SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been giving a lot of thought to our 240 project car and I think I've ruled out doing an engine swap. The car's at 212,000 miles and I'd kind of like to keep it original.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what others out there have seen that can be done to these NA motors to beef them up a bit power wise.

We've already gotten a cam and adjustable cam gear from IPD and will be covering that soon. What else would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
33 Posts
custom made intake with cone filter
MSD ignition system
Venom PCM
Venom AFM upgrade
Venom injectors
turbo exhaust

these should help. dont know how custom you want to get with it though....

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
i was looking at some webers the other day they look like the right stuff for the job,a bit noisey for for the faimly truckstar thow.....

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's going to stay fuel injected, and I need to keep it daily-driver reliable also.

I haven't done the update yet, but we did do an IPD exhaust upgrade. We also did the VX cam and about 2 degrees adjustment on the cam gear.

I'm a big fan of OEM parts, so the idea of using components out of other cars like the 740 is attractive to me. OEM parts tend to last longer.

I'm also wondering about larger aftermarket Throttle Bodies. Are they worth it and who do you recomond.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A cam and exhaust are the 2 major upgrades. Beyond that, there are a few little tweaks. If you can advance the ignition timing on your 240, try running premium fuel and advancing it a few degrees, until you get knock or automatic retardation. A fresh tune-up (cap, rotor, plugs) and good wires always helps. You can even try to index the sparkplugs like some Auto-Xer's do. A cold-air, free-flow filter or cone intake setup may help a bit.

I added a slightly higher fuel pressure regulator to my 240 (a 3.0 bar unit from a Saab 16V). There were also some 3.3 bar units used on the Porsche 928, and Philip Bradley told me that some of those rare Chrysler/Shelby models had 4.0 bar units. An increased FPR gives you more juice under WOT, but the O2 sensor should be able to compensate under normal driving conditions.

I've been looking at the MVP big-bore TB. I'm not sure it will really add HP so much as increase throttle response. If my exhaust manifold ever goes, a set of headers might get installed, too.

If you want to get really daring, you can try adapting B230FT parts to you motor and build up a LPT motor.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by celi85:
custom made intake with cone filter
That may help a little, but a heat shield is required.

quote:

Venom injectors
Not needed unless the engine can take in a lot more air, meaning head work, bigger valves, or a hotter cam. I'm not sure that LH2.2 would be able to handle larger injectors if they flowed much more than stock.

There's a lot to be gained by improving the flow characteristics of the cylinder head, but finding someone to do the work and do it correctly might not be easy. The typical port & polish and multi angle valve job should help a lot.

Ask Rob if he still has his spare Unitek header.

Get rid of the engine driven fan and install an electric fan, but only if you've got all the cooling system bugs worked out. The electric fans don't cool quite as well, but the only data I've seen is on turbo engines which obviously put a heavier load on the cooling system.

You probably removed a good bit of weight by installing the Recaros. The rear wagon seat weighs a lot too, but I guess you couldn't remove all of it because of the cargo gate.

Have I mentioned a manual trans swap before? It's a PITA, but the car will be faster, especially since you already have the 3.73 rear end ratio that goes with the auto (mine is 3.31).

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
you could also put an electronic thermo fan on. the advantage is quiter and you may also get a very very small increase in power. my freind put a saab 9000 cs thermo fan on his volvo. it got rid of the big shroud and the noise was also gone too.he cut the radiator hose and put the thermo swithch in,hooked up a relay and it was done. the fan kicks in evryonce and a wile.

michael.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.