SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am an S60R owner that recently added to the fleet with an 09 XC70 3.2. Quick question for you. I have the OEM Continental 4x4 tires on right now. One of the four is pretty bald and needs replacing. The other three are about 60%-70% tread left.

I read reviews on Tire Rack and most people seem to hate the OEM tire. Since I have to buy one tire, should I just replace them all at the same time with better reviewed tires? Is there a preferred tire for the 09 XC70? Best for fuel economy? Traction?

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Pirelli Scorpions... Best tire ever...

[XC70-MY2011-D5-SAPH.BLACK-18"MERAC-SIDE SCUFF-MUD FLAPS-ROOF SPOIL
SATNAV-SEATS: ELEC/HEATED/PERFORATED/VENT-MOONROOF]

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
^have to disagree. They are "okay" all season tires but factor in price and poor tread wear and they come off my "best tire ever" list.

The new AWD systems don't need you to replace all the tires when one wears down prematurely (like the older Volvo systems did), but I would replace at least two of them. Put both news in the front or rear, and keep one of the 60-70% ones as a backup. If cost isn't an issue, get 4 new Contis (if you like them) and sell the 3 good ones to someone on craigslist to make some of your coin back.

Why did one wear down so quickly?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Ok I will also take note... Contis could be better and yes the old AWD was very sensitive for new with old tires... Too many corrections. Not sure what new 15.5 come with? Conti?

SATNAV-SEATS: ELEC/HEATED/PERFORATED/VENT-MOONROOF-ADAPTXENON-DUAL EXHAUST-ELEC TAILGATE]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I generally don't like Continental tires at all, but the Conti DWS is a real diamond in the rough... I use them on my XC70 and my BMW X5M. I do have a separate set of wheels and snows for the XC70 for the winter, but the DWS can be used in winter conditions until they get worn down. They have recently been upgraded to the DWS 06.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I generally don't like Continental tires at all, but the Conti DWS is a real diamond in the rough... I use them on my XC70 and my BMW X5M. I do have a separate set of wheels and snows for the XC70 for the winter, but the DWS can be used in winter conditions until they get worn down. They have recently been upgraded to the DWS 06.
Thanks, that is what I am leaning towards. I recently bought this car, I am not sure why there is one bad tire and three good ones. Suspension seems fine.

What do you think of the Bridgestone Touranza Serenity? It is highly rated and I had them on my last car and they were great. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
Pirelli Scorpions... Best tire ever...

SATNAV-SEATS: ELEC/HEATED/PERFORATED/VENT-MOONROOF]
I've had good luck with these as well. Got almost 60,000 miles on my first set. Have almost 30,000 miles on my second set and they still have plenty of tread. Oh yes, and my experience is with the Pirelli Scorpion VERDE ALL SEASON. Seems like there are a couple different Pirelli Scorpions for sale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Kinsan: what type of driving are you planning to do with the XC70?
Hi there! Thanks for the message and question. The XC70 will be used for daily driving in Ohio, which means mild Springs, humid Summers, beautiful temperate Falls, and icy, snowy winters. Let's not forget, this is pot hole heaven. The roads flat out suck in Ohio. I nearly bottomed out my 1" lowered S60R today in a stinking pothole, it felt like I was about to jam the strut mount through the hood. �� I am looking for sure-foot driving while getting good gas mileage. I also prefer not to have tires that make the XC70 feel like a Sherman Tank, and would love tires that can give me good traction and fuel economy, while allowing for spirited handling, although I don't expect it to handle like an S60R. But in the end, this is a daily driver...

Thanks for any insights you can provide. I am leaning toward the Conti DWS or Bridgestone Turanaza Serenity, but am not sure. The Brigdestone is $100 more expensive for a set of four. Tire rack has the DWS on sale, a set of four is $500.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks, that is what I am leaning towards. I recently bought this car, I am not sure why there is one bad tire and three good ones. Suspension seems fine.

What do you think of the Bridgestone Touranza Serenity? It is highly rated and I had them on my last car and they were great. Thoughts?
Sorry, no experience with that particular Bridgestone...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Michelin recently came out with an SUV/light truck tire version of their Defender tire called the Defender LTX. Here are a couple news reports on it:

http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-introduces-the-defender-ltx-ms/53060.html/3

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s-tire-review.html

This tire is still too new to have enough customer reviews in winter conditions, but for the other parameters it looks like a decent all round SUV tire with civilized on-road manners, but still built a bit tougher than a car tire when it comes to driving on gravel roads.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We just replaced the OEM Scorpians after 38,000 miles. They still had enough tread that the dealer thought I might want to keep them as spares, no way. They were flat out dangerous in wet weather. Too much slipping and hydroplaning. I had the Continental DWS 06's installed and after a few miles I really appreciate the tighter handling and of course being new they were phenomenal in the rain the other night. I've had several sets of DWS's on our A3, Beetle and GLI. Now we have tires on the car that work well with the IPD sway bar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts