SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am considering a T8 and never had a hybrid so have a few basic questions:

1)Can I plug it into a regular wall socket in my garage?

2)Would you recommend installing some kind of higher power charging thing? What does that typically cost?

3)I see office buildings and parking garages with special spots for electric vehicles, are the chargers now standard so that they'll all work on the t8?

4)On avg, how much cheaper is driving on electric vs gas? (I get there aren't emissions, just wondering if now my electric bill will skyrocket)

5)Any handling differences with all the weight?

6)Any safety concerns from carrying all the batteries?

7)In the US, I read it qualifies for about $5K in tax credit - is that true or is there an income limit on that?

8)Given how fast electric technology is evolving, do people expect the depreciation on the T8 to be the same, slower or faster than a T6?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

1)Can I plug it into a regular wall socket in my garage?

2)Would you recommend installing some kind of higher power charging thing? What does that typically cost?

3)I see office buildings and parking garages with special spots for electric vehicles, are the chargers now standard so that they'll all work on the t8?

4)On avg, how much cheaper is driving on electric vs gas? (I get there aren't emissions, just wondering if now my electric bill will skyrocket)

5)Any handling differences with all the weight?

6)Any safety concerns from carrying all the batteries?

7)In the US, I read it qualifies for about $5K in tax credit - is that true or is there an income limit on that?

8)Given how fast electric technology is evolving, do people expect the depreciation on the T8 to be the same, slower or faster than a T6?

Thanks so much!
1. Yes, but it will vary by market. If you are in the US, you are to receive an AeroEnvironment dual charger (110/120 - 220/240).
2. Yes, reportedly, a 220/240 version can charge fully recharge you battery in 2.5 hrs. v. 7 hrs. on 110/120v. You don't need the super high capacity charger since the XC90 has a limiter. If you want to future proof your investment, you can go up a notch. Personally, I will keep the AeroEnvironment in my car so it will always be there, but it is purely optional. Both AeroEnvironment and ClipperCreek have home mounted versions. Cost ranges from $400-$650 depending on voltage, capacity and plug type. I bought the ClipperCreek HCP-40. I installed a dedicated 240v service at $500. Check with your state or utility for any special programs, reduced rates, et al.Check with your electrician so that you buy the correct model that complies with local code. Some local codes may require or your electrician may recommend a specific type of plug for 240 such as a NEMA 15-50.
3. ... Don't know the answer for sure. Yes, pretty standard with non-Teslas and Teslas having their own respective standard. In US, XC90 uses the common standard although I do not remember the plug type.
4. Some have estimated a maximum recharge is about a $1 per day if you charge daily. The cost will vary depending if you peak or offpeak rates. Skyrocket? No, but increased some ($30/mo) yes. Local rates vary wildly so check with your utility.
5. No experience yet
6. Not really, except don't drive through standing water in a flooded roadway. Even though the system is sealed, it is a bad idea anyway.
7. Yes, it is true in US.It is about $4600 from what GrecianVolvo and others have said. Check out other threads on this topic. There may be an income level or AMT where this could be reduced or eliminated. I am not a qualified tax professional.
8. Not qualified to answer. There tax-related depreciation and market-related depreciation. There have been discussions on other threads related to Depreciation and residuals for leases - likely geared towards the T6. FWIW, I hope to keep my T8 for 10+ years upgraded with an increased battery capacity upgrade if available on the backend.

·
Registered
496 Posts
1) - 4): I'm living in Europe so that's not comparable. I've a wall mounted charger and need about maximal 2,5 hours at 230 Volt / 13 Amp.
5) No, the difference is only very slightly. The weight is very balanced in the T8 with the batteries between the passengers and the GIS in form and the e-motor in the back. Not comparable with other hybrids I drove, all lacking a heavy tail.
6) No, the batteries are located at the safest place possible, the tunnel between the passengers. Water is no issue, while they are completely water sealed, incl. the connections.
7) 8) Differently in almost individual European country ;-)

·
Registered
572 Posts
6. Not really, except don't drive through standing water in a flood or rainstorm. You're carrying high voltage not just 12-volt (US) anymore.
No no no no no. Everything is weather proofed, obviously. You can fully expect to be able to drive your car in the rain.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
No no no no no. Everything is weather proofed, obviously. You can fully expect to be able to drive your car in the rain.
Thanks. I adjusted my #6 above. I meant flooded roadways from a heavy rainstorm. - it is a bad idea even on a bicycle.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The T8 is about 10% heavier than the T6, but the extra weight is below the center of gravity and so likely to improve handling if anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually one more if you don't mind -

Are you guys averaging around 35 mpg for times when you are not using purely electric? Am wondering what the effective 'hybrid' mpg would be?

Conradi think you mentioned 35 with the battery down, but wasn't sure if that is the same thing as 'hybrid' with the battery charged?

·
Registered
496 Posts
The 35 mpg was with empty battery, doing motorway, heavy traffic and driving in-town.

When I normally 'plan' a longer distance route, e.g. beyond battery range, I'll drive on Pure/Hybrid in the city and switch to Save-mode on the motorway to save the battery for the moment I leave the motorway again. In that case I'll have on the motorway a petrol fuel consumption of about 40,5 mpg at 120 km/h (75 mph). City drive is on the battery.

Average fuel consumption until now, 745 m, is 42,5 mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. Yes, but it will vary by market. If you are in the US, you are to receive an AeroEnvironment dual charger (110/120 - 220/240).
2. Yes, reportedly, a 220/240 version can charge fully recharge you battery in 2.5 hrs. v. 7 hrs. on 110/120v. You don't need the super high capacity charger since the XC90 has a limiter. If you want to future proof your investment, you can go up a notch. Personally, I will keep the AeroEnvironment in my car so it will always be there, but it is purely optional. Both AeroEnvironment and ClipperCreek have home mounted versions. Cost ranges from $400-$650 depending on voltage, capacity and plug type. I bought the ClipperCreek HCP-40. I installed a dedicated 240v service at $500. Check with your state or utility for any special programs, reduced rates, et al.Check with your electrician so that you buy the correct model that complies with local code. Some local codes may require or your electrician may recommend a specific type of plug for 240 such as a NEMA 15-50.
3. ... Don't know the answer for sure. Yes, pretty standard with non-Teslas and Teslas having their own respective standard. In US, XC90 uses the common standard although I do not remember the plug type.
4. Some have estimated a maximum recharge is about a $1 per day if you charge daily. The cost will vary depending if you peak or offpeak rates. Skyrocket? No, but increased some ($30/mo) yes. Local rates vary wildly so check with your utility.
5. No experience yet
6. Not really, except don't drive through standing water in a flooded roadway. Even though the system is sealed, it is a bad idea anyway.
7. Yes, it is true in US.It is about $4600 from what GrecianVolvo and others have said. Check out other threads on this topic. There may be an income level or AMT where this could be reduced or eliminated. I am not a qualified tax professional.
8. Not qualified to answer. There tax-related depreciation and market-related depreciation. There have been discussions on other threads related to Depreciation and residuals for leases - likely geared towards the T6. FWIW, I hope to keep my T8 for 10+ years upgraded with an increased battery capacity upgrade if available on the backend.
thats really great info thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Last weekend we had a dedicated line placed off our electrical panel in the garage - it was $300 for the plug (NEMA 14-50), wiring and 50A breaker. I know that we will not be able to charge at 50A, but this way it can handle just about anything. Of course the plug can be changed to anything needed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One thing all of the small plug-in Hybrids have in common is that you can comfortably charge overnight on a regular (U.S.A.) 110 outlet. The most common usage pattern with Volt owners (I used to own one) seemed to be:

1. Charge at home overnight
2. Drive to work/school/errands the next day until charge depletes and car switches to gas
3. Drive the rest of the day on gas
4. Repeat with step 1

While SOME are lucky enough to have chargers at work, that's not most of us and even though you could charge on 110 at work it can be a real hassle. First, you have to get your work/office complex/etc. to agree to let you charge and possibly install an outlet or charger, then you have to deal with the politics (i.e. "Why does Billy get free juice...the company needs to buy gas for my car, etc", "people are going to trip over that charge cord, it is a safety hazard", <insert Obama reference>, blah, blah, blah).

Charging while you are "out and about" is usually hit or miss in terms of finding a charger (esp one that isn't occupied, broken, etc,) and the charge time generally means it isn't worth it. I used to plug my Volt in when I visited my parents on the other side of town, but after a few times messing with extension cords, moving cars around to get close to an outlet, and realizing the outlet I was plugging into (in their house with 5 year old wiring) was getting awfully hot, I just blew it off. It just wasn't worth the hassle. That's really the beauty of plug-in hybrids - charge and home and don't worry about it after that.

I'll reiterate what Gary said with regard to electric costs - they vary wildly. Here in Texas we have deregulation and I pay less than 8 cents a kw. I ASSUMED all of Texas was similar, but a discussion via the Interweb on this forum revealed another area in the state where rates were more than double that. In my Volt, I got about 35 miles of range on about 12.5 kw of juice...so that was $1 to drive 35 miles. The gas engine actually got 35 mpg when it was running so gas would have to drop BELOW $1/gal for gas to be "cheaper" that electric....FOR ME. Some states (I am looking at you California) have INSANE electric rates so if someone is paying 0.30 a kw then suddenly they pay $3.75 to drive that same 35 miles that I pay a dollar for. Gas could actually be CHEAPER to use daily than electric - ouch. Obviously, the T8 range and mpg numbers will be lower than the Volt but the calculations are the same. In short - check your electric bill and understand how much you pay and if there are usage tiers (i.e. use more / pay more or use more / pay less, etc.).

Finally, with regard to depreciation, Volvos typically don't do quite as well as other luxury makes when it comes to depreciation to begin with. Beyond that, the more heavily "loaded" a car is, the greater the depreciation percentage typically (true for all makes) with a few exceptions for unusually rare models. Now add in the whole "electric" thing and well, that tech is indeed moving a bit faster (not "cell phone" fast, but faster) so you get some bonus depreciation there. With regard to the T8 explicitly, their play isn't just "green/ECO" through with the T8 - it is a also a "power/top of the line" play so even if range improves, etc. it will still always be the top of the line model, with the most power, etc. Plus, you know, crystal shift knob...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'll reiterate what Gary said with regard to electric costs - they vary wildly. Here in Texas we have deregulation and I pay less than 8 cents a kw. I ASSUMED all of Texas was similar, but a discussion via the Interweb on this forum revealed another area in the state where rates were more than double that.
In Texas, check out the BlueDot Rate Optimizer - takes your current usage and searches against published rates in Texas for a better deal. I just cut my rate down to 4.7 cents at >1000kwh and 7.4 cents <1000kwh.

One thing to mention is that many plans (at least in Texas) are starting to do free night and weekend electricity when unused power would be wasted. Would be perfect for someone who can charge an EV with some sort of timer to start at 8pm (when many plans kick on).

·
Registered
837 Posts
In Texas, check out the BlueDot Rate Optimizer - takes your current usage and searches against published rates in Texas for a better deal. I just cut my rate down to 4.7 cents at >1000kwh and 7.4 cents <1000kwh.

One thing to mention is that many plans (at least in Texas) are starting to do free night and weekend electricity when unused power would be wasted. Would be perfect for someone who can charge an EV with some sort of timer to start at 8pm (when many plans kick on).
Thanks for the tip! I had used www.powertochoose.org of course, but came to find out that some areas (Austin areas as an example) end up in Co-ops without any "power to choose" :(

Indeed, Austin is like California in that you get penalized for using MORE power (unlike us here in DFW where it gets cheaper the more you use!).

Austin example:
https://austinenergy.com/wps/portal/ae/rates/residential-rates/residential-electric-rates-and-line-items/!ut/p/a1/rZNdT8IwFIZ_ixdclp7R1RXv5iR8GJiRD2E3pisdVLdublXEX2-B6IWCYEKTpml73jc9z-nBEZ7iSPM3teBG5Zqnm310-eh0qOtcg9NjwZCAH_TpPWWu0wZiA2Y2ABqs0Qmg0Q1b4Q10J-HED28DaAdkq_--bg9IC3w26oYAdw6MvC_9geHDMf0DjnAktCnMEs-4rMFmltzIyi6yUnOpjeIp2nMkUylMqcTuDnE9R6nSEikjs2pjWwg1x7OmAOF5NEaCNilyaUIRZ-Agl3nNJBHNmEjnJ4bf7zyCcZvGEZC7gMOkeiew9nVM2AJHpUxkKcv6a2lrvDSmqK5qUIPValXf0qjz18pYGFqWi3Vd5FkN9smXeWXw9LAKzywX72DibQcP_wn6b0MG5za8PLchObNh6P7bsHdCUzfKftC3lS64WSKlkxxPT-8dq1dPLy-Rb1sz10a-209yzt4ssvE4Y2SNnpO-oTEt3j5GSZY9DgaIx2xN0sXFxSdSGf6V/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, off peak charging is a pretty common game in the electric vehicle world. It's also one of the ways Tesla will maintain a large market for its energy storage Powerwalls, which are more or less a standalone version of the car's battery. Charge it overnight when electricity is cheap, then run your house off of it during the day.

If you have solar to charge it during the day instead, you can theoretically move off the grid almost entirely.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yes, off peak charging is a pretty common game in the electric vehicle world. It's also one of the ways Tesla will maintain a large market for its energy storage Powerwalls, which are more or less a standalone version of the car's battery. Charge it overnight when electricity is cheap, then run your house off of it during the day.

If you have solar to charge it during the day instead, you can theoretically move off the grid almost entirely.
Makes sense and helps explain how Tesla sold all of the initial power banks so quickly.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Checking Kelly's blue book estimate for my 2009 Toyota Hybrid Higlander vs the non-hybrid there is a $3,000 to $4,000 premium for the hybrid. (note the 2009 XC90 has about the same value as the non-hybrid Highlander)

I would expect the depreciation rate on an XC90 T8 to be less than the XC90 T6, but the total depreciation to be more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts