SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my oem (316mm) front brakes are finished 18 months after I installed them. I know Akebono is highly regarded around here, but every pad that waves a flag for lower brak dust compromises on brake feel and innitial bite.

Mechanic says new discs are needed as well and we'll be most likely installing Zimmerman's.

So which pad has great bite, feel and stopping power. He's recommending Bosch pads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Suppose you'd like to re-use rotors that were just changed about two years ago... would another set of (soft) Volvo pads be a better idea? Or is re-using rotors just a bad idea, period?

Also - why does every photo I see of Zimmermans have a strange plaster color to them? Some kind of protective coating that comes off?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
i think the zimmermans are now made in china. i bought the volvo rear disks from taska this summer for less than the cost of centric premium. the oem supplier was probably ate, brembo or zimmerman. as for wanting more intitial bite, stainless brake lines may get you the feel you want.

i think the plaster color is a paint they put on the hats so the hats dont rust.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Good Lord, 18 months on pads is ridiculous, are you tracking the moose? Delivering pizzas? Maybe the calipers are dragging. Bosch Brakes (in NA) is owned by Akebono, not sure what that means as far as the QuietCast pads. People seem to like the QuietCast coated rotors. As for pads, I would still go with the Euro Ceramics and enjoy the side benefit of low dust.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Our stock pads lasted 5 years in front, rear are still original after 7. All depends on milage though, the car only has 67k on it so they really didnt last that long.

The F350 fronts lasted over 100k and only had to change them because of a seized caliper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasen't there in person, so I didn't actually see the pads themselves, but we drive mostly stop and go traffic to and from work and have put about 35,000 KM (~22k miles) on this set. When I got home, my wife dropped off and picked up the car and I took public transport for the day, i light a flashlight and peered in behind the wheels. The pads looked ok, not as finished as he was claiming...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Kind of what I expected, when ours was 2 years old they said the brakes has 30% life left. They lasted 3 more years and still has 30% of the material
left on them when I swapped them out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts