SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on downpipes. I'm concerned about fitment, quality of the pipe, and quality of the catalytic converter especially. I bought a pipe previously for my S70 and the cat failed a smog test after just one year of driving.

I see a huge difference in pricing so I'm confused about quality.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Custom, or a cheap catless pipe and have it modified with a high end metal monolith cat of your choice. I have an IPD DP and love it, although it is now catless since it gernaded after 40K miles. Pipe still works and fits great although there is no cat in place.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Custom, or a cheap catless pipe and have it modified with a high end metal monolith cat of your choice. I have an IPD DP and love it, although it is now catless since it gernaded after 40K miles. Pipe still works and fits great although there is no cat in place.
Ya I was thinking this was a good route. I'm guessing a Magnaflow cat?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
How can you say that? There has been no evidence that a 3.5" pipe has any benefit over a 3".

Edit: And IPD's is too expensive (Elevates is more) and can get rusty ugly.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Phuzzy DP coated black, with FMIC! $1,150 for both.

·
Registered
727 Posts
OBX DP with Custom intercooler :) both of those together will leave you enough money for a tune!

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have to agree.. OBX with a highflow cat welded in makes the most sense to me considering the prices on the other brands. Mine cost me under $250 with a decent cat welded in.. can't go wrong with that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
races60r.com I have his on my car and quality is up there with the best in my opinion!! Hes great to work with as well, very very nice!
;)

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.
I just removed my OBX after selling my VR and it looks as good as any other I've seen after about a year of use. At that price point, even if it needs to be replaced every couple of years it's still only $180 shipped. It's also nice to be able to choose the cat you want, whether it's a race cat or something more civilized.

I'm not knocking the higher priced brands.. they do fit nicely and don't come with the ridiculous rear flange of the OBX, but an aftermarket down pipe for the R should never cost nearly as much as a good SS cat-back.

Has anyone here tried the CNT dp from ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNT-Racing-Catted-Volvo-2003-2007-S60R-V70R-AWD-Downpipe-/300665169945?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7694227459378038627

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not sure but i stand behind Races60r.com's products, I am super picky about my car and what goes on it and the quality is up there with the products costing hundreds more

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure but i stand behind Races60r.com's products, I am super picky about my car and what goes on it and the quality is up there with the products costing hundreds more
I agree here, this pipe had great build quality, perfect fitment, and no O2 spacer needed/no codes

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
RaceS60R's (GSX_Todd) has been around awhile and he also has a FMIC package. Quality stuff and quality materials used.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Double post jinx!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts