SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through similar posts on the forum, I'm still debating whether or not to install a set of DMX 15mm spacers that I bought off eBay. They came with (conical) M14X1.5 extended wheel bolts which should fit just fine, however, just wondering if fender rub will be an issue, especially on the front. My VR is lowered on IPD springs, and sits on 18" OEM Pegs with 235/40/18 tires. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone chime in? I know I'm not the only one on the R Forum lowered on IPD springs, and I'm sure at least some of you run spacers. Right? :sad:

·
3,958 Posts
I know a lot of people who have run 5mm front and 15mm in the back, also for what its worth almost all the R's I deal with that where on IPD lowering springs have switched to either stock or TME. The R is generally a low car as it as far as clearance, especially because of the exhaust. I personally run 14mm all around but I'm not lowered, which is perfect flush fitment apparently.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a lot of people who have run 5mm front and 15mm in the back, also for what its worth almost all the R's I deal with that where on IPD lowering springs have switched to either stock or TME. The R is generally a low car as it as far as clearance, especially because of the exhaust. I personally run 14mm all around but I'm not lowered, which is perfect flush fitment apparently.
Appreciate your input, Driver. I'm staying on my IPD's since I like the way my VR rides with this setup. Do you know if 5mm fronts will eliminate front wheel well rubbing at full lock? That's my main goal here, BTW.

·
3,958 Posts
It depends on the tires, if your running 225's with toyo or Pirelli you should but wider tires like michelins you still might rub. It also depends if your on 17's or 18's, I barely clear with 18's and I'm running 235/40/18 on michelins which are extremely wide.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on the tires, if your running 225's with toyo or Pirelli you should but wider tires like michelins you still might rub. It also depends if your on 17's or 18's, I barely clear with 18's and I'm running 235/40/18 on michelins which are extremely wide.
Appreciate the input, Driver. I'm running 235/40/18's on 18" Pegs, so 5mm spacers probably won't fit the bill, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I run 10mm up front and 20mm rear at stock ride height and everything's flush for what it's worth. No rub up front. Stock wheel/tire size. That will all change as I'm throwing in some kw v2s right now and I'm going to maybe run without any spacers depending on what gives the best handling. But whatever you decide on, you could always buy some from FCPeuro because of their return policy. If they don't work out, return them and your just out the shipping.

·
3,958 Posts
Yes, they will absolutely change the dynamic of the car. You are widening the track, personally I'm not really a fan for hard driving situations. There is definitely a less connected feeling and more wheel travel/reverberation (Not sure if thats the right word) when you hit a bump, especially at high speeds. I have 14mm all around and they look great but I remove them in the winter and always for track days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi thanks for the info I have a 2002 s60 D5, I was thinking about putting some on so I can reduce the steering stops to get a better steering lock, but if the car does not feel as positive I should give them a miss,
Thanks Dave

·
3,958 Posts
If you like to drive hard then I'd say it's 50/50, I don't think 5mm with stock lugs will have a real effect (Which will probably eliminate the rub) but anything over that with extended lug bolts will definitely change the feel.

·
3,958 Posts
No, mine are stock.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
In day to day driving it's not gonna make much a of a difference with handling having spacers or not. I was talking about non-daily driven road use of the car. It changes the scrub radius most importantly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In day to day driving it's not gonna make much a of a difference with handling having spacers or not. I was talking about non-daily driven road use of the car. It changes the scrub radius most importantly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, Tristan. I'll probably return the 15's and get some 5mm's for the front and rear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you like to drive hard then I'd say it's 50/50, I don't think 5mm with stock lugs will have a real effect (Which will probably eliminate the rub) but anything over that with extended lug bolts will definitely change the feel.
Driver, so can I run 5mm spacers front and rear with stock lugs? If so, I think I'll just go that route.

·
3,958 Posts
You should be able to, check around the forum but I'm 99% certain there have been quite a few R's that used stock lugs with 5mm's.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should be able to, check around the forum but I'm 99% certain there have been quite a few R's that used stock lugs with 5mm's.
Cool. Will do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After checking a few different sites including this forum, I decided to go with the H&R 1453501 Wheel Bolt; 14x1.5mm, 35mm length. Slightly longer than factory lugs specifically for this application.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts