SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warning: Thread will be very picture intensive!

Hi All,

My name is Bobby. I am 21 years old, a college student in NEPA and just bought a 2006 S40 on August 27th. Its a 2.4 5 speed, which I like. Bought it from the original owner with 72k on it. It is flawless. Immaculate I dare say.

I am originally a truck guy
here is my 2007 GMC Duramax LBZ

(I dont abuse the smoke like most guys)

Here is my VW, which was sold in 9/2012, shortly after I completed building it from the ground up.

As you can tell, i like my cars low and trucks high, so that is the first big plan I have for the 40.

Here is her on purchase date (with my dog diesel in the front of the work truck :p)

[/URL][/IMG]

Just thought I would introduce myself, since I am planning on spending alot of time on this forum now, with my new obsession!

I am planning on posting any and all progress or problems (knock on wood) with the car. So far I am more then happy with it!!

I appreciate any consideration and help you guys can give! it seems like a much better crowd then the VW kids already :rolleyes:

:peace:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The night I got the S, I brought it home and debadged. Looks so much better!

Untitled

The following weekend I plasti-dipped the grille and lower bumper inserts, which turned out very well IMO
Untitled

Installed full exterior LEDs. (thanks to the full LED conversion thread i got all the correct ones, including the polarized 194s for the puddle lights.)
Dont have any good pics of them yet. this one is very hard to see
(PS is stock, DS is LED)
Untitled

VW Wheels test fit :rolleyes:
Untitled

Driving action on the way to school for my senior year!!

Untitled

Painted calipers "hammered" silver for a cleaner look (ill have pics of the calipers and LED conversion shortly)

As you can see this thread will be very picture intensive!

:peace:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
welcome, i hope you enjoy your car as much as some of us do and feel free to use the info of the forum for your own benefit

debadged rear trunk does looks cleaner ...looks good

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i also have a raised truck (off road oriented though not just for loks), a tacoma... and like cars low.

im contemplating air ride on the volvo but it would have to be custom...

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
Very nice previous cars, can't wait to see what happens with your S40!

It's my senior year as well... Can't wait to line up a REAL job and start having real money to spend on my car...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome, i hope you enjoy your car as much as some of us do and feel free to use the info of the forum for your own benefit

debadged rear trunk does looks cleaner ...looks good
Thanks! So far I am really enjoying it! Can't wait to start doing more to it

i also have a raised truck (off road oriented though not just for loks), a tacoma... and like cars low.

im contemplating air ride on the volvo but it would have to be custom...

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.
Yea I race motocross on a professional level and alot of the races get rained out up here, after getting stuck numerous times I decided to lift my GM and put some bigger tires on it to help me at the races. Not all for looks :) ..
And I would LOVE to bag this car, just don't have the funds right now. I starting piecing air ride together for my VW, but only have the management together for it.

Very nice previous cars, can't wait to see what happens with your S40!

It's my senior year as well... Can't wait to line up a REAL job and start having real money to spend on my car...
Thanks! its a big difference hopping into the truck after driving the VW or S around lol. And I hear you about getting the heck out of school and start making some money!! haha can't wait, just hope I can get a decent job with my Business Management/Human resource management degree in this economy.
I've wathced alot of your DIY videos, they're great!!

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
I completely hear you about the truck/car thing. The S40 is my car, but I'm still living at home while I finish up school. My dad has a lifted Taco that feels so big and laggy compared to the T5. I try to avoid driving anything but my own car...

Thanks for the compliment about the videos. I have some more "in depth" videos on the way; hopefully they can help you out at some point!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely hear you about the truck/car thing. The S40 is my car, but I'm still living at home while I finish up school. My dad has a lifted Taco that feels so big and laggy compared to the T5. I try to avoid driving anything but my own car...

Thanks for the compliment about the videos. I have some more "in depth" videos on the way; hopefully they can help you out at some point!
yea the trucks feel like tanks once you get out of these cars. And yea I used your video to pop off my grille and bumper grilles when I painted them! What new videos do you have coming out? What will you be doing?

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
What new videos do you have coming out? What will you be doing?
A few people have asked about aiming the headlights, so that'll be a short vid.

I have more work on the body kit, so I'll also be posting videos on removal of the front and back trim pieces, as well as a video on door card removal and disconnecting the door releases.

I may even do tail light removal... We'll see!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
our builds might be similar... here's my truck, also debadged (I like the clean looks) and color matched bumpers/sliders
Very Nice! I do alot of towing so I love that diesel power, but i love that bumper u got!
Hello from one VW owner to another! :)

I've seen your MkIV on the 'tex and judging by how it looks, I anticipate your S40 will look very nice...
Thanks! yes I am hoping that it comes out just as, if not nicer then the golf did. Last year of college though means very low funds, so it'll be a slower build. I am trying to go low first though.

I havent really been able to get a strait answer concerning HIDs.. The dealerships around my house dont really want to do it, and they can't tell me how much it'll cost until its done.. not even a rough estimate :confused: ??

My question being, if i get the correct HID kit, the BOW harness, and turn off my DRLs while driving during the day, can I pull off the HIDs without getting the DRLs de activated?
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is your VW on air suspension?

are the VW wheels on the volvo now??

Looks really good!!!!
Thanks! The vw is static, that was actually my winter/fall ride height in the pictures. In summer the ride height was about 1/4-1/2" lower, especially in the front.

I was working on the Vw and had the wheel off, so i rolled it next to the volvo for a little teaser haha. I got a set of wheels in mind for the volvo already tho :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your test fit is looking good. Can't wait to see those wheels on the car. Judging from your VW, I think your Volvo is headed in the right direction!:D
Unfortunately, they wont work on the Volvo, the offset it not even close, and they are 10" wide. That would be bad ass if I could get them mounted though :)

Heres the Vw when I bought it though.. Alot of time and effort went into that car.

I did complete the LED conversion, I will get pictures on here asap!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Offset wouldnt even matter, the bolt pattern is not match. However there has been a few that have done 10wides, lots of fender rolling and pulling required tho, looked sweet.
The offsets would matter if I needed to get spacers, which I would have to do because they cant be re-drilled. I would love to see a 40 with 10 in wheels! send me links!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A small update/finally got around to taking pictures.

Did the smoked bulb from miller motoring in the headlights, also doing a set in my tail lights very soon
Before:
Untitled

After:
Untitled

I am happy with the outcome, now I only have to VHT the orange reflector, but thats another project.

Here's some crappy pictures of the LEDs. My apartment complex up here at school is lit up pretty well, so you can get the full effect of the LEDs, but here you go:

Untitled
(LEDs also in the running lights behind the orange reflector)

Untitled

yes that is my license plate # :eek:

Interior shot which does NO justification to how bright the LEDs are.

Untitled

Ordered all the LEDs from super bright LED, and they are awesome. Very high quality, great customer service (because i had a order issue), and good prices for a high quality item.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts