SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Was wondering the best kind of 1. Oil for this car/engine (2000 V70 XC AWD, 5-cyl turbo but not the T5 I think? Engine size? Oil capacity? Where is the filter? Drain bolt?,) 2. Is Volvo coolant really the best? No Prestone? No "Steel Seal/Blue Devil" to prevent any leaks before they start? What COLOR?

And, last but not least, battery. Winter is COMING! I am inclined to run a 0W-30 synthetic and the battery must be able to handle the cold.. I need to know the "group size."

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome to SS. Fill in your location so we know what kind of climate you live in.

The 2000 XC has the engine designation B5244T. It is a light pressure turbo motor equipped with the 13T Mitsubishi turbo.

You can find oil information in your owner's manual. It's also available online. A lot of us run synthetic oil in our turbo cars. OE filter for this car is made by Mahle. It's located under the car inside a filter housing that can be unscrewed with an oil filter socket. New filters usually come with a new o-ring for this.

Generally a 5w30 is fine for winter. In Sweden the dealers usually use a 5w40 year round unless you are way way up in the north. I always used a 5w30 during winter when I lived in Maine and it got pretty cold there.

The Volvo battery is a good one (600 cca). I believe it's made by Interstate. I run a 700 cca Interstate battery and it has lasted 7 years now.

As for coolant. The Volvo stuff is recommended (It's blue) and isn't too pricey. I think BMW's coolant is about the same formulation and price. The heater cores tend to leak on these cars so using the right coolant is important to prevent corrosion.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I live in Boston, Massachusetts.

I am wondering what kind of oil filter to pick up (size/letter designation) and if I can reach the oil filter by sliding under the car and looking up to the engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you look at where the upper radiator hose comes out of the engine, the oil filter is almost straight down under the engine next to a recess in the oil pan.

·
Registered
90 Posts
bobistheoilguy.com has all the info you will ever need to know about oil. Price aside, I have determined that Redline 0w30 fits my daily "sporty" driving needs better than anything else on the market. I urge you to do some reading on bobistheoilguy.com and make your own decision though.

As for coolant, I only use Sierra brand simply because its the only propylene glycol based coolant readily avilable at auto part stores. Propylene glycol not only performs better than ethelene glycol (traditional coolant, including Volvo coolant), but it is also not toxic, so I don't feel as bad when I dispose of it down the drain. Its definitely worth the extra few dollars per gallon in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I think Peak global meets all of the requirements for these cars. I don't remember why though. Non-Phosphate or something.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am very pleased with Redline 0W-30 in my 07 2.4L NA. 7,000 - 7,500 OCI, Mahle or Mann filter. I like the 183 VI, high levels of moly, zinc and phosphorus. The engine is buttery smooth with no varnish on the splash screen. I would encourage you to visit bobistheoilguy.com and make your own decision.
bobistheoilguy.com has all the info you will ever need to know about oil. Price aside, I have determined that Redline 0w30 fits my daily "sporty" driving needs better than anything else on the market. I urge you to do some reading on bobistheoilguy.com and make your own decision though.

As for coolant, I only use Sierra brand simply because its the only propylene glycol based coolant readily avilable at auto part stores. Propylene glycol not only performs better than ethelene glycol (traditional coolant, including Volvo coolant), but it is also not toxic, so I don't feel as bad when I dispose of it down the drain. Its definitely worth the extra few dollars per gallon in my opinion.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I NEVER run a 0 w oil in Volvos, it's not in the specs
I run either 5w 30 or 10w 30 Mobil 1 depending on the weather but usually 10-30 as it doesn't get all that cold here as a rule

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I NEVER run a 0 w oil in Volvos, it's not in the specs
I run either 5w 30 or 10w 30 Mobil 1 depending on the weather but usually 10-30 as it doesn't get all that cold here as a rule
I'm the same on this, 10W 30 usually suits just fine in the winter, and Boston wouldn't be reaching negative temps all too often so that should be just fine.

As for coolant all that maters is that you do NOT mix coolants! Pick one and stick with it. If the coolant is drained and FLUSHED properly, you can use any modern coolant that is good for "all engines", just stick with what you use from then on. Some people will swear up and down on only using a certain type of coolant because of the block but that's simply untrue with modern coolants, mixing is the only danger as it can cause particulates.

Absolutely do not use any sealant or blue devil, that's for if you have a headgasket leak and is NOT preventative, it's a quick fix. I must say though I've used blue devil once to save a newer beatle with a blown headgasket and it worked amazingly, but no, don't use it on the volvo.

As for the battery, I run an Optima yellow top in my V70R. It doesn't technically fit being wayyyyy smaller than the stock battery but a couple shims to hold it in place and it's heads above anything else. I've left an interior light on all night in almost negative temps a few times and the car still fired right up in the morning. Optima batteries are simply phenomenal.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Most of the chain parts stores list a Group 47 battery in their parts database, but a Group 48 battery costs about the same and has roughly 17% more CCA and fits in the battery tray(same width as group 47 specs)

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As to battery: I ended up buying this.

As to the coolant: I have heard "Volvo Blue coolant" is the best, and what you want in here.

As to the oil, Iw as going to put in Redline 0W-20 since BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) states that it is "A light 30-weight oil," or just go half and half with Redline 0W-20 and Redline 0W-30 (which is closer to a 40-weight.)

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As to battery: I ended up buying this.

As to the coolant: I have heard "Volvo Blue coolant" is the best, and what you want in here.

As to the oil, Iw as going to put in Redline 0W-20 since BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) states that it is "A light 30-weight oil," or just go half and half with Redline 0W-20 and Redline 0W-30 (which is closer to a 40-weight.)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
i'll just post what I said before

As for coolant all that maters is that you do NOT mix coolants! Pick one and stick with it. If the coolant is drained and FLUSHED properly, you can use any modern coolant that is good for "all engines", just stick with what you use from then on. Some people will swear up and down on only using a certain type of coolant because of the block but that's simply untrue with modern coolants, mixing is the only danger as it can cause particulates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts