SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So although I've only had my R for a few months, I'm keeping her for the long haul. In a few months I wanna swap out this weak ass 2.5L for a 2.3 or 2.4 so I don't have to worry about sleeves cracking at 20 psi.

Should I go with a 2.3 or 2.4, what years should they be from, and is shimming something I can do myself? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If your original engine doesnt have cracks now, then keep it and shim it properly. Problem solved

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Pretty much what contrast said...or once it goes ,get a nice low miles 2005 -09 2.4 T5 and sink that in... at 20 psi with stock k24 I would have no worries even without shims with 81 mm bore.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Even with the R's 2.5l, is 20 psi still something really to worry about? I thought it was around 24-26 where problems should almost be expected.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Even with the R's 2.5l, is 20 psi still something really to worry about? I thought it was around 24-26 where problems should almost be expected.
It's not just about the psi you can have a mishap at 15 psi but 83mm I would shim for 20psi...but that's just me...also just cause you have shims it does not mean you can not melt through that section of aluminum when wrong conditions arise. ..and same goes for bulletproof internals, they are not bullet prove either....but that's why I don't get into theoretical debates so let me stop scaring people...lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Right, Under the right circumstances anything could happen really.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well yeah i know what you mean dougy. but i've read through your "2.3l built for under $1000" and i wanna do something similar to that. my engine's at 152k so i just wanna start taking precautionary measures. in 2 years when i'm working i'll go nuts with the sleeving and what not. for now though, i'm 20 and in college so i gotta make do lol :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
well yeah i know what you mean dougy. but i've read through your "2.3l built for under $1000" and i wanna do something similar to that. my engine's at 152k so i just wanna start taking precautionary measures. in 2 years when i'm working i'll go nuts with the sleeving and what not. for now though, i'm 20 and in college so i gotta make do lol :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok..well ,when you do get there don't get lost ...there are many many many bulletproof builts that don't last more than 20k...that's why i love junk yards...it is just a caR. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
25PSI seems to have an average life of 6k miles. 135k seems average with stock tune.

I would shim it regardless of what you do - 2.3, 2.4, whatever. Right now I have no shim records in our spreadsheet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts