SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's dream car is the 2005 xc90. Most people dream about Ferraris or Mustangs or Teslas. I happen to like Chevelles.

I am concerned with the transmissions torque capacity being awfully close to the engine's torque output. Is there anyway to beef the tranny up to give it a fighting chance?

Expense is not an issue, I'm not concerned about resale value of the car. This is her end all be all car. It'll eventually have fresh paint and interior etc. In a way I'll be restoring it for her, as someone would do a classic.

I dont value the car's worth moneywise. Its worth will be valued in the years of enjoyment she'll recieve from it.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just don't buy the T6 model with GM tranny. That leaves Aisin transmissions which needn't be "beefed" up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
From what I've seen the weakness of the Volvo TF-80SC is 1) the valvebody and 2) the Volvo software.

If money is not an issue, I'd do a complete ATF change with a synthetic like Redline or Amsoil, swap the valvebody for a reman'ed one upfront, and add a spin on oil filter to a cooler line. You could also add an aux. thermostat controlled cooler with bypass, and abandon the stock ATF heater in the radiator completely. My XC90 is still stock; I am getting set to do a complete ATF change thru the upper cooler hose, but my former S60R had the same trans, and I did a full fluid change to Amsoil, and added an inline ATF filter at 80K. Sold it (unfortunately; I LOVED that car) 23K later still working beautifully.

PS not pimping Amsoil, I just prefer synth especially for stuff that doesn't get changed often. But I'm not sure what I will use this time around, might still stick with a synth because it might help reduce valvebody wear (synth usually has much higher film strength, helps with compromised designs). Might go with Mobil or Redline, depending on whats at the store here. JMO

I'm no expert but 2005 + TF-80SC = V8 AFAIK, if so be aware there was some issue with the cams on the V8 that year.

GL, I love mine, it really is greater than the sum of its parts.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well, does it have to be a 2005 XC90, a 2005 in particular? Admittedly the prices are probably better on the older model years but if you're that serious about the car, why not save up and get a newer one? Why?

1) The T6 engine had a crappy GM four speed gearbox prone to breaking. Some reports it lasting since it was mostly faulty in early S80s but it's not a good gearbox and it's only four speed anyway.
2) If you're going for a V8 the MY05 (model year) was the first to receive the V8 and the first 4000 or so V8's had some issue with a counter balance shaft. I don't know the details too well but I'd make very sure not to get one of the affected ones just in case something would happen.
3) Newer model years are both more reliable as well as more mechanically safe. The TF80 gearbox used in the V8's for instance got significantly quicker from MY11-12 or so and onwards. But I think a MY07 is heaps better than a MY06 for instance since the earliest TF80's used a lot of slipping compared to newer ones.
4) styling. Newer ones look heaps better but that's a matter of taste. I still do like the early XC90s because I had a soft spot for them when they were new but all the plastic makes it look a bit dated in comparison to the newer ones. You can do a lot of facelifting yourself of course but if you're as serious as to repaint it I'd just get a newer one with a decent condition paint job and keep it that good. I think original paint is definitely a factor if you're going to keep it for a long time. Original paint job matters when it becomes a real classic the way early 240's are becoming a bit sought after and rare.

If I were you I'd look for a 2007 XC90 or newer. It's a pretty big and heavy car though that I have little experience with myself. I do know a previous owner of a 2.5T XC90 who thought it was way too slow for its size. T6 has a sh!t gearbox and diesels, well don't get me started. 3.2 is nice but still nothing compared to a V8. I don't think the 3.2 would get any much better mileage anyway, unless they ever made FWD 3.2's for the XC90 as well?

Edit: look up itwontstopsnowins XC90. It more or less looks like a 2013-2014 but I think it's from 2009-2010 sometime. The V8 was only available until 2010 or so anyway and I personally think you'll bond more with a car if you put some work on it yourself such as facelifting it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey Schmoyoho, do you know if they ever offered a manual trans with the V8 in EU? No manuals at all in the US, I know they were at least offered on the diesel.

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
VIDA says no for M66AWD plus B8444S regardless as to location (INT/EU/NA).

M66AWD was offered INT for both the diesels (D5244T4, T5 ) up thru MY 2010 then only diesel D5244T4 thru MY 2011.

M66AWD was offered INT for gas 5 cylinder (B5452T4) up thru MY 2007.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The V8 was only ever offered with the AW-TF80 SC transmission, six speed. I honestly sort of thought the XC90 wasn't offered with manuals since I've more or less never seen one, or heard of one. I ran a search on what you could call a swedish craigslist and I got about 20-25 hits on manual XC90s and 300+ automatics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts