SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I am currently looking to get bc coilovers for my s60r and doing away with the 4c system. I was just wondering if anybody running them could give me an idea of what spring rate to run

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
RBbugBITme is planning to do a group buy for high quality adjustable coil overs and like all group buys the price will depend on the number of participants. Many of us have the same desire as you and have been waiting for this GB, so hang tight and see what the pricing looks like. One high quality set will be less expensive than multiple low quality sets.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hopefully starting in a few weeks. You should check out his current GB die spherical bearing strut mounts for the rear of our cars. It will eliminate the rubber bushing for improved suspension action and stability. We're currently at 18 sets with another price break at 20!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
To answer your question, the current BC configuration is 5kg front, 12kg rear. Another member discovered front was too light and causing the shock to be compressed where we were nearly riding on the bumpstops so he contacted BC and got a set of 8's for the front. After testing, he feels 8's cured much of the crashing but might be a little extra. I went with 7's per his suggestion and will be installing them this weekend. Will post a review next week.

Buy through FCPeuro, as they have a promotional code of $75 off for any order $999 or more. They also have lifetime warranty and great customer service :) In your order, let them know you would like 7kg front, 12kg rear...just wait a week or so till I write my review.

For a street car and average track duty, BC is more than enough and by far the most cost-effective. It's cured the nasty sidehop that I had with 4C and once this issue is resolved this weekend, I think I'll be more than happy with my purchase :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
You're welcome ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Haha, glad I can help.
Will work on a write-up as soon as I hear back from Humza with his 7kg ones as well

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You can get the BC's on Amazon for $995 + free shipping and get them in 2 days if you have Amazon Prime. May be able to find a slightly better deal on eBay also.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You can get the BC's on Amazon for $995 + free shipping and get them in 2 days if you have Amazon Prime. May be able to find a slightly better deal on eBay also.

Even cheaper at FCP as they come down to $925-930 after the discount code. And honestly, with FCP's warranty terms and customer service, I'd still pay them the little extra bit I'm not complaining about my win-win :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
You're going to want to run ~550 lbs front and rear for mixed road/race, ~800 lbs front/rear for mostly race. That is, if you can choose your spring rate. Eibach and Swift make the best springs out there.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So interesting to see this, cause on my G35 I had 12k fronts and 10k rears. There was a larger following of BC and I felt like my car handled on rails when I had them on there.

I'd be interested to see what a true suspension guru would spec for our cars. With the weight distribution being so far forward, I would think the fronts would want a stiffer springrate, something like 12k fronts/8k rears.

Edit: After comparing the cars, the dry weight is about ~250 lbs more, and the distribution is 1% more forward. I'd go with 12k fronts and 10k rears just like on my G35 and use the valving to adjust for the additional weight up front and rear. There are 30 settings to choose from lol.

RBitBug's coilovers will be $2k+, BC's are $900-1000 and $100 to rebuild if any break and they are SOLID coilovers for non-pro use. If I didnt have brand new 4C on my car, I'd replace them with BC coilovers. In fact I might sell my 4C just to get them...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
After further calculations, not knowing our suspension geometry except for taking pictures off the internet and measuring roughly. I'd go with 10/8 for daily use and 12/10 for mixed use and 14/12 for track duty. Spring rate is linearly related to sprung weight (weight-unsprung weight), and therefore I think the front should have a higher springrate by about 25%, since there is about 25% more weight in the front corners of the car than the back corners

Just some guys opinion from the internet (who had these on a VERY similarly weighted car that performed exceptionally well :)).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You're going to want to run ~550 lbs front and rear for mixed road/race, ~800 lbs front/rear for mostly race. That is, if you can choose your spring rate. Eibach and Swift make the best springs out there.
Swift springs are what BC Racing sent to Viron and I for replacements.

So interesting to see this, cause on my G35 I had 12k fronts and 10k rears. There was a larger following of BC and I felt like my car handled on rails when I had them on there.

I'd be interested to see what a true suspension guru would spec for our cars. With the weight distribution being so far forward, I would think the fronts would want a stiffer springrate, something like 12k fronts/8k rears.

Edit: After comparing the cars, the dry weight is about ~250 lbs more, and the distribution is 1% more forward. I'd go with 12k fronts and 10k rears just like on my G35 and use the valving to adjust for the additional weight up front and rear. There are 30 settings to choose from lol.

RBitBug's coilovers will be $2k+, BC's are $900-1000 and $100 to rebuild if any break and they are SOLID coilovers for non-pro use. If I didnt have brand new 4C on my car, I'd replace them with BC coilovers. In fact I might sell my 4C just to get them...
I'll let him speak on the calculations he made to come to those #'s. I'm just glad that I won't have the front crashing about like it does now :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wow how'd you figure out the price before I did? That certainly isn't the target.
Sorry $1700 "ish" plus tax plus shipping.

So just under double BC's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To answer your question, the current BC configuration is 5kg front, 12kg rear. Another member discovered front was too light and causing the shock to be compressed where we were nearly riding on the bumpstops so he contacted BC and got a set of 8's for the front. After testing, he feels 8's cured much of the crashing but might be a little extra. I went with 7's per his suggestion and will be installing them this weekend. Will post a review next week.

Buy through FCPeuro, as they have a promotional code of $75 off for any order $999 or more. They also have lifetime warranty and great customer service :) In your order, let them know you would like 7kg front, 12kg rear...just wait a week or so till I write my review.

For a street car and average track duty, BC is more than enough and by far the most cost-effective. It's cured the nasty sidehop that I had with 4C and once this issue is resolved this weekend, I think I'll be more than happy with my purchase :)
What did you do about the 4c system to disable it or do you just have to deal with the lights on the dash?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What did you do about the 4c system to disable it or do you just have to deal with the lights on the dash?
4C resistors fabbed up in sweet little boxes by Viron :) This is a solution for 04's, whereas 05+ simply require cutting the bottom half of the shock out. Gabriel (biased_waffles) wrote a full write up!

btw, noticed you tried to send me a PM but my inbox was full. I've cleared it up now so messages will come through.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts