SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amsoil 5w30 (#1) or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (#2). Considering the large price differential, PUP is the clear winner for DI engines.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Amsoil 5w30 (#1) or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (#2). Considering the large price differential, PUP is the clear winner for DI engines.

Here in EUROPE for diesel Drive-E they are using Castrol Edge Professional 0w-30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 XC60 D5 Inscription w. Polestar tune
2011 XC60 D5 Summum

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

This is from the Owners Manual: UK, international, German and Denmark

All are mentioned in the specification oil 0w-20

Maybe Volvo US has other specifications and requirements . Volvo in the rest of the world recommends Castrol 0W-20 oil

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder if the US spec is thinking about heat. The countries in the extracts above don’t get to Death Valley temps.
I will ask my service guy in Canada.

Volvo certainly like that Castrol oil and I suspect that any of 0W-20 to 5W-30 will all be just fine in my Southern Ontario area. Lows of -23 or so for a few days a year and highs around +33 similarly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I wonder if the US spec is thinking about heat. The countries in the extracts above don’t get to Death Valley temps.
I will ask my service guy in Canada.

Volvo certainly like that Castrol oil and I suspect that any of 0W-20 to 5W-30 will all be just fine in my Southern Ontario area. Lows of -23 or so for a few days a year and highs around +33 similarly

The rest of the world also means the Middle East where temperatures are 40-55 degrees Celsius in summer (104-130 ° F)

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is certainly true!
So what do Volvo really want apart from the oil being A5B5 for extended oil changes and thin for fractionally better economy. Maybe I am just being old fashioned here but I would be happier with considering my many short trips in Winter being ‘extreme’ and using the 0W20. No garage here so every morning start is from cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts