SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I "stage 0" my 2004 V70R, what mods will give me the best bang for the buck? I've already ordered a performance exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
R-Kelly Mod is pretty cheap.

If you have ordered an exhaust system, next best bang would be DP, CNT or OBX is the best bang for the buck since they are both cheap.

After that would be FMIC if you live in a very dry place IE Arizona, Texas or anywhere it is 70+ 75% of the time :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Does it really matter? Once you start it's hard to stop when it comes to mods lol.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Does it really matter? Once you start it's hard to stop when it comes to mods lol.
Sure it does, let's say something goes wrong with the car IE Angle Gear blows up or E-Brake explodes and you just spent most your money on a stupid exhaust system when you could of just spent that money on an $25 mod :D

Also not everyone has unlimited income and have a spending "limit" on said mods or wife will gut them and hang their balls out on the clothes line :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Tune trumps all. Been proven first hand. FMIC, downpipe, full exhaust, RIP, cold air intake, bigger filter - didn't add **** for horsepower.

ARD tune made the car what it was supposed to be, and even then, since the tune is still conservative, I doubt that all of those mods really made a difference.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
What about tires? All the "GO" and "WHOA" goodies are limited by the available traction?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
What about tires? All the "GO" and "WHOA" goodies are limited by the available traction?
Even if you have a tune, you really don't need to worry about it so long as you don't have bald tires, it's raining, or your AWD is broken.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have stated that I ordered the OBX DP with the CNT exhaust system so I have that covered.

Looks like IPD's R Kelly cold air intake has good reviews. Any others I should consider?

I've read that the stock TCV is often faulty and leads to power loss. Noticed IPD has that too and they are on sale through today.

I want to add a tune to the car, but I've read that depending on whom you purchase the tune from, it can be based on the mods you've made to the car. Given that, I want to get the basic mods out of the way before investing in the tune.

What is an RIP?

Car has good tires on it, but as soon as the snow really hits here in Minnesota, the snow tires will get mounted :-( Given that I am in MN, I will not need an FMIC upgrade until next summer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I should have stated that I ordered the OBX DP with the CNT exhaust system so I have that covered.

Looks like IPD's R Kelly cold air intake has good reviews. Any others I should consider?

I've read that the stock TCV is often faulty and leads to power loss. Noticed IPD has that too and they are on sale through today.

I want to add a tune to the car, but I've read that depending on whom you purchase the tune from, it can be based on the mods you've made to the car. Given that, I want to get the basic mods out of the way before investing in the tune.

What is an RIP?

Car has good tires on it, but as soon as the snow really hits here in Minnesota, the snow tires will get mounted :-( Given that I am in MN, I will not need an FMIC upgrade until next summer.

RIP = Reverse Inter-cooler Piping. Dont need this as the factory took care of it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Tune trumps all. Been proven first hand. FMIC, downpipe, full exhaust, RIP, cold air intake, bigger filter - didn't add **** for horsepower.

ARD tune made the car what it was supposed to be, and even then, since the tune is still conservative, I doubt that all of those mods really made a difference.
Agreed. Tune is the biggest increase for the dollar, it's better if you already have mods done to the car. But even at Stage 0, it's a 25-30hp upgrade for $500-700 (depending on which tune), no other mod will give you that kind of ramp up for the dollar.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

Tuning will make the most noticeable change for sure, but I wouldn't just load a tune. A downpipe is recommended because it allows for better flow. Without that, you risk overheating the turbo. The FMIC sure makes a difference when it gets hot out.

I think most people are disappointed with these modifications because the expectations are too high. A downpipe alone won't add that much, but it is recommended (I would say necessary) to tune. All of these things (except a bigger air filter, which is a waste IMO) promote better flow and help a tuned car run better for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Even if you have a tune, you really don't need to worry about it so long as you don't have bald tires, it's raining, or your AWD is broken.
Don´t really agree with you, good tyres is very important. No cheap ****.. I like to drive my car! More corners for everyone! So i like chassi-mods. Not tuoching my engine until the suspension/chassi is done.

TME springs together with IPD track sways is my favourite mod so far. :)

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

I can vouch for that.

Did the IPD air management system..... only better acoustics
Did CNT downpipe....... No performance increase
Did 3" catback exhaust....... No performance increase
Did IPD stage 2 tune....... No performance increase

Is the tune really supposed to be noticeable? I can tell you I noticed absolutely zero difference with the tune. In actuality, I think the car is actually a little more sluggish under normal acceleration than stock. I think IPD really F'd up my tune because I do not notice the night and day difference everyone else claims. Through acceleration in a gear it will hold stock level boost (~15psi) then hit 17 psi but only shortly before shifting to the next gear. Could this be a problem on my end? The car behaves just fine with the stock tune (boost to 14.7 psi and holds very very steady).

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
So far the FMIC made the biggest performance difference...but then again I did install it in 110 degree temps.

Over 90 degrees outside the R is just a slug without a FMIC.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts