SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read somewhere that the max tire size on the first gen C30 was 225/40/R18. Would this be an issue riding on H&R Sport lowering springs (about a 1.3" drop)? is there a better size for an 18" rim?

I'm sure this was asked before but I'm still new here! Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Diameter is only half of it. How wide are your wheels and what is your offset?

If stock Midirs or Atreus (18x7.5 on the C30), 225 40 18 is a good size. I'm tucked on all 4 corners (over 2" drop) and no issues with stock wheels. Had to roll/pull the fenders to run spacers and my new wheels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that would've helped.
Itd be an 18X8 wheel with a near identical offset (55 iirc)

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
You should be able to run 235 or even 245 without problem. You may experience slight rubbing at full steering lock, but that would be it. Just do the math to figure what sidewall thickness remains close to stock ratio.
I know a guy running 255s on his 8" wide wheels, the grip is insane.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
You can fit 225/45/18 on a lowering spring. If you go 235, I would probably go down to 40 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can fit 225/45/18 on a lowering spring. If you go 235, I would probably go down to 40 aspect ratio.
Hmm thanks id really like to get a 235 on because the 205 I'm on now is kind of pathetic.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
however, on my 17" Serapis, i can fit a 235/45/17.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I'm getting a 2011 C30 T5.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I can add this here - I'm curious about lowering spring options - I've seen an Eibach kit & the one from Volvo. Any one using either?

I'm going to use the Advanti Hybris 18" wheels & 235/40x18's I had bought for my XR (before I melted the pistons..)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I can add this here - I'm curious about lowering spring options - I've seen an Eibach kit & the one from Volvo. Any one using either?

I'm going to use the Advanti Hybris 18" wheels & 235/40x18's I had bought for my XR (before I melted the pistons..)
Im using H&R Sports on Koni shocks and struts...well I guess I should say will be, seeing as the mailman is dropping them off tomorrow

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

Offset and width?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
18x8, 45 offset.

gonna need to lower the car.

Gotta get tire pressure sensors. I didn't intend these for this car.

I'll wait until my CEIKA brakes are transferred from the XR to use these.
Ummm WOW! Those wheels with the Volvo center cap look amazing!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Eibach ProSport springs are in, Advanti's are on w/Ceika BBK in front. The wheels/tires feel great. Suspension feels good. Haven't pushed it hard yet. I did also install the CorkSport Mazda3 24mm rear bar. Whiteline Control Arm bushing kit is next

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Hmm thanks id really like to get a 235 on because the 205 I'm on now is kind of pathetic.

Thanks
Over the years the only thing I've gained by running wider tires is a slimmer wallet. They have more rolling resistance (use more gas) and wear faster (leading to buying tires sooner), especially with the crappy alignment specs our cars tend to have. I have 205's on the C30 and I will replace them with 205s again! The wear has been much better. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
18's need at least a 215. 205's are not wide enough especially if you have a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Over the years the only thing I've gained by running wider tires is a slimmer wallet. They have more rolling resistance (use more gas) and wear faster (leading to buying tires sooner), especially with the crappy alignment specs our cars tend to have. I have 205's on the C30 and I will replace them with 205s again! The wear has been much better. Just my $.02
My idea of saving money is to run cheap (less than $100) summer tires for the winter when I'm not doing much spirited driving. :p

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
18's need at least a 215. 205's are not wide enough especially if you have a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right! My intent was simply to point out that wider isn't all that it's cracked up to be (at least, not for me). On the 18" wheels, I run 215/45/18 - OEM size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts