SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used '12 model with what appears to be 4 year old Yokohama Avid Ascend tires for 18" rims. I was hoping to replace with tires that make this heavy vehicle a little bit more manageable in city driving. Looking for a smooth quiet tires that do well in rain and light to med. snow as well. Does anyone have experience with General Altimax RT43? I usually favor Michelins but they can be pretty pricey. I especially favor tires that loosen the heavy steering feel.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,805 Posts
Take a look at the charts on the following link from Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

I have the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus on my XC70. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is just as good as the Pirelli and better in some categories. You couldn't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have a 2012 T6 - we replaced the Pirellis with General Altimax tires - (don't know if they are RT43 since I'm not near the car right now) - I must say they are great tires and better feel than the Pirellis - after a 4-wheel alignment our T6 just feels fantastic. We also have a set of the General Altimax Arctic - they are really good also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback. Michelin has a new model called the Primacy Touring AS which looks very promising. They advertise the quietness of this particular tire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had Altimax RT43 on the 240 I had when I bought my XC70 and thought they were quite decent, so when it came time to replace the Continentals on my XC, I went for the Altimax (18"). I must say that I've been completely happy with them. They're not AMAZING at any one thing, but then neither is the XC70. :p They're long wearing, quiet, handle as well as I expect an all season tire on a granite box to, they're good in the rain and snow, and they're way better priced than most options. I'll still go for dedicated snow tires when I get around to it, but I live in a snowy part of CT on a hill and I take the car skiing. If I only occasionally commuted in snow, I'd probably leave the Altimaxes on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts