SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Best thing to do for longevity

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  maxenar 
#1 ·
My '07 R is 100% stock except that I had my axels packed at the advice of the dealer when I had both my spring seats replaced. I'm fine with the performance and appearance. I would however like to do something that could protect it mechanically and improve reliability. I see some people have replaced OE hoses with better quality and "heat wrapped" whatever that is. can anyone give me some pointers as to what I can do to lengthen it's lifespan? Thanks, guys.

#7 ·
you not having chrome pegs is what makes you sad, once you get them you'll see your self in them how happy your are....:D:D:D

#6 · (Edited)
I am (mostly) in agreement with Ti-R (Grant) and DevolvR (Alfred).

Change drive line fluids (transmission, angle gear, AOC, rear differential) every 30-50k miles, flush brakes and coolant every 1-2 years, check/top-off battery cells as needed, replace cabin and air filter every year, replace oxygen sensors, timing belt and ignition coils every 60-80k miles, replace sparkplugs every 30-60k miles depending on tune/use, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

If you like the chrome pegs, then keep them. If not, save up your pennies and buy some wheels that you like.

Welcome to the forum!

- Jeff

#12 ·
your pegs look perfect...don't listen to anybody...and if you don't like them I'll swap with you.

#13 ·
I don't know if your car is a manual or geartronic - GT (automatic). The biggest problem with the GT R is the geartronic not having a dipstick and filter so you can't see the state of the transmission fluid. So if you do have it I would highly recommend a fluid flush. Its easy to do and if you aren't willing, or are not mechanically inclined I'm sure there are fellow forum members near you that would be more than happy to help a tall Swedish blonde. Lol.

My R has similar mileage and when I checked things like bushings such as the top engine mount I noticed it was ripped. So my best general advice besides regular fluid changes is to visually inspect the car just to see if anything looks out of whack ... and to read the forum ... you'll learn a ton!

Welcome to the R addiction :)

#14 ·
Never ever ever drive the car in sport or advanced... this will promote longevity of your struts and not cause higher pressures on the seals that can cause leakage.

Never ever ever launch the car, drift, slide sideways, take corners really hard, or do anything that has to do with turning the wheel and giving hard throttle... this promotes leakage of your angle gear

Those are the 2 most expensive items to replace on this car... and well that just took some fun out of it.

Seriously just take good care of it, it is a Volvo. If you dont mod it, you will be fine!

Now go have some fun :)

#17 ·
i echo others in general

-watch that timing belt tensioner as you get up there in mileage. 85k and up.
-fluid replacements, oil, brake fluid, transmission flush, haldex,etc don't believe the 'lifetime fluid'
-DEM heat shield to protect that from excessive heat.
-spark plugs every 60k and eventually coils
-just monitoring oil consumptions/mileage over time will give you a good idea the health of engine.
-imo springs, control arms, struts, just replace as needed, don't worry about preventative maint. on them.
-let car cool down a couple minutes before turning it off after pushing it.

most importantly just enjoy the car and don't worry about it too much. don't beat on it either.

nothing wrong with chrome pegs, just keep them clean. most people don't like lots of chrome on these cars or chrome wheels in general but if you like them thats what counts. :thumbup:

#18 ·
Thanks guys, and I DO like my 18" chrome Pegs 'cause I haven't seen any others. I imagine though that it will be pricey to have them refinished. What about replacing my hoses with silicone hoses? And I really need to change the tranny (GT) fluid yearly? I will be relocating to a much colder climate next winter. Should I use 100% synthetic? What weight? Thanks for the welcome and please, in the future, be kind to me when I post something that seems ridiculous to you R veterans out there.

#19 ·
Turbo maintenance is by far, IMO, the most important thing. Like a coupla guys up there mentioned:

-Let car cool down a few minutes before shut down
-Replace correct oil at correct intervals

Some other minor stuff would be to flush your fluids at the right miles.

#21 ·
No one has answered my question about the hoses. Should I upgrade to silicone? I'm loving the blue ones from Viva.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.