SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had my rear brakes replaced under warranty at 16k miles, now I'm just over 40k and my front and rears are equally worn down to about 3mm, so time to replace. Anyone have any luck with non-OEM stuff? I'm thinking of using some harder composition pads in the back since they seem to wear so much more quickly compared to the fronts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I replaced my rear brakes with Raybestos Heavy Duty (Long Life, Truck & Tow) coated rotors and Power Stop Premium Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber-Ceramic pads. I've been extremely pleased with them. Quiet, not too dusty, and they perform well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced my rear brakes with Raybestos Heavy Duty (Long Life, Truck & Tow) coated rotors and Power Stop Premium Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber-Ceramic pads. I've been extremely pleased with them. Quiet, not too dusty, and they perform well.
Good to hear! I assume they've got a little less "bite" than the softer pads?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I found the part # for the rear pads is Z23-1938. Having some issues looking up the Raybestos rotors, any advice?

·
Registered
979 Posts
1938 shape pads are for the 302mm rear rotor. 1821 shape pads if you have the 320mm rear rotor. You can tell pretty easily by looking, the 302mm rotor is solid, the 320mm rotor is vented.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For the T5 pads should be Z23-1938 and rotor should be 982273. I notice there's a 982273, and 982273r which is the R-Line.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For the T5 pads should be Z23-1938
That may well be correct, but good to verify directly the rotor size as Volvo seemed to have switched things around over time. The XC60 T5 may all have the smaller brakes, I don't have enough info. I know when the S60 T5 went to AWD the brakes were upsized to the 345/320 so a T5 there would take the 1821 pad.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What about EBC brake pads/rotors? Anyone use those?
Never on my XC60 but I've tried them on other vehicles and NEVER AGAIN. They are the noisiest pads I've ever used. Not a nice noise, either; a horrendous SQUEAL. Tried multiple sets and they all have the same problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Never on my XC60 but I've tried them on other vehicles and NEVER AGAIN. They are the noisiest pads I've ever used. Not a nice noise, either; a horrendous SQUEAL. Tried multiple sets and they all have the same problem.
Interesting. Do you recall which color pads you used? I know they have different colors for different levels of "aggressiveness". If I remember correctly, the more aggressive ones are more likely to squeal.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interesting. Do you recall which color pads you used? I know they have different colors for different levels of "aggressiveness". If I remember correctly, the more aggressive ones are more likely to squeal.
The last set I tried was EBC Double-H Sintered. Keep in mind this was NOT on an XC60. However, I've tried them on several other vehicles and they've universally sucked. I will never waste my money on an EBC pad, again.

I've spoken with others and the general consensus seems to be that EBC pads stop okay, but they squeal like a banshee. There are much better pads on the market that stop as well or better, and are quiet. I see no reason to use EBC other than they're often cheaper than other pads... But good pads aren't exactly expensive, so I think saving $40 to use an inferior product is foolish when dealing with an otherwise expensive/nice vehicle.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've used the EBC yellows on the S60, supposed to be the "street/track" pad. They actually were not noisy, OK on the track but they wear stupid fast and broke apart. Won't use those again. Not that you want that kind of pad, I've heard the EBC reds are supposed to be a good street pad, but after my experience I'm just done with EBC for now.

I've tended to stay away from high dollar street pads, the ones I have tried don't seem to deliver. More money should buy less "compromise" in my mind. But yet these street performance pads all have compromises, whether it's noise, or grunts, bad cold performance whatever else. When I need a performance pad that can do everything, I always come back to the Porterfield R4-S. If you need to have it all, you can make them quiet, and they work from dead of winter to a track day.

Looking at RockAuto real quick, I'd get a Centric Posi-Quiet or the PQ Pro I'm sure those will work great. You could try the Brembo NAO Ceramic I can't imagine Brembo is going to put out a crappy ceramic pad so probably worth a try if you want the low dust. I know people like the fancy rotors, but I would use blanks all day every day. None of the holes and slots will do anything for you, just opportunity for noise. OEM, Zimmerman or Centric high carbon rotors.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I did Zimmerman rotors and oem pads, orders from FCP Euro

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I love these sound names “carbon ceramic" brakes, for the price of $ 100-500
Ceramic brake pads for $50 ;)

In reality carbon ceramic brakes set at least $ 3000 to $ 15.0000 , depending on the manufacturer and vehicle model

·
Registered
979 Posts
There is always a little bit of marketing, or maybe a lot ha. That's how you sell stuff! They do seem to take advantage of the "ceramic" term, to be fair the "xxxxx-ceramic" pads they are likely trying to address some downsides of ceramic pads: lack of initial bite and consistency of friction performance. You can address that inexpensively as well though, with a semi-metallic pad.

A lot of times people discount the value of a higher priced product, in many cases you can buy less compromise with more money. Brake pads do seem hit or miss though, $200 pads don't always seem to offer more value over the $50 pads. So many choices too you can't try them all.

If there is one pad I wouldn't use, it's the OEM due it's proven ability to "warp" rotors...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Marketing or not, compare prices of standard brakes for XC60 18 "and Polestar 20"

BRAKE DISC KIT
Front wheel brake 19 "Part Number: 31400569 $ 170
Performance Front wheel brake. 20 ".Part Number: 32276784 $ 849

BRAKE PAD KIT
Disc Brake Pad Set (18 ", 19", Left, Right, Front) $ 156
Disc Brake Pad Set (20 ", Front) Polestar Performance Part Number: 32276788 $ 566

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at there, what is your point? OEM is kind of a different ballgame, they don't price parts competitively as Volvo is the only source, although dealers can compete by lowering their margin below the "retail" price. Those parts can def be had at far better prices.

The rotor on the Polestar is a 2 piece performance design, far more costly than the 366mm chunk of iron, the price is not surprising. Hard to say on the pads, probably a higher end pad compound with performance that meets Volvo's OEM specs. Is it truly 3 times the standard pad in value, or is there a bit of "Polestar" tax in there just because they can, who knows!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts