SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stock 06 S40 T5 AWD with a 5 speed auto trans, small wheels(16" I believe) and ****ty all season tires. I probably need a new torque mount, but I haven't actually examined the old mount yet. The handling is borderline acceptable and I don't have the money for good coilovers(winter driving makes #stancelife very impractical anyway.) However I know there is a plethora of bolt-on options for power gains, and I was wondering what would have the most noticeable effect on power for around $400. That isn't a steadfast limit, but an approximation of what I'm willing to spend. With all that being said, I acknowledge that a better handling car could utilize the existing power more effectively. If handling improvements would actually be greater than power improvements for that price range, I'm willing to consider something else. I have never owned a modded car so I don't really have any point of reference, and as such I'd appreciate some more some insight from you knowledgeable folks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My personal opinion from own experience, I didn't notice a significant power increase until I installed a tuned AFTER installing the intake, downpipe, etc,. It took a combination of everything to get the car to an acceptable level of quick but not fast.

My advice spend that 400$ on Maintnance, get you some good oil, change your plugs and definitely start saving for new tires.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
tires or lowering springs will give you the most performance for 400$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts