SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BCS/TCV... replace myself or try to get the stealership to do it?

I've self-diagnosed problems with my BCS/TCV (or whatever you want to call it). Stealership wants $70 for it. I can order it online for ~$35.

My car is still under the factory warranty, but I know that the problem is hard for the dealers to recognize... would I be better off replacing it myself or going into the dealer and making a big deal out of what I want?

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
its easy enough to replace yourself. save the $$ and the hassle.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: (phuz)

even my parts dept only wanted 45$ and they are usually higher online but right on the fence as far as to justify shipping from an online vendor

It takes 2 minutes for a rookie to replace it. If you have any mods at all then it would be worth it to keep a spare in the glove box as this part WILL go out eventually even in a stock R.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

john from boston volvo village can hook you up for cheap. and then do it yoruself its just a matter of taking the cool looking cover off that does nothing next to the airbox and swapping some tubes and a set of wires. then your good to go http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: BCS/TCV... replace myself or try to get the stealership to do it? (legbend)

Quote, originally posted by legbend »
I've self-diagnosed problems with my BCS/TCV (or whatever you want to call it). Stealership wants $70 for it. I can order it online for ~$35.

My car is still under the factory warranty, but I know that the problem is hard for the dealers to recognize... would I be better off replacing it myself or going into the dealer and making a big deal out of what I want?

Do it yourself - it's a five minute repair:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=58247

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no problem replacing it myself. I've already had it mostly off to clean out the electrical contacts, I just decided to wait to see if it's worth having the dealer do it (hopefully for free) before I dropped my own money on it...

I'll call the other 2 local dealers and see how much they want for it...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: (legbend)

It appears the the TCV/BCS (whatever we choose to call it) can operate at a diminished level for quite some time before and does so in a very subjective way: no codes, no really obnoxious behavior just reduced performance.

That's going to be hard to convince a dealer of and you're likely to get a "could not reproduce problem" response. Maybe after a couple visists and some service escalation you could get them to cover the $50 part and labor. You might be lucky and they'll get it the first time around but the hassle was not worth saving $50 for me.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called another local dealer. Quoted me $42. Then he started asking me "Why do you think something is wrong with it? Who diagnosed it?"... nice...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »
It appears the the TCV/BCS (whatever we choose to call it) can operate at a diminished level for quite some time before and does so in a very subjective way: no codes, no really obnoxious behavior just reduced performance.
are there any apparent symptoms that would tip someone off to replace it? Or should it be replaced every so often as a precautionary measure?

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: (Cicada)

Quote, originally posted by Cicada »
are there any apparent symptoms that would tip someone off to replace it? Or should it be replaced every so often as a precautionary measure?

yeah...your boost is all whomping all over the place.

(whomping?!)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Cicada)

Quote, originally posted by Cicada »

I'm new to my R... so I would've never known the difference, but after reading a thread about it, I decided to go out and mess with it. The next time I drove it, it pulled much harder. I could hear the turbo all throughout 2nd gear and could feel it pulling throughout the rpm range... it eventually went back to what I was used to, but not as bad.

Of course, it could all be in my head... but even if it is, it's only $40.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (cschmelz)

Quote, originally posted by cschmelz »
where can I buy it online? Is there really a place I can order with an online cart versus making a call?

Email John @ Boston Volvo

[email protected]

Not quite the same as an online transaction, but if you don't want to call anyone.

John is top notch, and you will have it faster and with a better price than you would otherwise. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Any difference? I took mine completely out and cleaned it... no big change.

Seems to have really smoothed out my cold engine high boost stutter a lot... Cleaning it out has NOT worked for other people here--The part was only $37!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts

Any difference? I took mine completely out and cleaned it... no big change.

I replaced mine with a new one the other day. No noticable difference. So now I have a spare.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (cschmelz)

Quote, originally posted by cschmelz »
Seems to have really smoothed out my cold engine high boost stutter a lot... Cleaning it out has NOT worked for other people here--The part was only $37!!!

I'm calling the local stealership that quoted me $42 for the part. They have to order it, but I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts