SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched threads first so I hope this topic is not too redundnat. There are so many to choose from so I need some user experience to weigh in. The VIDA ones say the software only works with an XP computer (not XP or newer OS) so that makes me not want that one. I want the tool to reset check engine light, but it seems most do not reset the service reminder which seems fine as most Volvos seem to be resettable in other ways. I guess the main feature is that the tool should have the volvo codes, and do more than just engine and emisions codes that some reader only do. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I just ordered one that is software based to use on a laptop, if it's good I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I searched threads first so I hope this topic is not too redundnat. There are so many to choose from so I need some user experience to weigh in. The VIDA ones say the software only works with an XP computer (not XP or newer OS) so that makes me not want that one. I want the tool to reset check engine light, but it seems most do not reset the service reminder which seems fine as most Volvos seem to be resettable in other ways. I guess the main feature is that the tool should have the volvo codes, and do more than just engine and emisions codes that some reader only do. Thanks for any help.
installed a copy of vida 2010D onto my laptop with win 7 ultimate. works without issues.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have an Actron (can't remember the model) I picked years ago from Autozone - it works great, seems pretty rugged and has a serial port I believe for updates. It provides codes and English Language statement of code meanings.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I ended up getting the Foxwell NT300 from IPD. Very pleased with the first use. I had one of the check engine lights, along with the emission control service warning. I cleared it (after learning a little about what it was) to see if it would come back on soon (determine the urgency). I also wanted to make sure it was not something that could be damaging to other parts. The code I got was related to the front O2 sensor or the many things that can trigger that code related. Anyway since the lights have not come on again since, I am hoping it was a slight fault or vacuum leak that is not constant. So for what it would have cost to check this at the dealer, I think I about paid for the scan tool.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but also interested in one to work on my 03 XC70. I tried installing VIDA 2010 on both my laptops and it gives an error message saying that one piece of criteria is not met or something.. I need to erase a SRS Airbag code I got when I disconnected radio & climate controls.. Is VIDA my only option for that? I don't have any CEL's at the moment, just the SRS thing..

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Vida is the only option for that, airbags are not technically part of the OBD specification so it's not required for generic scanners to read and clear their codes. Manufacturers could include them but most choose not to so they can charge for resetting the system.

In other news the unit I bought works for talking to the car and cleared my emission code after I fixed the leak (stupid hose on top of the rear subframe, nightmare to replace) but it doesn't read a/f ratio or boost pressure, only a few data points like MPH and RPM and gas mileage, basically all the stuff you see on the trip computer or instrument panel already.

This is it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IAGNNG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased an iCarsoft i906 scanner from ebay for $96....it reads volvo specific codes that generic scanners can't. Worth it considering i was able to read and erase volvo specific error codes. It will also work for Saab cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I purchased an iCarsoft i906 scanner from ebay for $96....it reads volvo specific codes that generic scanners can't. Worth it considering i was able to read and erase volvo specific error codes. It will also work for Saab cars.
Does it allow update to laptops? Just bought a 310k kms v70 SE looking to restore to showroom spec.

Dont mind soending the 100$ ash long as i can log via usb or preferably android....
I just ordered one that is software based to use on a laptop, if it's good I'll report back.
Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.