SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling what I should be asking is, is there a way to upgrade my MAF and keep the stock look of an original airbox... but what got me here makes the question a bit more complicated.

I have a '98 T5M S70. The engine has been replaced with a 2001 T5. At some point I'm looking to go to an 18 or 19t. During the engine install I used the original '98 MAF, but somehow ended up with an RN air box cover from an '99 or '00. This airbox has a larger opening for the MAF so I sealed with a bunch of extra O-rings and managed to get it together in a stock looking kind of way and it is running well. Now I'm adding a Snabb intake pipe and with the silicone elbow at the top. I realize I could change to any size MAF I wanted simply by changing out the size of this elbow. Would the '99-'00 MAF that was supposed to fit my airbox be a bolt on part? Would I need to trade out the sensor for my '98 to keep the electronics happy? With tuning would it be an upgrade?

I did try and research this but I couldn't find any talk about differences between the N and RN MAF's. I did find info with people talking about 960 MAF's, BMW 540 MAF's and of course the RS4 MAF on P80's but from what I could gather all these require the removal of the stock airbox for a cone filter. Does anyone have an upgraded MAF that uses the stock airbox?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
960 maf with me7 airbox

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response. is the 960 maf complete plug and play, or is there something to be done with the sensor? do i use the 960 sensor or sub in my original?

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
thanks for the quick response. is the 960 maf complete plug and play, or is there something to be done with the sensor? do i use the 960 sensor or sub in my original?
I believe you put the existing element in the new housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts