SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to open a raw wound with the news Monroe have obsoleted the 4C shocks...
For those of you who have installed the BC Coilovers can you let me know what spring rates etc you used, I ordered and installed a set of the DS (just because my 4C were all leaking) and I'm coming to the conclusion the springs are way too stiff.

I have no particular reason for going with the DS except the local importer had them at only $100NZ more than the BR and well 'improved design' caught my attention.
Stock they are 5kg front and 12kg rear, but to get the front to stop feeling really bouncy I have to set about 22 clicks, at which point it's just hard.
I may have screwed up with the DS, but this feels like a spring issue not a damping one, at slow speed each bump gets about three spring rebounds.
At speed it feels fine, but regrettably that's not much of my daily drive.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Not to open a raw wound with the news Monroe have obsoleted the 4C shocks...
For those of you who have installed the BC Coilovers can you let me know what spring rates etc you used, I ordered and installed a set of the DS (just because my 4C were all leaking) and I'm coming to the conclusion the springs are way too stiff.

I have no particular reason for going with the DS except the local importer had them at only $100NZ more than the BR and well 'improved design' caught my attention.
Stock they are 5kg front and 12kg rear, but to get the front to stop feeling really bouncy I have to set about 22 clicks, at which point it's just hard.
I may have screwed up with the DS, but this feels like a spring issue not a damping one, at slow speed each bump gets about three spring rebounds.
At speed it feels fine, but regrettably that's not much of my daily drive.
Do a search of the R Forum for a BC Coil Over Update I posted last year. I had the same gripes, so bought custom valved damper from BC and stiffer front springs from QA1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like a spring issue. For anything it should be more like 8-10k front and 6-8k rear. These cars have a very forward biased weight balance. You should never have to adjust them to full damping to get them to ride good. Also contact the Reps at Bc and tell them the weight of the car and the weight balance. They should be able to help you get a better spring setup.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought 12kg, or more than double the front sounded odd, but the local agent says he's looked up several other brands and they are the same. I'm just a little perplexed at the suggestion above for stiffer springs.
5kg sounded light but when coming to a stop I get three rapid 'bounces' as it settles down, which to me feels like the damping can't keep up.
I guess if I get lighter springs I can use the preload to stiffen them up

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought 12kg, or more than double the front sounded odd, but the local agent says he's looked up several other brands and they are the same. I'm just a little perplexed at the suggestion above for stiffer springs.
5kg sounded light but when coming to a stop I get three rapid 'bounces' as it settles down, which to me feels like the damping can't keep up.
I guess if I get lighter springs I can use the preload to stiffen them up
Hey, I'm no expert but that's just what sounded logical to me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/QUOTE]

Sounded logical to me too, I managed to find some of Austins posts, it may be the heavier rebound damping rate that resolved the issue. I have e-mailed BC support so I will see what comes back.
It's a bit painful that I'll have to shell out more $$$ as everything will have to come out again.

I'm also kicking myself for not spotting that the compression and rebound damping were not SEPARATELY adjustable, which is what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
/QUOTE]

Sounded logical to me too, I managed to find some of Austins posts, it may be the heavier rebound damping rate that resolved the issue. I have e-mailed BC support so I will see what comes back.
It's a bit painful that I'll have to shell out more $$$ as everything will have to come out again.

I'm also kicking myself for not spotting that the compression and rebound damping were not SEPARATELY adjustable, which is what I was hoping for.
Yeah, if you want coliovers for the R with Separately adjustable rebound and damping I'm pretty sure BC will build you a set but it will be $$$$$$$.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts