SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to start a new thread on this... sorry... but we just stopped by tonight after work to 'visit' my new car and see whether they'd tried using different charging cables first (as suggested here).

First, sales manager says "Here's your vehicle!" We say "No it isn't!" They left off the tow hitch, the rear seat entertainment, and the $6K Urban styling package with running boards!! We're actually happy they forgot to order the tow hitch and rear entertainment, as we'd changed our mind (from this forum and reconsideration), but we're PISSED about them leaving off the Urban Styling Kit! (They pulled our order and found we did order it, they just didn't enter it during the order - apparently that idiot has since been fired). So we gave him options to make this right...

1) find out if Volvo can expedite us a new car outfitted as we'd ordered it because otherwise it's a 4-5 month additional delay
2) find out if anyone else has an identical car to what we ordered that will trade with them (even might consider a T6, but don't want to)
3) figure out if any components of the Urban styling kit can be added by the service department (seems it SHOULD be possible)

And on the issue of the car not accepting a charge, turns out if you look at the receptacle in the car itself, one of the pins is quite obviously not the right pin (they sent pics to Volvo to confirm, apparently one on lower right should be identical to one on lower left). They have no idea how it could have happened because it should never have passed QC or been able to be charged at port. They are sending the part highest priority expedited shipping from Sweden... great timing for an East Coast blizzard :angryfire: so likely late next week is the best we could hope for.

But that doesn't fix the fact the Urban kit is still missing, but if it's on the Volvo website as an "Accessory" shouldn't that mean it can be added post factory??

Please tell me all this will be worth it in the end...:facepalm:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The Urban kit should be able to be added. Just your dealer needs to spend the time on it. Could be some hours...

Towing hitch you can get the InvisiHitch version, looks very invisible, just a bit lower.

If the car has no other issues probably just need some patience to wait for it being fixed. And of course need to negotiate for compensation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great!

The Urban kit should be able to be added. Just your dealer needs to spend the time on it. Could be some hours...

Towing hitch you can get the InvisiHitch version, looks very invisible, just a bit lower.

If the car has no other issues probably just need some patience to wait for it being fixed. And of course need to negotiate for compensation.

SOOO happy to hear this! And I love the InvisiHitch option (though it seems they still need to develop a Volvo XC90 version?). Yes, much negotiation will be happening... especially since I also just noticed they left off the load carriers too. So we'll try to get them to throw in the VIP extended warranty and ~$260 in accessories we didn't order and dealer cost/free install for the accessories we ordered but they forgot.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wow ...

Sorry to hear of your order snafu; I'm amazed at some of the dealer issues I see posted on these forums. I only hope that somehow Volvo becomes aware of these issues - I would think from a brand perspective this is totally unacceptable (especially with the rebirth of Volvo and entering a higher priced market).

As for option #1 - maybe one of the guys who works at a dealership who is active here in the forums can provide some insight. I think even if Volvo were to get an order into their system tomorrow you'd still be a couple of months out. (Half that is just getting a vehicle on a boat out of Göteborg through the canal and to the west coast.)

Option #2 - this would probably only work if a dealer somewhere ordered a vehicle for their inventory. If you wanted a T8 I wouldn't settle for a T6. And I wouldn't settle for anything less than what you ordered - the mistake wasn't yours.

Here's a link to the urban styling kit:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482294/2016/all/Automatic

There's some installation instructions on that accessory page. (It is actually a number of different things / pieces that make up a package.)

I looked at some of it - one would think the dealer should be able to accomplish this. The bigger question is whether this package is designed to be dealer installed? (They should be able to confirm that with Volvo.)

Another idea to consider: if this package is also done at the port - and you are close to the port - have the vehicle sent back to port and have them do it. That may be more efficient ... the port may regularly do these and be more familiar overall with the vehicle. (You may get a better quality install at the port as well.)

As for the SAE J1772 connector - it is possible that in some previous insertion of a plug into the vehicle's receptacle that the receptacle's pin was damaged. The connector has a couple of (large) pins to carry the AC power, an earth ground pin and a couple for signals (so the vehicle and charging station / cable can communicate). Without the ground and signal lines charging won't be initiated.

One would guess replacing the connector is something designed to be done in the field - like from an accident or other issue to that part of the body.

I'd also think that the dealer should step up and take care of you in the interim - no matter whether it was their issue (with coding the order) or Volvo's (in building the right car for you). Maybe a loaner?

Rear seat entertainment: is this the iPad holders that connect to the driver and passenger seat headrests? If so - simple to get and install.

Lastly - see the other thread about the third party hitch - looks really impressive! The only question I would have is how the 3rd party hitch integrates with the Volvo wiring - there's definitely something the dealer has to do with car settings (probably pertaining to wiring and sensors). Would they either comp you or get the third party hitch and install it for you?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I am actually curious to see how to fit a hitch with the rear skid plate.
Msai_Kris might know if that was taken into account in the design. I seem to recall there were special instructions for the Volvo NA hitch when the rear skid plate and/or urban styling kit was installed. The rear skid plate may need to be an alternative design consideration for InvisiHitch/ExecuHitch.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
...Another idea to consider: if this package is also done at the port - and you are close to the port - have the vehicle sent back to port and have them do it. That may be more efficient ... the port may regularly do these and be more familiar overall with the vehicle. (You may get a better quality install at the port as well.)
This is a clever idea. http://www.mapquest.com/us/ca/port-hueneme-282039949 (Ventura County, CA)

·
Registered
178 Posts
In Sweden it is possible to order all the items of the different styling kits separately so that should be an easy fix!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another idea to consider: if this package is also done at the port - and you are close to the port - have the vehicle sent back to port and have them do it. That may be more efficient ... the port may regularly do these and be more familiar overall with the vehicle. (You may get a better quality install at the port as well.)

Rear seat entertainment: is this the iPad holders that connect to the driver and passenger seat headrests? If so - simple to get and install.

Lastly - see the other thread about the third party hitch - looks really impressive! The only question I would have is how the 3rd party hitch integrates with the Volvo wiring - there's definitely something the dealer has to do with car settings (probably pertaining to wiring and sensors). Would they either comp you or get the third party hitch and install it for you?

The port idea is great... it might be a couple hour drive but once upon I time I lived in Port Hueneme so I'm sure I could figure something out.

Yes, the iPad holders - I actually never really liked the look of them but my husband insisted we had to have them for the kids to charge their devices (which aren't even iPads and didn't quite fit) because otherwise they "only" have the one 12V plug... we've since had the epiphany that a 12V plug with 2 usb ports is widely available for about $4-15.

I sent an email to invisihitch - I love the look of it... also curious how it might or might not work with the rear skid plate. We don't need the wiring, I only need it for a bike rack.

I did see that ALMOST each item from the urban kit is available separately... all except the body-colored flares over the wheels/sides. When we first looked at the car we felt it looked like they left a piece off the finished product without them. But if THAT was available separately I think all I'd be going for is the body flares and running boards and then add the bumper cover.

Little did we know before we ordered the car, that Volvo dealership was under new management by a family that previously only ran Infiniti and Audi.... so the sales manager is claiming that my car is now more expensive than when they ordered it for me and because they didn't realize they had to manually go in to freeze the pricing associated with my order they're SUPPOSED to be charging me the new amount. "But don't worry, I won't be charging you for that".... uh, thanks for not making us pay for your mistake?? Thankfully the service manager seems competent and on top of things and that's who I'll be dealing with in the future!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Had to start a new thread on this... sorry... but we just stopped by tonight after work to 'visit' my new car and see whether they'd tried using different charging cables first (as suggested here).

First, sales manager says "Here's your vehicle!" We say "No it isn't!" They left off the tow hitch, the rear seat entertainment, and the $6K Urban styling package with running boards!! We're actually happy they forgot to order the tow hitch and rear entertainment, as we'd changed our mind (from this forum and reconsideration), but we're PISSED about them leaving off the Urban Styling Kit! (They pulled our order and found we did order it, they just didn't enter it during the order - apparently that idiot has since been fired). So we gave him options to make this right...

1) find out if Volvo can expedite us a new car outfitted as we'd ordered it because otherwise it's a 4-5 month additional delay
2) find out if anyone else has an identical car to what we ordered that will trade with them (even might consider a T6, but don't want to)
3) figure out if any components of the Urban styling kit can be added by the service department (seems it SHOULD be possible)
All these items can be installed at the retailer.

But that doesn't fix the fact the Urban kit is still missing, but if it's on the Volvo website as an "Accessory" shouldn't that mean it can be added post factory??

Please tell me all this will be worth it in the end...:facepalm:
The Urban Style Kit is added at the Port of Entry, not in Sweden; hence, your retailer can easily add it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think you're over-reacting quite a bit. This situation isn't perfect, but give your dealer a few days to sort out a solution. Reading your post, you'd think you'd been going through this issue for month, not less than a week. Your dealer can replace the part that wasn't quite working and can adjust the cosmetic issues to your liking, they just a little time and your patience.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're over-reacting quite a bit. This situation isn't perfect, but give your dealer a few days to sort out a solution. Reading your post, you'd think you'd been going through this issue for month, not less than a week. Your dealer can replace the part that wasn't quite working and can adjust the cosmetic issues to your liking, they just a little time and your patience.
Backstory is that we placed order in ~August, told we'd be called in a week with the firm delivery date, we gave then 2-3 weeks to call us and then we just called them and they'd "lost" our order. Then promised it would qualify for HOV lane access in California (and it does not), promised it would be delivered in mid-Dec, which was pushed to Jan 4, then unknown ETA due to hold up at port. Then there was failing the inspection - when they first told us about it they said they had no clue what was wrong or when they'd figure it out... said a technical expert would have to come visit but they had no idea when they'd be able to make it here. Then they called and said "The part has been ordered and will be here today (last Friday) and we'll deliver it within 24 hours" - - then 6 hours later "Oh, it's actually not going to get here until next week" (by the way, they admitted they have no confirmation this will actually fix it). We decide to stop by anyway to see the car - it's missing 4 things we had on the order. He wasn't even aware of 2 of the 4 items that were missing. Sales manager even told us that he doubts they can add the Urban Styling Kit, thought it was a factory part. He basically was just saying "yup, our bad, nothing we can do, if you don't want it that's fine". So yes, I had to tell him what he needed to do to rectify the situation, but only after him acting as though it's 'as is' or nothing - and now that I know Urban kit CAN be installed by them, I'm hoping that when he calls on Monday he's going to report that he's figured it out too and all is fine. Oh, and he also told us that he won't be charging us for the inflation in the various parts we'd ordered since we originally placed our order... pretty much figured when you place an order, it's for the price on the day you ordered it?? He admitted they forgot to go into the system to freeze the pricing for the order, but managed to make it sound like they were doing us a favor. So no, it's not been less than a week, it's been various issues over the past few months. I do expect that when something goes wrong, a dealer should be calling the customer to not only report the issue but ALSO report the game plan for rectifying. Unfortunately, we don't get the latter, and maybe it's because as he has told us, they've only owned this Volvo dealership for 6 months and are new to Volvo... but regardless of what brand you are representing, you should know how to get answers!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
bren,

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I do understand how you feel, buying a new car is all about emotion. After the long wait you simply expect everything goes as agreed up on. It's simply annoying when these type of failures pop up.

On the other hand, it can be solved easily. Screwed-up orders IMHO are about wrong colours or trim-levels, the kind of issues you can't solve anymore. So take a deep breath and relax because at the moment you have this fantastic car you forget these issues directly ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wow, bren213, that's pretty crappy all around.

I totally understand why Tesla wants to ditch the dealer model: so that they can control the whole process. Bad dealers can ruin a car purchase. If you have a good dealer, the dealer model can work well, but unless you really do your dealer research it's hit and miss. I'll bet that it takes a long time for bad dealers to be weeded out, from the manufacturer's POV.

The dealer I've been working with (Lawrence, in Walnut Creek, CA) was the most responsive from my first XC90 inquiries, and when we mentioned that we were getting a new XC90 to our independent Volvo mechanic (Berkeley Bob's), he said "I hope you're going to Lawrence" which cemented it. My sales guy has been great at keeping me in the loop, and they have a respected service department. There is a closer Volvo dealer, but with a much worse reputation. I posted this timeline on another thread, but assuming the delivery dates are met, this is sort of textbook on how the process should work, IMO:
— Ordered a T8 R-Design 11/14/15 with an estimated delivery in March.
— Changed order to an Inscription on 11/29/15, after sitting in an R-Design and Inscription back to back. (no schedule impact)
— I was updated with the build week info in December (building in week 4, 2016).
— I was updated last week with a port date and estimated dealer arrival date (3/5/16 and 3/11/16 respectively).
— I was updated yesterday with my VIN

This has been totally smooth, so far. In summation all I can add is a tautology: good dealers are good, while bad dealers are bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts