SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I want to powder coat a set of calipers. They are in bad shape including aluminum oxidation.

How do you do it? I do intend to go to a shop but the shop is a powder coating shop not specialized in calipers so they expect the calipers prepped, I mean all the rubber off, nipples, pistons removed, and at least to tell them what should masked off.

What parts of the caliper do you mask off aside the obvious like piston bores and install holes threads.

The tricky question now: do you separate the two halves or not? The OEM does not look like they were coated after assembly. What I found online said not to separate them when painting as they might leak after. If you do separate them where do you get the seals? I saw some kits but they were for pistons, etc. If I do not separate them how do they get baked after undercoating w/o getting the internal seals damaged? Also if I do need to service them at some point it will be very hard to separate.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had mine done earlier this year. do not split them in two.

remove the seals and pistons, I got new seals and bleeder screws from ViVA Performance.

mine were chemically stripped and then powder coated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts