SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a very clean S70 T5 that needs a motor. I'm pondering buying it. I wondered what years & models of Volvo's offered the latest or bestest version of the T5 motor that would easily drop in and function in a '98 S70 T5 with M4.4.? I recall reading it was a '02 S60 T5 once but wanted to be sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,718 Posts
Any N/RN engine is basically a bolt in.

B5234T9s are looking like the "best" motors for older car swaps since the B5244T5s have been developing oiling issues and rod knock far too often.

You'd find a T9 in any 2003-2004 T5 p80 based C70.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Worth mentioning that "best" and "easy" don't go hand-in-hand with ME4.4 example above.

Newer ME7 engines like the T9 require "some additional" effort to get them running in an ME4.X car ;-)

·
Registered
17,718 Posts
Worth mentioning that "best" and "easy" don't go hand-in-hand with ME4.4 example above.

Newer ME7 engines like the T9 require "some additional" effort to get them running in an ME4.X car ;-)
Front motor mount bracket from 99+ p80, notch the t belt cover for the fuel line or convert the 98 to RN style fuel line, swap on the distributor, -98 accessory bracket and accessories. Use all me4.4 sensors original to the car. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Front motor mount bracket from 99+ p80, notch the t belt cover for the fuel line or convert the 98 to RN style fuel line, swap on the distributor, -98 accessory bracket and accessories. Use all me4.4 sensors original to the car. Did I miss anything?
Drill the cam to accept TPS...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Drill the cam to accept TPS...
I believe you mean CPS.

But it seems there isn't much that needs to be done to convert an ME7 engine to M4.X.

·
Registered
17,718 Posts
I believe you mean CPS.

But it seems there isn't much that needs to be done to convert an ME7 engine to M4.X.
Depends on what year RN, anything with dual VVT or a dual VVT head is already threaded for trigger. However if you've got dual VVT a coil in plug conversion is also a good idea and great upgrade.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Depends on what year RN, anything with dual VVT or a dual VVT head is already threaded for trigger. However if you've got dual VVT a coil in plug conversion is also a good idea and great upgrade.
Now that I think about it I think both my '98 and 2000 have the same CPS trigger on the exhaust cam. There shouldn't be any drilling/tapping required.

·
Registered
17,718 Posts
Now that I think about it I think both my '98 and 2000 have the same CPS trigger on the exhaust cam. There shouldn't be any drilling/tapping required.
Drill and tap the intake cam to drive the distributor.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts