SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Best downpipe deal ever? (tomedkaz)

Well if it seems to good to be true then.....

Now with that old adage out of the way, if someone doesn't care about a buck fifty then go for it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: (runelind)

Quote, originally posted by runelind »
I think you should add "if someone doesn't care about a buck fifty and the dp falling off on the highway then go for it and see what happens"

First off let me say, I don't have 150 to throw around but....

I don't see what the big deal is. So what, even if it doesn't have a cat, chop the pipe and install your fav race/high flow cat and voila. You have a legit dp for what $150+maybe another $150 for the cat plus some $ for welding the pieces? like $400 total? Still cheap! Only thing I would be leery of is the correct mating at the turbo and the welds that hold the brackets no holding up.

Edit: just realized they never say what size pipe it is?

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, there is always a CEL eliminator, and that DP seems to have a bung for that.

I'd worry about the flange welds letting out, but other than that - a pipe is a pipe.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Awesome.

A downpipe that actually is reasonable compare to the cost of materials.

Buy it, and add your on Meow.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Speaking from experience, there is no way ANY of that material is quality. It obviously comes off a production line in China, but even so, I have no idea how it costs that little. The flanges alone, at least here in the CONUS, are quite expensive when made with a quality 3/8" SS material.
Someone please buy one and report back.
...Not it!

·
Registered
588 Posts

Sigh... I think I might have to try this....Pray for me....... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »
Well, there is always a CEL eliminator, and that DP seems to have a bung for that.

I'd worry about the flange welds letting out, but other than that - a pipe is a pipe.

I have not had a cat on my previous two cars, no big deal and I almost like the smell
. OBX is a low end company that makes a bunch of parts, mostly for Honda. It's not going to 'fall off on the highway' , however, might have a shorter lifespan.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Re: Best downpipe deal ever? (xman03)

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »

I have not had a cat on my previous two cars, no big deal and I almost like the smell
. OBX is a low end company that makes a bunch of parts, mostly for Honda. It's not going to 'fall off on the highway' , however, might have a shorter lifespan.

It'll def, last more than a few years.

I've seen quite a few OBX crap cost parts. Here in California we don't have to worry about corosion or salt. The only issues we have with the OBX that i've seen and heard from based on Maximas, Mr2's, Hondas, Evo's etc... are items cracking...especially from the headers.

But with th is downpipe design, there really isn't too much that can go wrong. Its a simple flex pipe and welds on the Flanges.

If you get the item and some welds look shoddy or messy, bring it to a decent welder and have them clean it up. You'll still have an inexpensive product.

Fitment shouldn't be too difficult either, its a simple design. Some McGuyyver skills may be necessary.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Best downpipe deal ever? (adale)

Quote, originally posted by adale »
Sigh... I think I might have to try this....Pray for me....... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

DO IT

Quote, originally posted by runelind »
I think you should add "if someone doesn't care about a buck fifty and the dp falling off on the highway then go for it and see what happens"

Nahh its not going to fall off, it may fit like a biatch or crack though.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
a TON of the guys over on VS run this OBX stuff, i wondered when they might start making stuff for the newer cars...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: (xman03)

they stole a picture from the EST website... dont trust it http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: (cbutt)

Quote, originally posted by cbutt »

they stole a picture from the EST website... dont trust it http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
well, the design is a copy of EST's(or their supplier's rather), its not really nice of them, but that's life.

//Also just noticed EST has their exhaust on sale

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Re: (juve021)

Quote, originally posted by juve021 »

First off let me say, I don't have 150 to throw around but....

I don't see what the big deal is. So what, even if it doesn't have a cat, chop the pipe and install your fav race/high flow cat and voila. You have a legit dp for what $150+maybe another $150 for the cat plus some $ for welding the pieces? like $400 total? Still cheap! Only thing I would be leery of is the correct mating at the turbo and the welds that hold the brackets no holding up.

Edit: just realized they never say what size pipe it is?

+1!!

This is what most of the 850/S70 FWD VS guys are doing for their downpipe option instead of paying $700 for the IPD version. These OBX pipes are actually a great deal, well built and great fitment. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for my 854 this summer and doing the exact same by welding(or clamp on) in a high flow cat to the OBX downpipe. Don't believe me?? Go over to VS and do a search...

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...ow-to/

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.