SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new set of parking brake shoes and wondered if anyone has experience with the various brands available. This will be my third set. First set disintegrated at 30k miles destroying a rotor, spindle, shoes and hardware. Big bucks to repair. Second set did not delaminate, but sticking cable and shoe adjuster resulted in wear and some minor damage. Replacing everything along with the axle bearings (hope the new splash guard helps in the future).

Looking at:
OEM Volvo
Bosch
Textar (about the same price as OEM)
Pro Parts (cheapest and not my likely choice).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I used OEM and was very happy with the result. I've heard that others don't hold the car very well, so that's kind of a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah I have meyle ones I think and they're terrible.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm using ATE, looks like a well made part.
I have the ATE ones sitting in my pile of parts. On the black car it was a M66 and even with the parking brake on it would still try to roll away, so it was a top priority. On my new Sonic blue car, it's auto so the car rolling away is not a huge deal.

I'm still planning on installing them when I do the back brakes on this car since they like to delaminate and explode.

The ATE units look very well made, and since it's the same ATE that makes super blue brake fluid and Volvo spec SL.6 low viscosity fluid, I think ATE should be a good quality aftermarket supplier. I mean they can't be worse than the factory Volvo pads that delaminate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided on the Textar. Got some good reports on them and am a bit loathe to go with the Volvo ones again after the past experience and no indication from Volvo that they have made any changes.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I have the ATE ones sitting in my pile of parts. On the black car it was a M66 and even with the parking brake on it would still try to roll away, so it was a top priority. On my new Sonic blue car, it's auto so the car rolling away is not a huge deal.

I'm still planning on installing them when I do the back brakes on this car since they like to delaminate and explode.

The ATE units look very well made, and since it's the same ATE that makes super blue brake fluid and Volvo spec SL.6 low viscosity fluid, I think ATE should be a good quality aftermarket supplier. I mean they can't be worse than the factory Volvo pads that delaminate.
Where did you find ATE shoes? What part #?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Where did you find ATE shoes? What part #?
Uh, I have been sitting on them quite a while. I want to say, they came from FCP back when they had the FCP Groton website?

Part number on the box is 31262874. I will see if I can find them online somewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Texar shoes that I installed hold extremely well. Car doesn't roll on any slope I have tried - in either direction. I will be checking them at least annually for any signs of delam (already had to replace a complete rear spindle assy due to the shoes exploding - expensive!). Installing the new cables was pretty easy for the most part. One of the bolts that holds the cable at the rear frame came out with the threaded insert that goes onto the plastic frame part. With some serious soaking with Kroil, then cutting away the plastic cable clip so that I could access the bolt and cutting off the excess threads showing on the inside end of the insert, I was able to get the bolt out of the insert and reinstall the insert in the frame.

Now it looks like I need to replace the front wheel bearings - noisy and I keep getting anti skid and abs warnings along with engine stumbling on right hand turns with acceleration. Bearing noise is louder on right turns than left ones. I think I am glad I got that big slide hammer kit with all the pieces to remove the hubs as well as press out the axles.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Uh, I have been sitting on them quite a while. I want to say, they came from FCP back when they had the FCP Groton website?

Part number on the box is 31262874. I will see if I can find them online somewhere.
Interesting...those say they are for the XC90 and do not fit the R:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-parking-brake-shoe-set-rear-ate-31262874

Edit:
But others, like this, show that ones that fit XC90's also fit R's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parking-Bra...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm using the ones from IPD. They're definitely different from the stock shoes; they don't grab as much but they hold the car in place on a slope, you just have to pull up on the handle a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Anyone used the Pro Parts Sweden shoes?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Decided to try out Beck Arnley shoes.

Edit: I also went with the AC Delco hardware kit because it comes with the star wheel adjuster instead of the shim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts