SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been tolerating a problem in my S80 for about a year now. The passenger seat in my 2004 S80, when pushed forward or backward using the buttons on the chair, only move on one side. This causes the seat to be either facing left, or facing right. Since it's on the passenger side, I've put it as close to the middle as I can, and told my passengers not to adjust it. I've consulted a neighbor who's into cars, and he says the problem might be in the motor. It moves in every other way perfectly, but it can not go forward or backward, it just rotates on the right side, causing the chair to not be straight. I want to finally get this fixed and would appreciate any feedback! I am willing to take it to the dealership, but I would prefer fixing it on my own if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
First, don't take it to a dealership! Second, if the seat is skewing then obviously there's something wrong with the track or drive. A common shaft with a gear on each end is the typical arrangement. Take a look at this:

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fus...RDWARE&Title=Volvo-S80-2.5T-L5-2.5- Liter-GAS

As you can see, items 7,8, &9 govern the seat travel -2 shafts and a motor.. Probably not the motor, so somehow one of the shafts has failed or is not being driven by the motor.

Disconnect the battery (so you don't trigger an airbag warning) and unbolt and remove the seat, should be fairly straightforward though I haven't done it on this particular car yet, and the problem will become apparent. I would go to car-part.com and find the components I need from a salvage yard.

If you want new parts, write down the Volvo number (399xxxxxxx) and start Googling.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts