SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 SR M66 with 79K and im looking to upgrade my CBV. I'm eventually going to get the tune from IPD so im not sure if keeping the original unit would be a smart idea. Any reccomendations on brands? Stock vs aftermarket? Any install tips/shortcuts?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I run a ARD tune with stock CBV and works fine, been at it since July. I would replace with Viva's when it fails.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sure... How long did you run the tune on stock CBV, and before realizing yours leaked?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have/had stock CBV on tuned engine for more than 100K (km) and didn't have any trouble, but good aftermarket CBV should be much better than stock.
I have ordered two CBVs for our two Rs from Elevate today...

I would go with VIVA or Elevate.
I went with Elevate simply because it's a Turbosmart product and I used their products before.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the better one in your opinion? Viva or elevate? I'd rather spend more money for a better quality part.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't know anyone that is using the Elevate's one since it just came out; majority of use the ViVA and I haven't heard 1 complaint - not implying there may not be any, just haven't heard of any.

Turbosmart is a good brand, so can't really go wrong there. IDK, up to you.

GL.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read up on both viva's and elevate's sites and I like the fact that elevate used a piston. So I think I'm gonna try the elevate. Anyone have any tips or shortcuts on the install to save time and frustration?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I just read up on both viva's and elevate's sites and I like the fact that elevate used a piston. So I think I'm gonna try the elevate. Anyone have any tips or shortcuts on the install to save time and frustration?

Our unit is made for us by Forge, a well known and trusted company. Our CBV also utilizes a piston/spring valve, and the springs are replacable and servicable. There are many threads on the forums on installing our CBV unit on the R turbo's.

·
Registered
727 Posts
if you mean while it is out of the car, you literally unscrew the top and put the new spring and retighten

·
Registered
727 Posts
Also it is well worth the money, just replaced mine the the forge cbv and before i was getting boost up to fifteen and fall off to 12-13. With the new cbv i boost 16 and then it hold fifteen solid. Boost also builds noticeably faster. Def worth the money!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you suggest the viva over the elevate? And what pound spring should I put in for a stock tune?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have no experience with the elevate, but i can vouch that the viva cbv is top quality and does exactly what it states. It comes with the stock spring in it so you do not have to do anything, just install it!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
and for when i get the tune it comes with the heavier spring also?
Yes the Viva CBV comes with a spring for a stock tune and a spring for tuned cars.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i starting to think viva is my best bet. now what i want to know is how much of a pain it is to reach the cbv to replace it. i heard 2 of the bolts are hard to get to

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since the ELEVATE CBV isn't adjustable I hope it will work well on a stock tune. I wish there was some feedback from people who have the ELEVATE one so I'd know how they liked it. Since its a pain in the a$$ job I want to make sure I get the better CBV the first time so I don't have to tackle it a second time with another valve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts