SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for 2 high back booster seats. I already have 1 but don’t like the fit. I asked The Volvo parts department for a price on theirs and it was ridiculous. What does everyone use? What fits the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am in the market for 2 high back booster seats. I already have 1 but don’t like the fit. I asked The Volvo parts department for a price on theirs and it was ridiculous. What does everyone use? What fits the best?

The clek oobr works well. A lot of high back boosters don't work well with the xc90 because of the way the head rest was designed. It pushes out the back part of the booster making it unsafe to use. The clek oobr isn't too bad but the Chicco kidfit didn't work well with the xc90.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Recaro Performance Sport is awesome, but unfortunately Recaro stopped selling in the US market. I have two of these in my XC90.

If you're interested (and in the SF Bay Area), I have a very clean used one for sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for asking! I have some older britax high back boosters and they do not fit well at all. I took the back off and put one in the 3rd row for my 8 year old and that works fine since he never sleeps in the car. My almost 5 year old is still in a convertible seat. I don’t really trust her to move to a booster quite yet but we are getting close. The integrated seat is nice but I don’t want her in the middle plus I’d have to buy the cushion for it for trips. She tends to kick her brothers and I like to space them out. I like the peg perego flex 120 but it’s so expensive. I’d love to get the Chico kidfit but I’m glad someone here said it didn’t fit ahead of time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Diono's fit well in our XC90 - so does the Britax Pioneer Combination. If I was pushed I'd say the Britax fits better

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was recently shopping for a high back booster, as our XC90 arrives next week. I wanted one that allows for a gap between the back of the booster and the vehicle seat because of Volvo’s non-adjustable, non-removable head restraints, which slope forward. The product manuals tell you specifically if it’s acceptable or not. That meant that the Chicco KidFit and Britax Skyline were out, among others.

The Diono booster manuals state that a gap is acceptable so long as the top of the booster touches the vehicle seat or headrest. I ordered the Everett, as it’s the narrowest, and it also has rigid LATCH, which looks easy to install. I’ll update when i receive the car and booster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Maxi Cosi RodiFix would also work. There’s a tool on their website which tells you if your particular car is compatible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was recently shopping for a high back booster, as our XC90 arrives next week. I wanted one that allows for a gap between the back of the booster and the vehicle seat because of Volvo’s non-adjustable, non-removable head restraints, which slope forward. The product manuals tell you specifically if it’s acceptable or not. That meant that the Chicco KidFit and Britax Skyline were out, among others.

The Diono booster manuals state that a gap is acceptable so long as the top of the booster touches the vehicle seat or headrest. I ordered the Everett, as it’s the narrowest, and it also has rigid LATCH, which looks easy to install. I’ll update when i receive the car and booster.

Not sure what you mean. A high backed booster seat (any of them I think) should touch the headrest. I've had at least 3 different makes in our XC90 and all of them touch the headrest. If you have the seat attached via the isofix points, and also tethered, there should be no issue. The seat isn't going to go anywhere, if installed correctly. I've seen people who barely have the seat tightened down properly, and it moves around on the seat of the vehicle, even with a kid in it - a seat that does that is NOT installed correctly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure what you mean. A high backed booster seat (any of them I think) should touch the headrest. I've had at least 3 different makes in our XC90 and all of them touch the headrest. If you have the seat attached via the isofix points, and also tethered, there should be no issue. The seat isn't going to go anywhere, if installed correctly. I've seen people who barely have the seat tightened down properly, and it moves around on the seat of the vehicle, even with a kid in it - a seat that does that is NOT installed correctly.
That’s what the manual says. I think some people install high backed boosters with the headrests pushed all the way up or even removed, so that configuration wouldn’t work with the Diono seats (moot point with a Volvo anyway).

My point was that the gap (usually just under the vehicle headrest area where it’s kind of concave) is not an issue with some boosters, while with other brands, the manufacturer specifically says if there’s a gap, it’s a no-go.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We are transitioning our 6.5 year old from his Clek Foonf seats to the Oobr high back booster in all of our vehicles. The Clek seats have been fantastic.

The only downfall to the Oobr is they are hard to get in any color other than all black. Clek moved to a new manufacturing facility in Canada and the Oobr has been out of stock most places for 2 months. We bought one in black to try in our vehicles for fitment and to see if our son liked it. That will go to the grandparents for use in their vehicles when more color options are available. The last time I spoke to a Clek rep she said they'd have production back up by September, so hopefully they'll be available soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How about a booster that leaves enough room to access the buckle? The Volvo buckles are set deep into the seat cushions and don’t leave much extra to pull them out to make them more accessible. I have a black sock tied around the end to hold it upright. But that still does not get it out enough for my 6.5 year old to buckle on there own. They make these “buckle buddies”, pictured, made out of silicone rubber but its not any better than my DIY solution. Buckle extenders, if you found one that fits the Volvo, are not really safe. Anyone find a good solution?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So here is the Diono Everett booster in the XC90. It’s a narrow seat, so there’s a good amount of space between the booster and the buckle receiver. My 7 year old daughter didn’t have any trouble at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So here is the Diono Everett booster in the XC90. It’s a narrow seat, so there’s a good amount of space between the booster and the buckle receiver. My 7 year old daughter didn’t have any trouble at all.

Thats a good looking seat!! The Diono's seem to work well in Volvo's - we've had them in two S80's, a first generation XC90 and now in a current generation XC90. I've also had them installed in S60 and XC60 loaners

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

What kind of seat protector is that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts