·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best wipers, OEM or...?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I swapped to the 05 arms and use OEM blades. As long as you change them once a year, they work very good.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I tried $30 wipers and they lasted as long as $9 ones, so now I use $9 ones from AutoZone.

·
6,436 Posts
This is my third year with the same pair of RainX Aero blades, and I'm very happy with that purchase.
They might need to be replaced after this winter, but hey - it's better than replacing blades each year

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I usually buy two different wipers and conduct my own comparison test. I'm still on my first set, and the competition was the RainX Latitude vs. The Bosch Evolution Blades.

The RainX one was around $20 and the Bosch was like $12. From what I can tell you, the RainX Blade SUCKS. I have never had a wiper so bad in my life that I even called RainX about getting a replacement wiper. The wiper is about three months old, and even with a dry summer it completely streaks m entire windshield.

The Bosch Blade has been consistently on both my Volvo, and my previous Subaru Legacy. For just over $10, it's pretty hard to beat.

Bosch Evolution gets my vote.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I do not have any vehicles with the OEM mono-spring arms but I have used mono-spring Bosch Icon and another brand Sam's Club sells that is $10 ea and they have been great. They last a bit longer and the mono-spring fixes the frame contact point streaking that plagues the traditional wipers.
My "new" VR with 185K and the original worn windshield is wiped well with Bosch Icons.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
PIAA silicon + aquapel glass treatment is a recipe for seeing out of your windshield when no one else on the road can.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Bosch Icons or Evolution blade wipers, best wipers for our Rs, period. They are the manufacturers for our OEM wipers. For 04s this is the best conversion from the standard metal wipers to a aero blade for the J hook

·
Registered
303 Posts
Changed to flatblade arms from 05> so use´s OEM flatblade wipers. Works fine, change them before the winter and they last about a year.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Bosch Icons or Evolution blade wipers, best wipers for our Rs, period. They are the manufacturers for our OEM wipers. For 04s this is the best conversion from the standard metal wipers to a aero blade for the J hook
Yupp! Bosch Icons combined with Rain-X Bug and Tar wiper fluid.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I swapped to the 05 arms and use OEM blades. As long as you change them once a year, they work very good.
+1. I did the same and used OE blue box wipers and they are performing the same as when I installed them 8 months ago.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
PIAA silicon + aquapel glass treatment is a recipe for seeing out of your windshield when no one else on the road can.
+1, sort of. I use OE wipers (replaced ~annually) + glass treatment (either Rain-X or wax when I detail car). At night, rain is almost invisible with no glare from other headlights. No reduction in visibility through windhshield during the heaviest of downpours. Limited only by the visibility through the rain. 40+ mph = no use of wipers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used 0000 steal wool, clay and rainX and the Bosch Icons squeal and chatter. I loved the Icons ran them on every car I have owned. I went with OE and it's dramatically better. Not perfect but better. Interesting how there are so many likes and dislikes of similar blades. Must come down to the windshield/region the car is driven in??

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have ordered Valeo's as replacements as they are OEM for my 06 without the sticker shock.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I tried a bunch of different blades, none of the aftermarket ones have been really great. RainX were the last brand I tried and they honestly didn't even fit right on the 04 arms. If I clipped them in, they bowed away from the windshield at the arm, so I had to leave them unclipped (which meant they fell off every time I lifted the arms up). Switched to OEM and they are way better than any aftermarket I've tried.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I have the RainX Latitudes and I HATE them. They shake on the highway at 80+ and clean less than 80% what they should cover at 60+.

Honestly, Best wipers I have used are the Duralast flex wipers, the RainX Latitude knockoffs, they are sturdier, they don't shake and they clean fully up until their point of death.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I tried a bunch of different blades, none of the aftermarket ones have been really great. RainX were the last brand I tried and they honestly didn't even fit right on the 04 arms. If I clipped them in, they bowed away from the windshield at the arm, so I had to leave them unclipped (which meant they fell off every time I lifted the arms up). Switched to OEM and they are way better than any aftermarket I've tried.
Swap your arms for 05 or up arms. Much better blades. The newer style arms work much better in snow also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The best wipers I have used on any of my cars are the Bosch Icons or I have horrible luck with Rain X latitude wiper blades and most conventional blades are junk after 6 months. The one exception with conventional wipers was my expirence with Valeo 600 series, they worked flawlessly for over a year before they started the inevitable streaking. Unfortunately I can't comment on the Valeo "frame-less" wipers because I've never used them.

The trick with wipers is to clean them, a lot of people over look this but in my expirence it really helps with longevity.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I just bought the Bosch Icons from Autozone, they were on sale. They work GREAT!

However, Autozone sucks because they think the R has 24in and 21in blades. When installing it was obvious that OEM size is actually 24in and 22in so now my passenger side doesn't clear quite as much area.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts