SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put an exhaust on my S60R. I don't know too much about exhausts as to which make what sound and what not, but I want something that's not too too loud but still makes a noise, and would preferably like more turbo noise. Any recommendations would be appreciated as I am very novice when it comes to exhausts. Thanks in advance :thumbup::p

-Austin

·
2,521 Posts
Best bang for your buck? I mean Ill give you her number if you want

·
2,521 Posts
No Im kidding but as far as exhausts go, you'll get nice turbo sound from a catless downpipe, theyre cheaper but not the strongest.

IPDs exhaust is the loudest, I think it should be louder. But I think EST has a more conservative note. Not sure on prices though, I paid around $1600-1700 for my IPD (catback+downpipe) combo. I do get a really loud perpetual turbo scream around 2K RPMs, if someone knows the sound they'll snap their neck lookn

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Most will say best bang for your buck is Borla-based custom exhaust.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the OBX downpipe, and custom Borla exhaust. It sounds magnificent if I must say. And only paid $500 for everything.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Went down to Mexico for this exhaust run...setup at the time was EST 3" Catted Downpipe and EST Sport Exhaust :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
How did you only pay 500$? Hook me up :D?
Well, the OBX downpipe was $190, the muffler was $150, the piping total was $100. Then add in couple cases of beer for my friend who helped me mock it up and weld it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
More turbo sound for little money? Remove hood blanket. Remove foam sock from air filter. Consider removing weather stripping at the rear of the engine bay (to the hood). Consider removing the air filter box cover.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Roll the windows down:D

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Although not a R.

At idle:

:D

I think going to a billet 11 blade or 6+6 blade compressor wheel will add quite a bit to the sound of the turbo, but is $ and is a bit much to install. Open air filter, remove hood insulation, downpipe, and I'd say for nice DD sound go with the EST touring.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For me the best was BSR tuning with eurosports catback + downpipe and an air filter.

The sound is amazing and the 3rd gear wot boost pull is really strong !

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
More turbo sound for little money? Remove hood blanket. Remove foam sock from air filter. Consider removing weather stripping at the rear of the engine bay (to the hood). Consider removing the air filter box cover.
Don't do the last one. Everything else, go wild.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't do the last one. Everything else, go wild.
I did remove my cover off, any reasons as of why i should put it back on, ty

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
It's been proven that it significantly reduces engine performance by ingesting hot engine bay air instead of fresh cool outside air. If you want more cool air, more sound, and more performance, get this:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5679/113179-r-model-intake-kit

Unless a little noise is worth your caR being slower, get that lid back on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
290 Posts
In regards to the filter lid, I've noticed that as long as the temp is below about 50-60 F, taking it off will not make for a lack of performance. BUT anything hotter than 70 you will have a lot more noticeable hesitation. Its starting to get colder here in Michigan so my cover is coming off, I LOVE the sounds with it off! its almost too loud haha, I get so many head turners when I let off the gas and get the huge PSHHH!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also a great addition, I have the R-kelly one and it does work well. it does however bring in a lot of dirt I noticed. My air filter has a dark dirty spot right in front of the inlet for the hose. A trade off I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts