SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2011 v50 T5 certified pre-owned with 20k km on it...
Still has 3 years 60 on bumper to bumper + a 160 6 year extention

So far this little fella is fun, and at my elevation here in Calgary, has quite a bit of jam thanks to induction power!

that being said, and I know its not a sports car, I'd like a little bit more fun... as its just not up to part to my last MKV GTI

so... I'm thinking this:

softune
CAI
Rear sway bar

I don't want to change ride height or dampening characteristics (don't want to worry about ground clearance in winter nor camber)

So far I'm thinking that Elevate has everything I need... except for the soft tune

I think if I can use the intake tube from Elevate, rather than go to a cone based K&N, I will... I use an AEM/K&N dry filter but I've destroed MAF's on my 350 which haven't been cheap

also as the ECU's heatsink is right into the main airbox and elevate says the OEM cotton filter isn't restrictive, I'll just get the 3" pipe replacement

As per the sway bar, Elevate's is a 25mm... its HUGE and IPD's is 22mm... same price really, but if I'm going to bundle my shipping, I'll go with Elevate, unless someone can tell me why the IPD would be better??

As to the tune... there is IPDs, Elevate, and the Polestar...
Polestar is $600 more, but it doesn't void warranty;

I know both the IPD and Elevate tune can be removed, but is it any-more damaging?
I'd prefer the polestar if its more gentle on the car, being that I haven't changed nor want to change out the intercooler

So what is your suggestion fella's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Sway bars you can get racing beat (27mm) or corksport (32mm 3 way adjustable) for 200.

Soft tunes don't hurt the car. The car itself had a counter for however many times it's been flashed. It won say what was flashed just the number of times. I'm not sure if there is a limit to the counter but dealers can read it and what not.

My opinion on Sway bars is that if you dont auto x the car, you will have a tougher time trying to get the rear to slip. I'm on the stock 18mm bar and it kicks out a lot now as my skills progressively gets better. I've never been able to get it to kick out on the street even when I had the 25mm bar

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sway bars you can get racing beat (27mm) or corksport (32mm 3 way adjustable) for 200.

Soft tunes don't hurt the car. The car itself had a counter for however many times it's been flashed. It won say what was flashed just the number of times. I'm not sure if there is a limit to the counter but dealers can read it and what not.

My opinion on Sway bars is that if you dont auto x the car, you will have a tougher time trying to get the rear to slip. I'm on the stock 18mm bar and it kicks out a lot now as my skills progressively gets better. I've never been able to get it to kick out on the street even when I had the 25mm bar

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
okay, so the "number" of flashes I hope will not be a concern for going-forward warranty... and I guess going "polestar" isn't a great long-term solution, as you can never get tunes for future items like downpipes/exhaust etc...

so are you saying that mazda 3 chasis componants will fit into this C1 based car like for like?
if so, ya I'm going down the mazda route for that price!

cept, are all mazada's verticle with the mount point? I assume that's a issue

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
okay, so the "number" of flashes I hope will not be a concern for going-forward warranty... and I guess going "polestar" isn't a great long-term solution, as you can never get tunes for future items like downpipes/exhaust etc...

so are you saying that mazda 3 chasis componants will fit into this C1 based car like for like?
if so, ya I'm going down the mazda route for that price!

cept, are all mazada's verticle with the mount point? I assume that's a issue
correct on the first point. 2nd point, make sure you get the 2007-2009 mazda 3 suspension components. and yes they are all vertical mounting points. it's not really an issue. just buy the rear endlinks either from volvo, mazda or rockauto.com.

·
Registered
837 Posts
get the polestar tune. skip the cai and elevate intake. There are problems with fitment anyway and no intake has been proven to really improve anything but noise. save the money for the tune. the sway bar is worth it. just have to decide how agressive you want. i dont think elevate and ipd use the same material for the sway bar so its hard to compare just the size. getting a true CAI for this car is very hard sinc they all pull the air from behind the rad anyway. Iv had the dealer give me crap about intakes before and K&N filter have been known to mess with MAF sensors, even drop in filters. for stock box. if you dont do the polestar I rec. ipdusa tune because of the diagnostic availability, open software, customer service, price, and customization for your car with the ability to go to stage 2 etc down the road.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
get the polestar tune. skip the cai and elevate intake. There are problems with fitment anyway and no intake has been proven to really improve anything but noise. save the money for the tune. the sway bar is worth it. just have to decide how agressive you want. i dont think elevate and ipd use the same material for the sway bar so its hard to compare just the size. getting a true CAI for this car is very hard sinc they all pull the air from behind the rad anyway. Iv had the dealer give me crap about intakes before and K&N filter have been known to mess with MAF sensors, even drop in filters. for stock box. if you dont do the polestar I rec. ipdusa tune because of the diagnostic availability, open software, customer service, price, and customization for your car with the ability to go to stage 2 etc down the road.
no fitment issues if you take out the stock air box and just slap a cone filter in front. trust me, i've put in that pipe many times and you'll be glad to line it up with something looser than than the stock box. however this is all for noise. i've yet to see anyone with a cone dyno their car. true cai is stock box.

·
Registered
837 Posts
no fitment issues if you take out the stock air box and just slap a cone filter in front. trust me, i've put in that pipe many times and you'll be glad to line it up with something looser than than the stock box. however this is all for noise. i've yet to see anyone with a cone dyno their car. true cai is stock box.
I stand corrected, I was going off the other thread about people not likeing the intake when installed alone.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
FWIW the advice to go with the Polestar is no good. It doesn't exist for a 2011 since there is no manual transmission (US).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts