SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best exhaust out there that can support an SR with potentially 600-700 crank hp? I already picked out the Elevate AMS intake and Elevate 3.5" DP (it's the only one larger that 3" that i've seen so far). What exhaust would go best with those? So far I was considering the Elevate sport exhaust, but I see people here leaning towards IPD.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
600-700?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
put me down for an even 1000

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My question is, if you have the Elevate DP then you'll be using the stock turbo right? Can the stock turbo even produce 600-700 HP?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My question is, if you have the Elevate DP then you'll be using the stock turbo right? Can the stock turbo even produce 600-700 HP?
Not even close! Past the 400bhp on 100 octane race gas water meth and all the other supporting mods you are blowing so much hot air at that point that it will become counter productive and introduce detonation. A modifed K24 i.e. bigger compressor wheel and clipped turbine wheel with all the above could potentailly reach 450 but you will sacrafice torque when modding a turbo like that... I am going for 500bhp from a total build using only the stock ecu and sensors, everything else will be built. I would guess the amount of money to get to the 700bhp range would cost as much as my house, alot of tuning and a setup similar to what the Russian S60RR has only a bigger turbo, injectors, and the balls to try and put it to the ground in 1st or 2nd, and pray you don't annhilate your transmission. but like others stated 4.-4.5 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious how you are going extract those ponies without a total engine build.
Of course I'm going to rebuild the engine and upgrade the pistons, connecting rods, crank and cams. I just asked KillerB what he did to his engine (check his mod in the "Notable Mods" section of the "Mods and Fixes" thread) because I want to do something similar. I just want to get the intake and exhaust components out of the way before I do the engine rebuild and turbo kit work because they are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To everyone who's asking, how I'm going to do it, I was thinking of twincharging the S60R. I haven't planned out the exact layout of the system, but i was going to put on a small centrifugal supercharger (probably ProCharger or Vortech) for the low-end boost and then a GTX3582R for the main boost. The GTX3582R can easily handle 700hp, and I want to add the supercharger to minimize turbo lag.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Why flame? What's the point? Pioneering always leads to failures and new discoveries. The Russian build is an excellent example. He didn't post any of the build failures. He posted finished product. If he'd posted what he intended on doing he would have gotten flamed.

RussianRacer has the heart and money to shoot for 700bhp then let him. If he blows something up in the process what's the problem? He won't be the first.

This is the reason I just build my caR and don't post anything. I've even had people tell me I couldn't tuck 265/35R18s cleanly under my rear fenders on the stock Pegs, or that there is no way to mount 2 big Setrab oil coolers up behind the radiator. How stupid is that? Sure it took a little thought. But they're on my caR. It's a shame to see people with no heart telling people with heart what they can't do.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
a turbo that supports that kinda power is going to be waaaaaaaaaaay harder to fit than some oil coolers in the grille.

·
Registered
501 Posts
To everyone who's asking, how I'm going to do it, I was thinking of twincharging the S60R. I haven't planned out the exact layout of the system, but i was going to put on a small centrifugal supercharger (probably ProCharger or Vortech) for the low-end boost and then a GTX3582R for the main boost. The GTX3582R can easily handle 700hp, and I want to add the supercharger to minimize turbo lag.
I'm not going to bash your idea because in the ford world compound boost setups are not that rear but I have a couple of questions:

1. If you're going for such a crazy setup why are you even bothering with off the shelf parts? I'd go 4" or 4.5" stainless steel custom all the way.

2. What are you going to do for a tune? There are already limited number of tuners for these cars? I guess you could go standalone but that only furthers my point of why are you wasting time with off the shelf parts.

3. What are you planning to do for an intake manifold and throttle body? I haven't seen it discussed around here at what point the stock throttle body becomes a real restriction but there is no way that throttle body is going to flow enough air to support 700hp

4. A procharger? Really? A centrifugal supercharger is essentially a belt driven turbo and share similar powerbands (a little different given the supercharger is belt driven) and they are not known for great low end power or torque. If you look at other cars that use a compound boost setups they use roots or twinscrew style blowers which produce gobbles of low end torque and hp. Also how are you going to mount the supercharger and are you going to do to compensate for additional load on the crank for the superchargers belt drive? A lot of engineering go into those kits to ensure they don't damage or snap the snout off the crank shaft.

There are a bunch of other questions and hurdles that come with a project of this magnitude but those are only the first that come to mind. If you're after power there are better ways to go about it and for the amount of time and money your going to spend you might as well start with a better/easier platform to modify for high horsepower.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
a turbo that supports that kinda power is going to be waaaaaaaaaaay harder to fit than some oil coolers in the grille.
You should see some of the amazing stuff a good turbo builder can do under the hood.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm not going to bash your idea because in the ford world compound boost setups are not that rear but I have a couple of questions:

1. If you're going for such a crazy setup why are you even bothering with off the shelf parts? I'd go 4" or 4.5" stainless steel custom all the way.

2. What are you going to do for a tune? There are already limited number of tuners for these cars? I guess you could go standalone but that only furthers my point of why are you wasting time with off the shelf parts.

3. What are you planning to do for an intake manifold and throttle body? I haven't seen it discussed around here at what point the stock throttle body becomes a real restriction but there is no way that throttle body is going to flow enough air to support 700hp

4. A procharger? Really? A centrifugal supercharger is essentially a belt driven turbo and share similar powerbands (a little different given the supercharger is belt driven) and they are not known for great low end power or torque. If you look at other cars that use a compound boost setups they use roots or twinscrew style blowers which produce gobbles of low end torque and hp. Also how are you going to mount the supercharger and are you going to do to compensate for additional load on the crank for the superchargers belt drive? A lot of engineering go into those kits to ensure they don't damage or snap the snout off the crank shaft.

There are a bunch of other questions and hurdles that come with a project of this magnitude but those are only the first that come to mind. If you're after power there are better ways to go about it and for the amount of time and money your going to spend you might as well start with a better/easier platform to modify for high horsepower.
Yup! And there is no way he'll avoid dealing with reality and compromise. I'm on my second intercooler and my 3rd oil cooler set up. I've also gone through a lot of trouble to get negative camber in the front suspension. It starts out an idea, then reality checks kick in, followed by compromises and then hopefully a finished product.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Yup! And there is no way he'll avoid dealing with reality and compromise. I'm on my second intercooler and my 3rd oil cooler set up. I've also gone through a lot of trouble to get negative camber in the front suspension. It starts out an idea, then reality checks kick in, followed by compromises and then hopefully a finished product.
reminder, don't forget to take some pics and show us your set up.

What's the best exhaust out there that can support an SR with potentially 600-700 crank hp? I already picked out the Elevate AMS intake and Elevate 3.5" DP (it's the only one larger that 3" that i've seen so far). What exhaust would go best with those? So far I was considering the Elevate sport exhaust, but I see people here leaning towards IPD.
honestly, with the mods you are planing I wouldn't start by getting huge AMS , you're going to need waaay more room in your engine bay than it's already there now..."so save some money and return it." I would get Ipd exhaust , but really for what you are planning to do , just have custom 3.5" althaway made for you to match your 3.5 DP...and you will need oval tubing under your differential...oh and make sure you have about 25 geez ready to attempt to mod your R and you can save substantial amount of $ if you do the work your self...and one last thing ,could you please make a thread for your mods on SS?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
on the real though; I can't believe you'd even mention "taking care of the cheaper stuff first". You have absolutely no chance of doing this build if you're not ready to drop 25-30k easy. I find it hard to believe that you think there's enough room under our hood for a 700hp set up. And to think our drivetrain is capable of delivering that power to the wheels is just nuts.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ok I'm reading all this and I'm like :facepalm:

If your asking what kind of exhaust or downpipe you need for a 700hp R then you have no idea what your doing! Please e Careful as you are going to get robbed blind buddy..

Sorry I gotta be up front! 700hp and your asking what size downpipe really? Really?:beer: Wait one more time, REALLY?:beer:

I was always told if you can't stand the heat, then stay the f--k out the kitchen..

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If you're going to invest money to high HP extraction - might as well go custom. Build a 3.5" custom exhaust, that way you can choose your own muffler/resonator (if you want them on...) and can match the port size. Any good reputable muffler shop can recommend more advice; start at 3.5 neck down to 3 (as you decrease the size pending pressure flow, the hot gasses move faster) but provided you don't have harsh turns or crush bends as that will be a factor too - stuff like that.

GL and keep us posted with your build, curious how you intend to achieve those numbers.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Bigger isn't always better. The TME cat-back exhaust system (their non-EU certified version with a "race" muffler and resonator delete) was used on an S60R that was dyno tested at 700HP. This exhaust was installed on Marco's personal S60R (Marco is the owner of MTE Tuning in Sweden). The TME cat-back exhaust is "only" 2x2" piping. It is also the same exhaust we'll be fitting to our Project S60R.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a 3" cat-back exhaust due to ground clearance issues, issues with overheating the rear DEM and excessive droning at certain RPM bands. Anything over 3.5" is overkill.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts