SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

I'm the proud mamma of a 2019 XC-40 T5 Momentum that I bought to tow little teardrop trailer. I had the factory tow package installed when I ordered the car (OSD pickup Jan 2019), and I've taken one trip with the car and trailer so far. It was great! But... I have brake controller questions. The trailer weighs 1,200lbs dry and probably about 1,500lbs loaded, well under the 3,500lb max tow rating of the XC-40, but getting close to the 1,650lb unbraked tow rating. I want to use my trailer brakes help take the load off of the XC-40's brakes.

The trailer has brakes and on my first trip I tried using the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller because it just plugs into the 7-pin connector and then you control it by bluetooth from your phone, no drilling holes in the dash etc. I found the brake controller unreliable so I returned it. The main issues I had were: sometimes it would brake when I was not braking, and sometimes it would NOT brake when I *was* braking. Not cool. I thought maybe some of the braking when I didn't have my food on the pedal might have been from some autobraking the Volvo was doing to control sway or something, not sure, but in any case, the fact that it sometimes would not brake when I was braking is a deal breaker for me.

I just think that the bluetooth or any other wireless technology is maybe not quite reliable enough to trust with something as crucial as braking. So... what brake controller should I get instead? I want a proportional brake controller that is minimal in size and that can be installed with the minimum amount of damage to the XC-40. I wonder if it's possible to make use of the card slots in the dash to aid in installation without drilling holes? Anybody have experience with installing a brake controller on their XC-40?

ps sorry this photo is so huge! idk how to resize it in this forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!
This has been a while, but i am really curious: did you find a solution for this? I have a 2018 V60 CC - so it's a little different, but I think the basic installation is the same: there's the module and the 4/7wiring harness, and then he car gets a software update: it should recognize when a trailer is attached to the car now. I got this far with my local Volvo shop: But we could not get the Curt Echo to work at all: there is no power to it. This would be on the upper right ( one o clock) position. If you would know, that you have constant power on there, it'd be great to know! ( blue light on Echo )

It sounds like your Echo at least had power ( could it be going on/off due to a not solid connection though?) and some braking ( intermittently of course is not acceptable - even dangerous if it brakes without you actually braking!!! )
What I am curious about is also: how do you know your trailer was braking? ( with mine it's simple: the brakes squeak, but other than that I would not really know how to tell they are working - but I never had a trailer braking while I was not - That would be pretty obvious! )

I think there's one other wireless brake controller ( see link below) - all other will require connecting it to power ( battery?) in the cockpit area and running wires all the way back to your 4//7 connector and I don't know how the brake module and also the general board computer will work with that. That's why I thought a wireless proportional controller would be best: The bluetooth does not control the brakes it only helps adjusting the strength of the trailer brakes ( so even if you lost Bluetooth for a moment it should be ok )
The actual braking is initiated by the proportional sensor in the Echo ( or any other proportional brake controller: that's why they are not connected to the brakes ) it senses/measures the deceleration and applies it accordingly to the trailer brakes?

But maybe you went a different route. If you could share that'd be great!

Alternate Wireless Brake controller:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts