SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I went up my driveway 3 weeks ago and felt a little bump, didn't think much of it as sometimes my Miata actually rests on the body and I have to go outside and push it down so the wheels touch...

Who was to think that I would bend my driveshaft from going up a very slight driveway? I do a google search for bent S60 driveshaft and I come across several forums (including this which I was registered) that tell horror tales about bending their driveshafts from something so simple and common.

I call my Volvo dealer and tell them what happenned, they tell me to bring the car in to the dealership and then lay down a $3000+ repair bill NOT covered under warranty AND charge me a $150 diagnostic fee when the car's under warranty and I specifically told them I bent my driveshaft, what can you do for me? What do you diagnose if I'm telling you whats wrong?

I call Volvo of North America, write them a letter and they call me back to tell me it was outside influence, sorry, can't help you. I turn back and show them links to the posts about other people with the same issue, my service manager told me another customer did that pulling into the dealerships parking lot, and they say so what!

I asked them if I declined to fix it at the dealer and spend $300 and get the shaft re-tubed myself would they not void related parts warranty? They say absolutely not as well... its your fault.

I mention to them that Volvo issued a TNN that allows customer to remove this bracket upon request because of fear that it can cause unneccessary damage to their vehicle and that obviously they issued this because there is a slight risk? No budging.

The bottom line is that this is a safety hazard. I actually hit my head on the celing when this occured, this bracket rendered my car undriveable and they want nothing to do with me.

Everyone that's had this issue, please post in here, and if anyone's a lawyer that wants to take on some sort of class action suit or has advice telling us how stupid we are for trying to stand up to the man, feel free. I'm not going down without a fight. I've been going up my driveway with all my Volvos, my roadster miata is so tiny, it floats and nothing got damaged and my All Wheel Drive, Super Expensive, Super Safe Volvo is not driveable after going up a normal driveway!

Lets hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: Bent Drive shaft, Who's had one? Who wants to sue Volvo about this bracket? (sdigital)

Sorry about your luck man that why the first thing everyone tells the new R owner is to remove that bracket.There are two seperate guys parting SR's in the classifieds you can probably pick one up from them and put on yourself or have it installed and save some money FWIW.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Bent Drive shaft, Who's had one? Who wants to sue Volvo about this bracket? (volvosince16)

Yeah, I only read what affected me, I never looked at random advice thinking that people are a little eccentric. I had my driveshaft re-tubed for $300 with a thicker gauge steel. I was considering putting on an aftermarket exhaust while I had the car disassembled but it was too expensive and didn't want warranty issues for just 5hp.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You damaged the undercarriage of your car on your own driveway (a driveway that so happens to scrape another one of your cars) and now you want Volvo to pay for it? Should they? I mean, you damaged your own car. Not to mention that you took your car to a dealership so they could look at your car on their time, and then you are up in arms about having to pay them? If I take any car into any dealership and tell them to diagnose something, and the problem is not covered under warranty, I would know that they are clearly going to charge me a fee.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Paysts)

You make a good point looking at it on the surface but you're missing 2 key elements:

1: The miata is so small and light that you can pick it up and place it somewhere with another friend, it gets stuck in any incline... you missed the fact I said its a NORMAL incline, which I go up every day with other cars INCLUDING the miata that gets stuck. The difference is the Miata has no protruding bracket to get pushed into the exhaust! Neither does any other car! Thats the safety hazard.

2: If I bring my broken ANYTHING to your shop and ask for an estimate (which you will not give over the phone), and I decline, I owe you nothing unless you specifically state there is a fee for an estimate, especially if the car is covered under warranty. Furthermore, the car was in the shop because they shorted out the rear window motor last time I was there, so it had to go into the shop anyway for a warranty repair. I just wanted a price or to know if it was covered under warranty.

Anyone actually bent their driveshaft???

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: (sdigital)

I know it's happened before. Do a google search (top right buton) and see what you can find. I'd post some links for you but I'm on my cell and it gets tricky for me. I can see both sides of your case. You might want to try to find another dealer in your area that might be more willing to work with you. If that fails, as mentioned above, look in the classifieds and grab a drive shaft from one of the guys parting out there R's.

Either way, good luck.

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Re: Bent Drive shaft, Who's had one? Who wants to sue Volvo about this bracket? (sdigital)

This bracket issue was something discovered early on with some of the first P2 R owners back in late 2003. Back then, folks were concerned about it hanging too low and then, if I recall, some rubbed ended marked on the shaft raising concerns . Takspeed start to offer a safety cable replacement option:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sdigital »
You make a good point looking at it on the surface but you're missing 2 key elements:

Anyone actually bent their driveshaft???

I think YOU are missing the point.
You admitted that you have already read about this but thought it would not pertain to you.
If EVERYONE here says the first thing to do is to remove the bracket and you ignored this warning, the onus is on YOU.

(Many have bent their driveshafts
Some dealers have repaired this under goodwill on cars they have sold, some do not.
Some have split the price to fix and replace it).

There are a couple of R's being parted out here, try to buy whatever you need

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

I think YOU are missing the point.
You admitted that you have already read about this but thought it would not pertain to you.
If EVERYONE here says the first thing to do is to remove the bracket and you ignored this warning, the onus is on YOU.

(Many have bent their driveshafts
Some dealers have repaired this under goodwill on cars they have sold, some do not.
Some have split the price to fix and replace it).

There are a couple of R's being parted out here, try to buy whatever you need

Game. Set. Match.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
At the end of the day, the bracket is a huge hazard and there is no reason it should remain on any of the Rs on the road.
For whatever reason, Volvo wants to play Naive so it means that we must take it into our own hands which means removing that thing ASAP.

Sorry to hear about that...I would be furious too. Owning this car requires us to be very cognizant of these things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (MancUnited1)

I never said I read it before, I just don't bother reading every thread. The 'onus' still doesn't explain why Volvo doesn't want to take responsibility for this safety hazard. I've already re-tubed my shaft. Why is everyone talking about this mod but no one else other than me actually experienced the problem so far?

To be honest with you, I almost sold my Volvo after this happenned because I was so disgusted that something so simple as going up my driveway could do such damage. I guess the others actually went thru and they're no longer on the forums?? I've been a Volvo owner since 2000 on my 3rd right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As soon as I picked up my car I looked at the bracket and it was already bent so I pulled it off. What's the point of the Takspeed cable? I thought the bracket was only there to move the car along down the assembly line during production? If the exhaust is that beat that it hangs down then I figure I've got other problems and I don't see how a metal cable is going to do anything for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: (ollie)

JRL thinks it is used for that - I dont agree.

Its situated there to stop the drive shaft dropping after failure, inbedding in the ground and then entering the passanger cabin. Its a "safety" feature that causes more harm than good. Quite often used in racing applications. The metal cable is a more suitable replacement but for most of us not really necessary.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (ollie)

Quote, originally posted by ollie »
What's the point of the Takspeed cable?

Its useless don't bother with it. The original purpose of the cable was to make it a replacement for the once unknown need for the bracket. Now its known that the bracket is completely useless, so no need for either.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (58ford)

Quote, originally posted by 58ford »

Its situated there to stop the drive shaft dropping after failure, inbedding in the ground and then entering the passanger cabin. Its a "safety" feature that causes more harm than good. Quite often used in racing applications. The metal cable is a more suitable replacement but for most of us not really necessary.

Several people have thought of this claim, but I have never heard it substantiated.

I believe this is not the case, otherwise why would Volvo allow it to be removed completely at the customer's request?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
At the end of the day, the bracket is a huge hazard and there is no reason it should remain on any of the Rs on the road.

Make that, any AWD Volvo. They all have them, it's just a more common catastrophe on the R since it sits lower. I took the same bracket off my sister's S80 AWD just to be safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If every other manufacturer doesn't put a flimsy bracket under the driveshaft then why does Volvo? Do they think it is going to fail without any notice? Any way each and every owner is well served for spend the 5 minutes it takes to remove this bracket. I thank the board for bringing this to my attention!

·
Registered
50 Posts

I seem to remember someone sharing a story on this forum about this happening to their car one evening while out with friends. As I recall, it was a humorous story involving cross-dressing exotic dancers, somewhere in Georgia I think, maybe around Atlanta. They transitioning in or out of the parking lot and bent the bracket, driving everything between the bracket and the undercarriage together... I think that guy was pretty unhappy too. He had a good sense of humor. That'll get you through a lot of bad times. I had my bracket removed when I had the JRL mod. done following three episodes of rain squeeeeeel.
It's great you were able to get the shaft redone for a fraction of what the stealer was suggesting.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (dbdent 04 v70r)

$300? Must have gone over next to Shea?

If you want to gripe in person, we're having a little shindig on LI this Saturday - check the regionals if you're interested.

Sucks about the driveshaft and the dealer - we can all relate unfortunately

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (58ford)

Quote, originally posted by 58ford »

You don't have to agree at all but this IS what it's used for.
Since Volvo told me this I have no reason to call them liars and when they say remove it, it's not necessary I tend to believe them not anyone else's assumptions.
Trust me, that's all its for, no other reason for it to be there!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts