SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about picking up a used XC90 for my wife in the next year as her current lease is expiring.

What are the best years/models/features that I should be on the lookout for?

It seems like the V8 gets high marks for power and reliability around here...should I look at T6's or 3.2's as well, or is the V8 the clear choice?

Any key cutover years with regards to safety equipment or reliability?

Her wish list: Xenon's, Power Hatch, Push button Start, heated seats, enough power to merge into 70mph traffic, as reliable as my XC60 (e.g. very).

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Stay away from the T6.

The later models had a face lift and got painted bumpers and new taillights etc.

The first gen xc90 does not offer a power hatch or push button start.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2009 model, the XC90 received a new rear logo, featuring larger lettering with wider spaces between the "VOLVO" letters.

In 2010, all XC90 models received painted wheel arches (previously they were optional). In addition, a new, larger, circular Volvo logo appeared on the front grille. For MY 2012, new LED tail-lights became available on certain models, although entry-level models retain the previous style. For MY 2013, the XC90 received a cosmetic refresh that included standard LED daytime running lights and taillights, and exterior revisions including body color bumpers, rocker panels and silver trim replacing black plastic trim. The refreshed model went on sale during late spring 2012

·
Registered
564 Posts
The 3.2 seems bulletproof. Down on power versus the V8 but is noticeably smoother. It can get up to 70mph easy, just don't be afraid to step on it! :D

One thing I'd add is that all the facelifted 2007+ models have an AUX port, while 2009+ models had the option of a USB port + single CD, in place of the 6-CD changer. No first-gen XC90s had a power liftgate or pushbutton start (RapidRabbit, you are correct), but they all did have a split liftgate/tailgate - once you live with one, you won't go back!

Also, the facelifted models had stronger xenon lights that swivel with the steering wheel - again, once you live with them you won't go back. All the facelift models have the most up-to-date AWD system, if I'm not mistaken. Most XC90s regardless of age were fitted with heated seats anyway; there were never any safety-related options (except the blind spot cameras, which you can live without, if you properly adjust your mirrors), as all XC90s had all the safety tech standard.

All in all, get any facelift model and your criteria should be met. These are fantastic SUVs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1st Gen XC90 2.5t models seem to be most favored in my research. They were last made in 06' unfortunately and probably out of your time range.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
^^that was the T6.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The problem with the 3.2 wasn't the engine as much as the transmission, if I remember correctly.
Nope, not the transmission, certainly nothing wrong with the Asin TF80SC 6 speed mated to the 3.2

Mike

·
3,391 Posts
I've bought and sold somewhere around 35 XC90s since January 1st of this year, and have driven each and every one of them, and have had every engine and drivetrain configuration that was offered in the USA. Obviously, I prefer the V8 (thats why I bought one), but the 3.2 is also great. The 2.5 is good, but it has the 5 speed automatic which isn't as good as the 6 speed, and if the previous owner of the car didn't keep up on the oil changes well, we've seen some sludge and pcv issues on the 2.5 because of the turbocharger superheating the oil. So, in my opinion, I say V8 first, then 3.2, then 2.5, and don't buy a T6. If you look at my signature, you'll see how many trouble-free miles I have on my V8 Volvos. I'm a definite fan of them after the service they've provided me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 for '07 and up if only for the classy if minor facelift and addition of an aux port. People rave about the 2.5L but the pre facelift just look really dated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
... One thing I'd add is that all the facelifted 2007+ models have an AUX port, while 2009+ models had the option of a USB port + single CD, in place of the 6-CD changer. ...
Any idea if the 2009+ glove box mounted USB port can be retrofitted into a 2008 with cup holder AUX port and 6 disc changer (basic "performance" sound)?

Oh and more on topic, I love my 2008 V8!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised! I'd assume you'd have to swap the 6CD with the single CD unit, though – the USB and the extra CDs probably fight for the same 'slot', so to speak.

Also, all the facelifted cars have the AUX port in the cupholder, USB or not!

Edit: Here you go! This can be mounted in the glovebox or center console (though said console will no longer be removable if you choose that route).

·
Registered
475 Posts
The part numbers are in the link. Let me see if I can copy and paste.

USB and iPod® Music Interface

Op. No.: 37015

Listen to all your favourite music in the car by easily "docking" your portable music player or USB memory. USB and iPod® Music Interface enables you to connect most iPod®, USB memories and certain MP3 players. This means that you can listen to your stored favourite music directly from the car's audio system.

Thanks to the USB and iPod® Music Interface, you have a simple, easy, and safe way to access your music favorites in the car. The sound quality is superb and handling is easy with the radio controls and display. Eliminates the need to handle and bring along lots of CDs.

The music player is charged while connected to the car.

Connection and storage are optional and either the tunnel console or glove compartment can be chosen.
Performance Sound, High Performance with 6 CD changer, Premium Sound with 6 CD changer
Part. No.Description
30758238Ch 516946-
All audio levels
Part. No.Description
30758238Ch 393236-516945
+ Installation kit
Part. No.
+ Application
Part. No.Description
30677024Ch 393236-442598
+ Cable
Part. No.Description
31316394USB and iPod® cable

Choose one of the following applications:
+ Application1
Part. No.Description
30732976USB
30732978USB and iPod® Music Interface
30732977iPod®
Facts and advantages

Superb sound quality.

Supports most iPods®, certain MP3 players and most USB flash memories as well as other USB devices that can store music (not MTP, "Media Transfer Protocol").

Fully integrated functionality in the car regarding controls and display.

Charge your iPod, MP3 player or other USB device that is charged via USB (e.g. mobile phones) while you drive.

Simple and safe to operate while driving, either via the steering wheel buttons or the radio controls.

Both USB/MP3 player and an iPod® can be connected at the same time.

Random play.

Practical and concealed storage of your iPod®/MP3 player in the tunnel compartment or glove compartment, however, with tunnel installation/storage it is not possible to take out the tunnel compartment.

Compatible with all audio levels (Premium, High Performance and Performance).

Supports the following music formats: WMA and WAV (decompressed), MP3, however, not DRM protected files.

There is no problem playing music with the USB and iPod® Music Interface even if not all of the files on the USB unit are music files. The player will ignore everything but music files.

Technical data

Photo:

VCC_05781

Note!

Only USB products of the type "USB mass storage device" and file system FAT 16/32 can be used.

There are a large number of USB products on the market; some of which cannot be read by the USB and iPod® Music Interface. In these cases it is evident from the display that the connected unit cannot be played. Try with an alternative USB product instead.
Note!

The USB and iPod® cable makes it possible to plug in both a USB and an iPod® at the same time. Only one can be played at a time, though.
Note!

From and including Ch 516244-, USB will be factory installed for audio levels Premium Sound without 6 CD changer and High Performance without 6 CD changer.

Ordered according to separate procedures and downloaded using VIDA.

Sent from me!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm not sure yet exactly which part numbers I need but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it to my 2008 and if possible, I want to do the option to mount in the glove box like the 2009s that had USB OEM installed.

I know one of the cables allows USB and iPod connected at the same time. Lots of part numbers though. There are some other cool accessories on that site too.

Sent from me!

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If someone ends up doing this, they need to make a how to and put it in the stickied how to thread! I would love to add this. Plug a flash drive in and leave it! I wonder if it's compatible with the double DIN upgrade, I can't see why not.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts