SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some durable, smooth-ride struts. I got tired of my car sounding like it was taking a beating every time I went over a bump, so I had a set of Monroe struts installed about two years ago.

My car is a 2006, FWD with almost 200,000 miles.

The Monroes were better than my worn-out factory ones, but they started becoming noisy after about 20-30k miles. Then last week, I hit a curb very hard. Tore the sidewall of my tire and broke the lip of the rim. After new wheels and tires, I noticed the top of my front, right tire is leaning inwards. A quick look underneath and it appears there may be a slight bend in the passenger-side strut. Also getting a lot of clunking over bumps, though — oddly — it sounds like it's coming from the driver side, not the side I hit.

QUESTION 1: What is your experience with different brands of struts?

QUESTION 2: Would it be ok to replace just the passenger side strut instead of both? I presume I would have to use the exact same Monroe struts?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
For a smooth ride I would go with SACHS (stock feel). FCP Euro has them for about $200 a pair. I have them with H&R lowering springs and they feel great. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-strut-kit-front-4-piece-s60-v70-s80-kit-p2srtkt3p4

Blau Struts: Cost $140 a pair. Bimmer forums recommend them. I do not have them but noticed how good of a price they were.
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGS1602-2F-B&cat=109

Note: you are not supposed to lower your car with these Blau struts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was in a tight spot last year when my struts needed replacing and went on e b a y and got these Sensen Front & Rear Shocks Struts for 01-07 Volvo. I have no complaints at all these and spent under 140.00 for front and back. I also replaced the front spring bushing and strut bearings at the same time. I will prob get bashed for going cheap but for what I paid for my last set of struts for our other vehicle I would gladly buy these again.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
As long as they work and don't give issues prematurely, who cares how cheap they were. They work and that's what matters.

On that note, I've wondered the same, what shocks/struts are good to get for our cars that's comparable to OEM... Also, what is the OEM on our cars? Monroe I'm guessing? How are Meyle struts?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I read on a bimmer forum that Myle is a German company but outsources manufacturing to China. But that is the case with many companies these days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replying, guys. Anyone have experience with KYB?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I had sport struts from KYB on my e30 back in the day. They were good. Sachs are actually a better deal from what I have seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am having issues with alignment and clunking over bumps as well. Looked at the struts under the hood and found the upper strut mount in the state pictured. Car has 120k on it, would it be better to just replace the top mounts or the strut with it? ALso, has anybody on here found a quick strut for these cars?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
fcp has some proparts sweden full assemblies for about $190 each. lifetime warranty so it might be something to look at.

best of luck

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am having issues with alignment and clunking over bumps as well. Looked at the struts under the hood and found the upper strut mount in the state pictured. Car has 120k on it, would it be better to just replace the top mounts or the strut with it? ALso, has anybody on here found a quick strut for these cars?
Might as well do the struts at the same time. Get the XC90 spring seats

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am going to do them both. I just wanted the quick stur because I hate taking suspension parts off of cars, and this would make the process a little less painful.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I am going to do them both. I just wanted the quick stur because I hate taking suspension parts off of cars, and this would make the process a little less painful.
It isnt hard to take them apart. Borrow a spring compressor tool from Advanced Auto. Will save you $200 just taking them apart and putting back together yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: Worked on my car today and replaced the end links. No more clunking. Also disassembled most of the suspension and tried repositioning the strut to get rid of some of the negative camber. Partial success on that end. It's definitely bent and definitely needs to be replaced. Going to look around this weekend and see if I can find a shop to do it for under $200.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It isnt hard to take them apart. Borrow a spring compressor tool from Advanced Auto. Will save you $200 just taking them apart and putting back together yourself.
That is true. But I am thinking about replacing everything holding the wheels on the car anyways. It's at 120k and I am pretty sure the previous owner drove it pretty rough.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have Koni Sport yellow adjustable struts up front and KYB Gas-A-Just monotube rears. The rears match pretty well with the adjustable fronts when I tighten them down a bit.
If you are keeping this car until it is dead and done for, maybe you might want to look at Koni FSD. They apparently can be soft on bumps but tighten up when performing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: Got the bent strut replaced with a new Monroe (same model). Only did one side. Total parts and labor was about $320. Problem fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts