns in case you have my lack of luck getting them to work…’cause when it works, it is awesome.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Cplay2air and it worked flawlessly in my Kia and worked for a year in my 2020 XC60, and then just stopped working.

I recently bought the Carlinkit 3.0 hoping maybe there was something wrong with my Cplay unit, but alas, it doesn’t work either. The Sensus screen shows “device intialization error”. Tried two different units and get the same error (both those units work fine in the Kia.)

Wired Carplay works fine in the Volvo, so it’s odd that others are stil having success with the wireless units and I am not..

I chuckle at those taking about how long it takes to connect, as they obviously are not factoring in the time it takes to plug the phone in! (And even besides that, in my experience is that it connects as quickly as plugging in with the wire…certainly within a second or two, if not the same speed.

long story short, buy from somewhere with free returns in case you have my lack of luck getting them to work…’cause when it works, it is awesome.
where did you buy the dongle?you may contact the seller for after-sales service

·
Registered
110 Posts
where did you buy the dongle?you may contact the seller for after-sales service
Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely have done that but to no avail. I’ve updated the firmware in the device several times per their instructions and it didn’t help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of these fore wireless CarPlay and it works well 95% of the time to be honest, no complaints and worth the investment: carlinkit wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on carlinkiycarplay.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts