SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an issue that's developed on my v50 T5 auto , that it didn't have when I bought it a few years ago. So here it is.......When I start my car in the morning it sounds like my belts are shot and slipping. It squeaks loud enough that I can hear it half way down my block. My belts are new and dealer said it's moisture and totally normal although it does it when we haven't had rain for days so I can't understand where the moisture is coming from. It does stop once the car reaches normal operating temps or if I rev the engine. I even called Volvo and they confirmed this is normal. I find it hard to believe this is acceptable but they also said it's normal for the T-5 engine to shake the whole car between 2000-2100 rpms so I'm used to hearing crazy statements from Volvo. Anyone else experience this? I'm at my end with this car as the're are too many quirky issues that are deemed normal.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Our '95 850 T5-R did the same thing. Belts squeaked for a little while until warm. Nothing bad ever came of it...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have that happen on several vehicle that I have owned. What I was told to do, and did was while the car was running spray some WD 40 on the belt and it will quiet right down, and no it doesn't cause any belt slippage. Works perfectly on even old style fan belts.

Only concern is to make sure you spray on the downward side of the belt. If you spray it on the upward rotation side, you will get oil mist in your face.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It is recommended to change Accessory Belts early some have actually had those Break earlier then expected as there is a lot of Engine Bay Heat !

Watch how much Tension is on the Belts , I don't think You want to run Tension so low it's slipping . Check to see if Belt has much Glazing or Gloss - If So
Get New Belts NOW . 1 member had His broken accessory Belts get all balled up inside the Timing Belt - Real Costly !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer said the replaced a seal but im not sure which one it was. I was told its not the belts. Im going to ask which one was replaced when i go back there for a starter issue that they cant figure out either. Sigh... i guess i should be grateful its not as bad as the VW was.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Remember to write it all down & Track each Item , also have the Detail on Paper work - as they might write it up as something all together different .

It's Vehicle History Plus + Time !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts